Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's aunt recently passed away and we inherited her 2002 Subaru Impreza RS. It only has just under 20500 miles on it. We would like to keep this car for a while so aside from changing the timing belt (which is about 2 years overdue according to the manual) what else would you suggest we have looked at? I'm aware of head gasket issues with this engine, but there doesn't appear to be any leaks in this one. We have a few repair receipts for this car, one of them showing the thermostat being changed 4 years ago with new antifreeze added.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My wife's aunt recently passed away and we inherited her 2002 Subaru Impreza RS. It only has just under 20500 miles on it. We would like to keep this car for a while so aside from changing the timing belt (which is about 2 years overdue according to the manual) what else would you suggest we have looked at? I'm aware of head gasket issues with this engine, but there doesn't appear to be any leaks in this one. We have a few repair receipts for this car, one of them showing the thermostat being changed 4 years ago with new antifreeze added.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Try to find out if the subaru coolant conditioner was added. The 2.5 in that model needed a additive to the coolant that helps keep the HG from developing leaks. The Thermostat should be Subaru Brand only if it was done by a subaru dealer then your fine. If it wasn't I would even suggest having the tstat checked given aftermarket tstats are known for causing overheating issues which could damage the engine.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try to find out if the subaru coolant conditioner was added. The 2.5 in that model needed a additive to the coolant that helps keep the HG from developing leaks. The Thermostat should be Subaru Brand only if it was done by a subaru dealer then your fine. If it wasn't I would even suggest having the tstat checked given aftermarket tstats are known for causing overheating issues which could damage the engine.
Thanks. That's something I didn't think about. The receipt mentions 1.5 gallons of antifreeze (doesn't mention whether Subaru brand or some other brand), and a new thermostat and seal (once again, no brand mentioned). No mention of any type of coolant additive. I'll mention this to the Subaru dealer when I have them change the timing belt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts