Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Here is a story for you! I have a big decision to make in the near future, maybe some of you can give me your two cents...

A month ago my dad told me he was willing to give me his 2005 Outback 2.5XT Limited. This was a huge upgrade from my 1991 Honda Accord, and so I decided to accept. I took a driving lesson to learn how to drive manual from a pro instructor, and the next day I was on the train to go pick up my new car.

I've had it for 2 weeks, and just a couple of days ago while driving the CEL comes on and the gas pedal stopped working. Was on the highway, but couldn't accelerate over 100km/h, and was slowing down.I made it back home, moving at a crawl on the highway.

Brought it in to the local Subaru dealer... and here is what they say... I need to change left side VVT solenoid at $278, turbo replacement at $1,800. And a right side tumble generator valve at $866. Looking at $3,000+ in repairs.. wow thanks for the nice gift dad!

I feel it might be worth it to have the repairs done, afterall I got the car for free. These cars should last a while right? If maintained properly? Should I just scrap the car? All they are offering for it as trade-in is $800.

Also, sure I was learning to drive standard on it, and my first couple of days were a bit rough. I learned quickly though and was driving really smooth most of the time. Did I cause all of this damage in the last 2 weeks, or was it more likely present when I got the car?

Thanks to anyone who wants to give my their opinion!!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
108 Posts
Give it back and buy your own car with your own money, then you can feel better about having to spend money on a vehicle.....wow.....could you be a little more ungrateful?

·
Registered
2000 SUbaru Outback Wagon. 2.5
7 Posts
Do you really think your dad would give you a car that he knew had problems? The car is worth significantly more than the cost of repairs. Scrap it??? We're are you located? I will give you scrap value for it right now. You do seem incredibly ungrateful.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Scrap it, trade it in? No! Those repairs aren't even half the value of that car. Besides the fact that an Outback XT is a bit of a rare bird. Sort of the ultimate "sleeper" if you will. Nobody expects a lifted AWD wagon to go that fast.

How many miles has it got? The turbo is the weak part of these cars. It's actually the main reason that I'm looking at H6 3rd gen Outbacks now instead of XTs.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
It's likely that some of these parts were significantly worn before you picked up the car.

There's no way to be sure.

The problem remaining is that you've accepted a nice gift- a car that was worth $32,000 when it was new. I don't know what local valuations for those are like where you live, but an 05 XT 5MT with no cool options would get $6000-10000 where I am. $3500 to get a car worth 6-10k sounds like a no-brainer to many.

On the other hand, if you are young and coming from a '91 Honda I imagine you're a bit short of cash. $3500 to fix it up feels like a lot. You could get a much nicer '91 Honda for that kind of money, and there's no chance of that melting another turbo.

Time for a talk with your Dad. It's clear that you can solve your transportation problem for less than what it would take to fix the Subaru. But you don't want the value lost on the gift to cause family trouble, so make sure he knows where you're coming from before you make a sacrifice.

If he's anything like other dads, he probably knew that the gift car would eventually break down and require decisions and cash. Would've been better for everyone if that had been later, but now here you are.

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Where are you located? There are a lot of very reputable subaru shops - many are members of this board. Having the work done with them and potentially using used parts (turbo specifically) will cut down on cost significantly.

Do you know what codes were pulled from the check engine light? Seems strange that everything would break at once, and create an undriveable situation.

How many miles are on the car? You might be able to "save" some future cost if there are regular maintenance items (timing belt) that can be taken care of while the other work is being done.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Oh and that dealer you took it to ought to be ashamed of themselves. They know what that car would sell for, and they can easily afford to do the repair. They are playing mad lowball on you.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,468 Posts
^ Yep. Dealers see someone come in with a high resale vehicle and hit them with large numbers for repair. If they don't get the repair, they'll try a trade in game. Take yours on trade, get a sale in deuces. The new one and the trade in. Make a load on the deal. The only way they don't is when you walk away.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Give it back and buy your own car with your own money, then you can feel better about having to spend money on a vehicle.....wow.....could you be a little more ungrateful?
Do you really think your dad would give you a car that he knew had problems? The car is worth significantly more than the cost of repairs. Scrap it??? We're are you located? I will give you scrap value for it right now. You do seem incredibly ungrateful.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Too bad your Father dont read this and take the car back ..... Kids like you now days get the world handed to you and still want more :rolleyes::28:

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,468 Posts
You guys should lighten up on the OP. You don't know the situation. You don't know the frustrations. You don't know him/her.

How many times have you said or did something while pissed off or aggravated and realize later it was a stupid thing to do? Venting.

Apparently there is a relationship with the dad since he gave up a car. The real question asked was is the car worth the high cost in repair as dictated by the dealer?

The value of the car is high. The repair dictated by the dealer is a bit on the ridiculous side. What are the codes stored on the ECM? Have you checked to make sure the accelerator pedal is plugged in tight?

Usually, when the car does not react to accelerator operation, it is either a signal issue between the pedal to ECM, ECM to throttle body or it in limp mode.

Get the car scanned, post the codes and then it can be determined where to go from there.

AND DEFINITELY DO NO GET RID OF THE CAR. Repair what ever it is it needs and keep it.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
properly repaired that car is worth keeping.

*** that turbo motor ***requires*** synthetic oil. if you don't run synthetic oil the rest of it's life then you're probably severely hosing yourself and have even bigger future repairs coming - that is the only Subaru motor this is true for, so you are likely to hear folks deny that if they're not familiar with Subaru's or that exact engine. ignore them. Subaru has a statement about it you can read at Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, WRX, STI, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek

what cardoc said - get us the check engine codes immediately. post the exact codes, not what some guy tells you they mean. like P0302....

have a second or third .....fourth....opinion on the vehicle. so far this sounds very suspect and there is no reason to jump right into a repair bill that steep without further investigation.

the comments in this thread seem in bad taste. If a Subaru blew up that I gave to someone (which I have done before) and my good friend joked with me like "way to go giving me Hiroshima".....I would LMAO, that's funny! lighten up or deal with some jealousy. he didn't come here to slam his dad, he's trying to figure things out and seems unfamiliar with cars. if he is ungrateful, so what, don't reply.

·
Registered
2000 (2nd Gen) Outback wagon 2.5 manual Dual Range
79 Posts
Also, sure I was learning to drive standard on it, and my first couple of days were a bit rough. I learned quickly though and was driving really smooth most of the time. Did I cause all of this damage in the last 2 weeks, or was it more likely present when I got the car?
Sounds strange that you say you had a lesson from a Pro to learn manual, you then say you learned quickly and even "drive it really smooth Most of the time"! But then you seem unsure by asking people on this forum if you caused all the damage! Nobody can answer this for you unless they were sitting with you for 2 weeks watching how you drove. If you have to ask then you probably did contribute to the failure. So to me it sounds like your not telling the full story.

Either way be prepared to spend money fixing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts