Subaru Outback Forums banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
OBDad, I went to the dealership to get an oil change this morning and they told me of the air bag recall. I had not received a notification from Subaru yet either. They had the new airbag on hand and changed mine out.
Do you have the part number and description of the replacement from the work order? There was a question in the other thread if the replacement is a permanent fix or a temporary like-for-like swap.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do you have the part number and description of the replacement from the work order? There was a question in the other thread if the replacement is a permanent fix or a temporary like-for-like swap.
Had mine done yesterday.

98279AJ06A :RC AIR BAG MODULE P KIT

I don’t think it is a like for like but still may be made by Takata.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know when they will be issuing parts for the E-brake recall or the best place to check on that from time to time? I can't believe it's been almost 4 months with no fix yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got the Takata passenger front airbag notice on Monday 3/4 after business hours. Tues I called the four closest dealers and they are all scheduling 3-4 weeks out. One told me SoA only lets them have 20 of the new parts on hand. In the meantime this is our family car, frequently all 5 seats are full, and the notice says not to let anyone ride in the passenger seat. So now I'm calling dealers back and trying to figure out who can be the most helpful with a rental or loaner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got the Takata passenger front airbag notice on Monday 3/4 after business hours. Tues I called the four closest dealers and they are all scheduling 3-4 weeks out. One told me SoA only lets them have 20 of the new parts on hand. In the meantime this is our family car, frequently all 5 seats are full, and the notice says not to let anyone ride in the passenger seat. So now I'm calling dealers back and trying to figure out who can be the most helpful with a rental or loaner.
We just received the Takata recall, "TKC19", notice. I called the local dealer and was told their earliest "airbag appointment" was on April 19, over six weeks out.

I asked if they could take the car sooner if the airbag would be done along with other needed maintenance work. The service advisor said Subaru only gave them airbags for three replacements a day and they were fully booked for the next six weeks.

We are in northern NY, in the Adirondacks, where there are few dealers, but a lot of Subarus on the road. This safety recall was already delayed because we are not in a designated higher-risk zone. Now we wait another six weeks.

Takata recall status as of November 2017: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/the_state_of_the_takata_airbag_recalls-report_of_the_independent_monitor_112217_v3_tag.pdf
As of November 2017: thirteen acknowledged deaths from Takata airbag shrapnel, hundreds of confirmed injuries, 46 million unrepaired airbags in 34 million vehicles.
High humidity and temperatures make the Takata airbag propellant deteriorate faster. The government (NHTSA), decided to create three zones in the U.S. and territories, based on risk levels for the airbag failures.

People have been killed when airbags exploded from minor parking lot collisions. One man died when he used a hammer while doing repairs on a 2001 Honda Accord.

If you get a recall notice, call your dealer!

Everyone can look for recalls on their cars by entering their VIN at SaferCar.gov.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/category/recalls
Recall TKA-19 - "the states of Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands. 43,394 total vehicles are affected in these U.S. states."
Recall TKB-19 - 330,120 vehicles. Twenty states and District of Columbia.
Recall TKC-19 - "the states of Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. This recall affects 452,630 vehicles."

The recalled vehicle counts for the three recalls don't seem right. The overall total for Subaru was said to be 783,000 vehicles. I guess the Zone A count of the 43,394 highest-risk vehicles was not included in the press release announcing Zones B and C. (https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/subaru-recalls-783000-vehicles-for-takata-airbags.shtml)

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are in northern NY, in the Adirondacks
Ithaca here, and our local dealer was useless. Told me to "just drive extra safe" while we wait. Another dealer 20 min away shuffled some things around and was able to get me into the shop today and a 2019 Outback loaner until the job is done. Call around to everyone you can, hopefully someone will be helpful!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The airbag notice (received it over the weekend) says it's a 3 hour repair. It must require extensive dash teardown to take that much time! Heck, the body wiring harness replacement for my Toyota Sienna to address the power sliding door issue was only quoted at 2.5 hours, and for that exercise two rows of seats, carpeting, and most of the lower dash had to come out along with both sliding doors gutted.

I always get concerned when that much plastic removal is required on a 5 year old vehicle in cold weather. I had to do extensive replacement of plastic clips and retainers on the Sienna due to breakage and generally poor workmanship from a no doubt rushed and tired shop crew. I don't look forward to having to deal with yet another trashed interior.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My car was ready in 2 hours after the recall including oil change,trans oil change,brake fluid flush,cabin and air filter replacement, and wash! I commented to the servive advisor they must of put 2 mechanics on my car. She said nope....our best mechanic!

The airbag notice (received it over the weekend) says it's a 3 hour repair. It must require extensive dash teardown to take that much time! Heck, the body wiring harness replacement for my Toyota Sienna to address the power sliding door issue was only quoted at 2.5 hours, and for that exercise two rows of seats, carpeting, and most of the lower dash had to come out along with both sliding doors gutted.

I always get concerned when that much plastic removal is required on a 5 year old vehicle in cold weather. I had to do extensive replacement of plastic clips and retainers on the Sienna due to breakage and generally poor workmanship from a no doubt rushed and tired shop crew. I don't look forward to having to deal with yet another trashed interior.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Boston here. Finally got the airbag recall notice in the mail. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it. Seems like it required quite a teardown of the car interior but I didn't see any problems when I picked it up last week. Wonderfully uneventful.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If SOA apparently believes the issues is severe enough to warrant advising people not to ride in the passenger seat until the passenger side airbag can be replaced, why was the dissemination of said information delayed; apparently in concert with their scheduled plan to phase in the replacements?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another way of putting it: is there only an urgency to not have anyone sit in the passenger seat ONLY after one receives the recall letter?

·
Registered
178 Posts
If SOA apparently believes the issues is severe enough to warrant advising people not to ride in the passenger seat until the passenger side airbag can be replaced, why was the dissemination of said information delayed; apparently in concert with their scheduled plan to phase in the replacements?
Another way of putting it: is there only an urgency to not have anyone sit in the passenger seat ONLY after one receives the recall letter?

Subject is a dead horse. Read through

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/506929-airbag-recall.html

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Most of the people on the forum don’t have any friends to sit in the passenger seat anyway! :wink2:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Degradation of the inflator chemistry and hardware seems to be a Time/Temperature/Humidity event. The use and storage conditions of no two automobiles are exactly the same, so engineers have to do a reliability assessment on the rate of decay based on modeling, accelerated stress testing, and dissection of thousands of samples removed from real-world cars.

As you can envision, the results are complex and subject to error. No doubt, most of the bags in the 'replacement groups' are probably perfectly safe. By the same logic, some airbags in vehicles operating in worst-case conditions yet to be recalled may have already turned bad. As they can't make replacement parts fast enough nor schedule shop time for 10's of millions of cars in zero time, we are forced to play the probability and statistics game.

IMHO car makers aren't the ones making the call on this. Blame Takata. The government is doing what it can to ensure good data and limit injuries. This is costing Subaru and all other makers a fortune in likely unrecoverable expense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winston Salem, Nc here. Couldn't get an airbag replacement appointment for 2 weeks out. Then day before I was to have it done, dealership calls and says they don't have any bags as the manufacturer has run out! I'm now having to wait 8 more weeks!! they tell me not to have anyone ride in the passanger front seat! WTF?? For another 2 months I can't have my family ride in the front seat or take the long vacation drive?? Was told to call SOA to complain! Won't own another Subaru with customer service like this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you for providing link to thread, didn't realize it existed.

Not sure it's a "dead horse" ... still blown away by lack of timely information. I understand logistics of situation are likely off the charts, but if information = power ... I'd say Subaru severely dropped the ball as far as empowering its customer base.

No they didn't, your interpretation is incorrect

·
Registered
178 Posts
Winston Salem, Nc here. Couldn't get an airbag replacement appointment for 2 weeks out. Then day before I was to have it done, dealership calls and says they don't have any bags as the manufacturer has run out! I'm now having to wait 8 more weeks!! they tell me not to have anyone ride in the passanger front seat! WTF?? For another 2 months I can't have my family ride in the front seat or take the long vacation drive?? Was told to call SOA to complain! Won't own another Subaru with customer service like this.

It's not just Subaru ever manufacturer is effected. They don't make the airbags. My in-laws have a Ford Edge, they were informed not to let anyone ride in the passenger seat almost 2 years before a replacement was available. They finally had theirs done recently.

So best advice - buy a bicycle if your this pissed.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts
About this Discussion
243 Replies
134 Participants
timeandscore
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing