Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add a power washer to my array of tools and I'm looking for one that will be great for cleaning my driveway/sidewalk, vinyl fence and siding, but also gentle enough for my Outback. I'd like to pair it up with one of the foaming devices sold by chemical guys or other detailing companies as well.

I'm open to either electric or gas, but the most important part is that it's reliable, and has adjustable pressure for the above tasks. I did a couple of google searches, but I cannot seem to sift passed the amazon sponsored top 10 webpages.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,005 Posts
For occasional use, I'd recommend electric. No maintenance and cheaper. Don't know if they have adjustable pressure models, but my electric has different tips for different jobs. It also has an integral soap pickup tube. But it's an ancient Generac that was made in Germany probably 30 years ago.

EDIT - Just remembered I replaced the wand several year ago; that's where the 5 tips came from. The original had a sliding affair with a couple of flat reeds in it to adjust the pressure.

Reactions: PeteVK

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
84 Posts
I highly recommend the Simpson Cleaning MSH3125 MegaShot Gas Pressure Washer especially since you indicated you wanted to clean house siding. I do not find the maintenance onerous. similar to a gas-powered lawn mower with one addition: use a powerwasher pump guard when storing for 30 days or more.

For winter, I make sure the fill the tank with gas stabilizer added fuel and pump guard. Come Spring I pull it out of the garage, push the choke, pull the cord and I'm spraying with the best of them.

My best advice is DON'T buy a toy, BUY a TOOL.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,681 Posts
I would not use a high pressure washer on the soft components of a vehicle - it is too harsh.

Use something like this with low pressure air and hot water - and if you already have an air compressor, it's a lot less cost than a high pressure system. If needed the first time, spray on a little Zep 505 degreaser first.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I highly recommend the Simpson Cleaning MSH3125 MegaShot Gas Pressure Washer especially since you indicated you wanted to clean house siding. I do not find the maintenance onerous. similar to a gas-powered lawn mower with one addition: use a powerwasher pump guard when storing for 30 days or more.

For winter, I make sure the fill the tank with gas stabilizer added fuel and pump guard. Come Spring I pull it out of the garage, push the choke, pull the cord and I'm spraying with the best of them.

My best advice is DON'T buy a toy, BUY a TOOL.
I agree 100% HammEERman and I subscribe to the philosophy of buy once cry once when it comes to tools. Looking to keep it around $300-$350. Thoughts on this unit from Ryobi? RYOBI 2,900 PSI 2.3-GPM Gas Pressure Washer-RY802900 - The Home Depot

I'm wondering if it's worth splurging an extra $70 or $100 for a model with a Honda engine. Two options would be the Simpson or RYOBI 3000 PSI 2.3-GPM Honda Gas Pressure Washer-RY803001 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I made the mistake of maximizing GPM/dollar specs to choose a pressure washer and regretted it. I also emphasized the motor quality and that was also a mistake - not that the motor isn't important, but the part that usually causes problems is the pump. My Ryobi had a good motor but a low quality pump. This was 15 years ago so I have no idea if this applies to current models.

One desirable feature of pressure washers is that the pump turns off when you stop using water. My 15 years ago Ryobi didn't do that. I don't know how to choose a good pump. There's a website where a guy offers accessories/mods for low budget pressure washers to make the most of them, including Ryobi.

He also sells pressure washers.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made the mistake of maximizing GPM/dollar specs to choose a pressure washer and regretted it. I also emphasized the motor quality and that was also a mistake - not that the motor isn't important, but the part that usually causes problems is the pump. My Ryobi had a good motor but a low quality pump. This was 15 years ago so I have no idea if this applies to current models.

One desirable feature of pressure washers is that the pump turns off when you stop using water. My 15 years ago Ryobi didn't do that. I don't know how to choose a good pump. There's a website where a guy offers accessories/mods for low budget pressure washers to make the most of them, including Ryobi.

He also sells pressure washers.

Great to know SilverOnyx, thanks for the heads up concerning the pumps.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
633 Posts
I bought one over 20 years ago with that style Honda motor. Still runs great. Wore out the first pump. Thankfully replacements pumps are cheap and easy to install.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
84 Posts
I agree 100% HammEERman and I subscribe to the philosophy of buy once cry once when it comes to tools. Looking to keep it around $300-$350. Thoughts on this unit from Ryobi? RYOBI 2,900 PSI 2.3-GPM Gas Pressure Washer-RY802900 - The Home Depot

I'm wondering if it's worth splurging an extra $70 or $100 for a model with a Honda engine. Two options would be the Simpson or RYOBI 3000 PSI 2.3-GPM Honda Gas Pressure Washer-RY803001 - The Home Depot
The Simpson also has a HONDA GC190 premium residential engine so if it's just for the engine then don't spend the extra money for the Ryobi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts