Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
2010 Subaru Outback CVT Test - YouTube

Video was posted yesterday (12/3/2012). Never realized it was that bad. Guess I don't reverse that often.

and evidently the ecu reflash tsb doesn't help.

Of course, if you had a few inches 'running start' it would mount the curb OK I'd guess so, a 'real world situation' where you'd be stuck might be uncommon. In fact, doing that in a bunch of soft snow or sand would make for a more damning video as I'd bet you'd have to get out and shovel.

embarrassing for Subaru to say the least.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I believe there is something wrong with that particular car. I can wedge my '12 up against a 4"x4" and pop up over it easily. Reverse is much taller that I would like, but it works OK.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I believe there is something wrong with that particular car. I can wedge my '12 up against a 4"x4" and pop up over it easily. Reverse is much taller that I would like, but it works OK.
My 2010 CVT will back over that also heck it will back my 1700lb boat trailer over that.

I don't put much weight on these videos given my car does the same thing when the parking brake is on and I leave my seat belt off. Not to mention this situation is fabricated given even in this example I can't recall ever BACKING over a cattle grate and even if I had to there is always enough room to pull forward and back up without starting out having the wheels blocked.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
This has been discussed over and over in another thread.

1 Lucky nailed it. It's not a real world problem, even the smallest rolling start will cause it bump right over any obstacle. You have to try hard to get it to get stuck. I've done it with my OB, and yes it sits there a revs, but if you just let off the gas and let the car naturally roll forward while still in reverse, then give it gas it pops right up. But, again, I had to intentionally try to replicate this problem.

4Wheel, your car will probably do the same thing. But its not a real world problem so you have never had your car in the exact situation to cause this.

Both wheels have to be against the obstacle flush, if you go at an angle one wheel will pop up then will the other.

Again, not a real world problem, so Subaru won't address it. I'm guessing it's solved with the new CVT in the '13.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I may have to post my first you tube video. I'm able to back over a 6.5 inch curb with out issue. I can not replicate thus issue.

I'm not denying that some people don't have this problem, but my car can mount the curb i think i did hit 3k to do it. I do have a 2012.

All these vids seem to show off pavement OB's. I wonder if Maybe the ecu is going in to "abuse" mode because of heat and high rpms?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I took my car to an abandoned parking lot and backed up into a grass median with the front wheels still on the pavement agains a ~4" curb. I slowly back the car into the curb, stopped then tried backing straight up. The car revved to ~3k and stayed there.

I then let off the gas, let the car roll forward ~4" and gave it gas backwards and it hopped right up. I tried at an angle and the car rolled up one wheel at a time. At no point was I "stuck", but this situation can be duplicated.

The rear wheels can climb the curb just fine, it's only when the rear wheels are elevated and the front wheels are stopped on the curb.

Again, not a real world problem and nothing to leave anyone stranded. There have been arguments that if you were on a trail and your car was up against a ditch and you had to back out, but couldn't roll forward, you'd be stuck... Maybe. But that's not real world, and if you're taking your car on trails like that you should at least have a shovel to help alleviate the steep edge.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited; 2009 Forester Limited
74 Posts
What caught my interest in this video is the methodology of slowly ramping up the RPM until the rev limiter kicks in. I'd like to see what would happen if the driver were to "punch it", or at least hit the throttle with more aggression than is shown in the video.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
I think the 2012 CVT behaves better than our 2011 did. Wonder if this is a first two year issue?

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
that makes me wanna trade for a 3.6r. but i've basically always regretted the 2.5i. lately ive come to accept the 2.5i was probably a better choice for me cuz of my commute, but yesterday i confirmed this issue. but i didn't know if i do one wheel at a time itll work. so who knows

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Premium
141 Posts
I am pretty sure if you do this one wheel at a time you will have no issue. You can also get a little running start and be okay. I will have to go test this myself. I did some digging and I guess there was a Service Bulletin / Flash recall for this in 2010. Not sure if my 2012 will have the same issue.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
My 2010 Legacy had this problem but my 2010 OB would go over the curb every time. My guess was that the reverse gearing is right on the edge so some make it over the curb and some don't. Definetly fixed in 2013.

·
Registered
2017 OB Premium 2.5 CVT
136 Posts
I tried this with my '13 2.5 CVT OB. No problem backing over a 6 inch curb with no rolling start.

I don't know if this is model specific or car specific, but I would not be happy if my OB couldn't do this. Part of the reason you buy an OB is to have a car that can handle unusual terrain situations better than most other cars. An OB that can't back over a 4-inch obstacle without a rolling start has a limitation that even a low-end Kia doesn't have.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
106 Posts
I tried this out this morning by backing my 2013 up to a 4" curb and it does the same thing.

It will sit there and rev if I put the wheels up against the curb and then try to back up over it. If I have any sort of a moving start, or hit the curb at a slight angle, it will pop right over the curb.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I tried this with my '13 2.5 CVT OB. No problem backing over a 6 inch curb with no rolling start.

I don't know if this is model specific or car specific, but I would not be happy if my OB couldn't do this. Part of the reason you buy an OB is to have a car that can handle unusual terrain situations better than most other cars. An OB that can't back over a 4-inch obstacle without a rolling start has a limitation that even a low-end Kia doesn't have.
Please give me a real world situation where this would be a problem. You only need minimal rolling momentum. You actually have to try hard to replicate the situation where it will stall and not move. I'm sure there are other cars that would act the same, it's just such an odd set of circumstances that 99% of people will never encounter it in day to day driving.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
I tried this out this morning by backing my 2013 up to a 4" curb and it does the same thing.

It will sit there and rev if I put the wheels up against the curb and then try to back up over it. If I have any sort of a moving start, or hit the curb at a slight angle, it will pop right over the curb.
My outcome was pretty much exactly as you stated but....

4.5" curb with both rear tires dead on the car rolled right up every time for a total of 6 attempts.

With a 6.5" Curb with the rear tires dead on the OB wouldn't roll up over the curb no matter how much throttle I gave it.

But if I hit the rear tires at the smallest angle with one of the tires grabbing the curb before the other it will roll right up with no problem but if both rear tires contact the curb dead on the OB can't climb over the taller 5" curb. Only when I give it a little rolling head start it'll climb over or at an angle.

But when I say angle it's very small like piratically both rear tires are touching the curb but one of them hit the curb first on initial impact.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Six Speed
5 Posts
No Problem with the MT

In response to awd-gg:

I have a 2012 MT and after seeing this video decided to try it out on my car. I backed up to a curb roughly 5 inches in height, ensured both tires were flush against the curb, and proceeded to back up with no problem.

I did it a few more times to ensure there was no "rolling start," and it always popped right up without issue. I'm not particularly surprised, because with a manual transmission you can of course just increase rpm until you have enough power to climb the curb.

As an aside, it seemed to take a bit more than 2500 rpm to get over the curb.

Hope this helps,

Ed

1 - 20 of 87 Posts