Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a 2013 OB, (4 cyl) SAP package. I'm looking to add a rear hitch since my Outback didn't come with one. The rear bumper doesn't have the cutout for a hitch either, so I wasn't sure if there's a specific one to buy or not.

I don't want to get bent over by going to a dealership so I figured I'd ask for opinions so I could potentially buy online. Any links and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if it matters, but I really won't be doing any towing with my OB, which leads me to my next question:

Can anyone recommend a rear bike rack that basically slides out of the way for easy access to the tailgate? I think I've seen some that do this. I could do a standard bike rack on top of the car but I really don't want to do this for personal reasons. I'd much prefer a rack for the rear but if it doesn't easily get out of the way for tailgate access, that's a deal breaker as well.

Thanks so much for your help and opinions!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Hello,

I own a 2013 OB, (4 cyl) SAP package. I'm looking to add a rear hitch since my Outback didn't come with one. The rear bumper doesn't have the cutout for a hitch either, so I wasn't sure if there's a specific one to buy or not.

I don't want to get bent over by going to a dealership so I figured I'd ask for opinions so I could potentially buy online. Any links and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if it matters, but I really won't be doing any towing with my OB, which leads me to my next question:

Can anyone recommend a rear bike rack that basically slides out of the way for easy access to the tailgate? I think I've seen some that do this. I could do a standard bike rack on top of the car but I really don't want to do this for personal reasons. I'd much prefer a rack for the rear but if it doesn't easily get out of the way for tailgate access, that's a deal breaker as well.

Search is a wonderful tool
STart here
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-mounted-bike-racks-need-recommendations.html

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Hello,

Welcome.

Lots of searching here will yield info on hitches. What I did might not fit your interests or values. I got a good price on factory unit and and dealer install.

Out of the way rack? Friends only let friends get 1 Up or give the advice of a Saris Freedom or other Saris if the 1 Up is too much money or not understood.

The beauty of my 1 Up became more evident when stored for winter.

The beauty of the 1 Up is also becoming more evident via my friends who were evangelistic over Kuats and others getting 1 Ups.

Add more 1 Up beauty when you meet your riding pals at the biggest vehicle and you pool your parts for quick change to carry 4 - 6 bikes on 1 rig.

Trust me that if 1 Up sucks, it sucks less than anything else.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
Personally I'm leaning toward a Torklift hitch and either a 1upUSA or a Yakima Holdup.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R Ltd
45 Posts
Personally I'm leaning toward a Torklift hitch and either a 1upUSA or a Yakima Holdup.
I just had the hitch installed yesterday.:D
I too was leaning towards Torklift (esp. EcoHitch) because you wouldn't have to drill holes to the base frame. It would have been a great DIY. But for this to work, I understand the bumper had to be removed and sounded like a lot of work. So, for $50 more, I was able to get a Curt and free installation (luckily, the store I went to had 20% discount on the hitch). I also bought "Inno" bike rack for $200. Reasonably priced, I think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I think you'll find as many opinions about hitches as there are brands available. But as a data point, my OB salesman steered me away from their hitch because it's too expensive and only 1.25 inches. Instead I went to a local hitch, rack, trailer, etc. shop and had them install a Curt hitch for $160. It sits flush against the bottom of the car and doesn't stick out at all. Yes, I believe they drilled a couple holes under the car to install it, but that doesn't worry me at all.

As far as bike racks go, I picked up a Thule T2 during REI's 20% sale and I like it a lot. But I can't open the hatch, so you'd probably like something different. When doing my research, I saw at least one that would tip down to the ground, even with bikes on it. That may be what you're looking for. There are hanging hitches as well that swing off to the side, but I can't advise you on those.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I bought a 2" hitch from U-Haul (same as Budaru). Low price, simple install and good quality.
Then I bought and use Bell 2 bike carrier. Available on Amazon, Walmart, Target and many other retailers. It folds down and you can open the rear deck. Simple to install and simple to use.
Bell Sports 2-Bike Hitch Rack Right Up : Target

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a 2" hitch from U-Haul (same as Budaru). Low price, simple install and good quality.
Then I bought and use Bell 2 bike carrier. Available on Amazon, Walmart, Target and many other retailers. It folds down and you can open the rear deck. Simple to install and simple to use.
Bell Sports 2-Bike Hitch Rack Right Up : Target
I don't yet have a Subaru, but I went with UHaul for the hitch on my truck. Their price was by far the least expensive and I'm very happy with it. The whole process from purchase to install took about 1/2 hour.

I'd also second the Curt recommendation. I installed a Curt hitch on my Civic coupe a few years ago for the purpose of holding a bike rack. Their design, at least for the Civic, is capped at the ends and sealed inside the receiver so it won't rust internally.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
I just bought a 1up hitch rack, hasn't arrived yet. Very expensive but I couldn't find anything else that looked like it would be as easy to store when not in use.

I'll know by this time next week...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just bought a 1up hitch rack, hasn't arrived yet. Very expensive but I couldn't find anything else that looked like it would be as easy to store when not in use.

I'll know by this time next week...
you will really appreciate the compact-ness of the 1up!

i do :)

i only have one tray and will prob get a second... even though the powercoat version will not match my anodized black one.

it really is very functional.

joel

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Just checking back in... I picked up my 1up at the post office and took it home and played with it for a bit.

Holy cow is this thing well built! It makes the Thule rack look like a pile of erector set leftovers at a yard sale.

I still feel funny about spending 95% as much as the bike on a rack, but the light weight, materials, finish, compact size... it adds up to be a great package.

They could probably market this as a bike carrier for private jets, if anyone ever puts a trailer hitch on a gulfstream...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just checking back in... I picked up my 1up at the post office and took it home and played with it for a bit.

Holy cow is this thing well built! It makes the Thule rack look like a pile of erector set leftovers at a yard sale.

I still feel funny about spending 95% as much as the bike on a rack, but the light weight, materials, finish, compact size... it adds up to be a great package.

They could probably market this as a bike carrier for private jets, if anyone ever puts a trailer hitch on a gulfstream...
lol.

on their FB (?) page they had a jeep loaded up with bikes on the rack and it flew for a few feet when they jumped a small dune/dirt hill!!!

of course, that is not really recommended - ha!

joel

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 1UpUSA rack is the best hitch mounted bike rack I've seen. I'm heavily involved with the SoCal High School mountain bike racing league, and I've seen all the bike racks. I use my bike rack probably 3 to 4 times per week and it is excellent. My friends have had Thule, Yakima Break on Gooseberry Mesa drive, Performance bike thrower, and are all investing in the 1Up USA. I've been stopped on the road to inquire on it. It is an investment, however.
BTW, my son and I installed the Torklift 2" hitch, my bike rack is a 2" due to my Superduty pickup, in my driveway pretty quickly. Not a bad deal at all and all the hints from this forum were invaluable.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R
16 Posts
If I can verify the the 1UpUSA will accommodate a long wheel base recumbent (70-73 inch wheelbase) it will be my next rack. I'm using an Xport rack that Performance made, or maybe Hollywood racks made it. It works, but I have to remove the front wheel and reverse the handlebars to get it to fit.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i
17 Posts
I recently purchased a Curt class III hitch for $139 shipped and a Yakima Bighorn 4 bike holder for $159 shipped.

I know they're not as nice as the tray style bike carriers but for the price and the quality it's a pretty hard deal to beat. I know Yakima has a similar style that is just as expensive as the 1up but you can add another section so you can carry up to 4 bikes. For close to $800 though. I just can't see spending that much to carry bikes. I love mnt and road biking and go very often so I will let you all know how the Bighorn works out. It has to be better than the window mounted Bell rack I used for a while.

Yakima Bighorn 4 Bike Carrier 2in | eBay

1 - 20 of 33 Posts