Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Outback XT Wagon, Stage 2, etc etc etc
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using OEM rotors and ceramic brake pads (Akibono) but since I'm getting close to needing replacement rotors and pads (especially the front), I'm looking for either more stopping power with same size pads and rotors, or possibly upgrading the front brakes to the larger LGT brakes as I've heard this is possible. Has anyone done this with their OBXT? If so, what all is needed for this upgrade?
I've heard good things about EBC brakes. Any truth to this?
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,418 Posts
first, best upgrade is stickier tires. They stop your car, brakes stop them from turning.

It may be helpful to let us know why you need better stopping power; do you tow, race, bomb down mountain roads fully loaded? etc.

On my WRX, I like the upgraded Stoptech pads that were called Street Performance (I think they have a new name now?) Cold bite fine, no noise, good modulation , long lasting and affordable. (I run Kumho ECSTA 4X tires on my WRX)

unless it's just for the 'bling', don't get drilled or slotted rotors (MAYBE if you race.....debatable)

Other brands are all OK as far as I know; ebc, hawk, ferodo....etc.

some folks really like master cylinder braces for more immediate/firmer 'feel'.

lots of posts about brakes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
can i ask why you need more stopping power ?? my H6 brakes are great .... standard discs with bendix pads ...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the occasion when I have moments of 'spirited driving', I like to brake more aggressively. I like to let the horses out to run from time to time. I'm older now so I don't do it nearly as much as when the car was newer. Hers, and my bones, can't take as much abuse these days. I did install the Master Cylinder Brace (Grimmspeed) earlier this year, which helps. I'm thinking I probably won't go as far as going to the LGT brakes, but maybe some good rotors (not slotted or drilled) and some brake pads that have more bite to them. I think that should suffice.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium, 2005 Outback
23 Posts
I've always had good luck with Centric's premium rotors and Akebono pads - combined, they're reasonably priced and provide great feel. However, recently I went with PowerStop Evolution Geomet-coated rotors and pads package from RockAuto (More Information for POWER STOP CRK2373) for the front of my '05 Outback. I can't say I love the feel of these: I bedded them in exactly per their instructions and did a full fluid flush at the same time.

The fronts seem to progressively grab. The pedal is firm and the car does stop as I wish, but they just don't feel great to me - just kind of a mushy feel, not that positive bite. May get some Akebono pads to see if I can get that feel back.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
313 Posts
I've had great luck with centric premium rotors as well in 2 other vehicles. Once the OB is ready I will be using them here too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
if you are driving the car that hard to warrant brake up grades you bought the wrong car .... In 140ks of driving my H6 06 and some of it quick enough to get locked up for i have never had to even think about up grading the brakes ...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the occasional spirited driving is the same definition as driving the car 'that hard'. It's a true sleeper car and I only let the horses out when I'm in the mood. I bought the right car for my needs back in '05. Had 2 dogs and I still wanted something fun to drive.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,218 Posts
LGT brakes would be a big improvement and the swap is easy--rotors, calipers and caliper mounts. In the sex wagon I run slotted rotors with hawk 5.0 pads along with stainless lines. The stainless lines made the biggest improvement I think but it's hard to say... the brakes were pretty shot on her when I bought it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
722 Posts
if you are driving the car that hard to warrant brake up grades you bought the wrong car .... In 140ks of driving my H6 06 and some of it quick enough to get locked up for i have never had to even think about up grading the brakes ...
Isn't Australia relatively flat compared to areas in the United States? I wouldn't mind upgraded pads just for the amount of mountain driving I do, it doesn't take long before brake fade can set in. Upgraded pads/rotors is also smart if you do any towing. My brakes have a hard time to lock up the wheels, but I also run season based tires, winter for winter, summer for 3 seasons. In lightly spirited driving I have even noticed brake fade. Its just personal preference and region related i guess.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Isn't Australia relatively flat compared to areas in the United States? I wouldn't mind upgraded pads just for the amount of mountain driving I do, it doesn't take long before brake fade can set in. Upgraded pads/rotors is also smart if you do any towing. My brakes have a hard time to lock up the wheels, but I also run season based tires, winter for winter, summer for 3 seasons. In lightly spirited driving I have even noticed brake fade. Its just personal preference and region related i guess.
the world is not flat mate .... we have hills in Australia ... I am also running AT tires all year round . and if your ABS is working you should not be able to lock your wheels up... what brake pads are you using to get brake fade from lightly spirited driving ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
the world is not flat mate .... we have hills in Australia ... I am also running AT tires all year round . and if your ABS is working you should not be able to lock your wheels up... what brake pads are you using to get brake fade from lightly spirited driving ?
Yes I know that part about the abs, but I never get any feedback or hear the pump kick in, I have tested this on ice so I know abs functions just to be sure. I was looking at average elevation gains, it seems Australia doesn't have as steep as mountains to my state that is. I have used stoptech midrange(street?) Pads and they work okay. But once again, the stopping power, and brake feel have never been a subarus strong point, excluding a wrx/sti. For brake feel/power these are the worst i have honestly experienced. Almost as bad as my 72 dart with 4 wheel drums. I'm excited to see what other pad combos people have run though, always up for trying new pads.

·
Registered
318 Posts
have you checked all your caliper slides and caliper pistons to make sure they are not seized ?. if you are comparing a 72 dart with drum brakes all around as an equivalent comparison then your brakes on the outback are not working correctly ... Pointless up grading until you are 100% sure that nothing is seized etc .... you will still be at square 1

·
Registered
722 Posts
have you checked all your caliper slides and caliper pistons to make sure they are not seized ?. if you are comparing a 72 dart with drum brakes all around as an equivalent comparison then your brakes on the outback are not working correctly ... Pointless up grading until you are 100% sure that nothing is seized etc .... you will still be at square 1
Even newer subarus still feel similar, my older one as well. That's why their is so many people looking to get better pedal feel. Its just something subaru lacks. They stop well, but its definitely a weird feeling compared to driving other vehicles. All the brakes are fine on my outback, fresh fluid, bled to fsm spec. Even adjusted the free travel as it was excessive when I bought it.
I can still out brake other vehicles, mainly due to the summer tires vs all seasons. The 72 dart I could get to stop from 60mph(100kmh) in about 120ft-140ft. It didn't have horrible brakes, just pedal effort/feel same as a subaru. Its just not confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Even newer subarus still feel similar, my older one as well. That's why their is so many people looking to get better pedal feel. Its just something subaru lacks. They stop well, but its definitely a weird feeling compared to driving other vehicles. All the brakes are fine on my outback, fresh fluid, bled to fsm spec. Even adjusted the free travel as it was excessive when I bought it.
I can still out brake other vehicles, mainly due to the summer tires vs all seasons. The 72 dart I could get to stop from 60mph(100kmh) in about 120ft-140ft. It didn't have horrible brakes, just pedal effort/feel same as a subaru. Its just not confidence inspiring.
you ever thought it may be tire related if everything is working ok .... I have done 140ks in mine and the brakes are fine ... standard discs just bendix pads

·
Registered
722 Posts
you ever thought it may be tire related if everything is working ok .... I have done 120ks in mine and the brakes are fine ... standard discs just bendix pads
I don't want fine for pedal feel. I want good or average for the rest of the industry. What you arnt understanding is that the car STILL stops within factory spec, its the pedal FEEL, ie softer then any other vehicle of the same era.

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT;..... 2002 BMW M Coupe
183 Posts
I went with EBC Street series pads and rotors and am very happy with them. They don't seem to fade as quickly as the OEM pads did.

What ever you do don't make the same mistale I did with the first pad/rotor replacement. I was in a jam and needed to replace mine in a rush, (the pads were metal on metal). I went to AutoZone and got their "Premium" brand ceramic with their lifetime guarantee. Also went with their "Best" rotors. The rotors warped four months later, a month after the warranty period. the pads only lasted 20K miles. I did one free replacement on the pads and the replacements only lasted 18K miles. Then went with EBC 20K miles ago, I just checked them last weekend and they only have about 1/3 wear to them. The rotors have been great too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I decided to go with Power Stop Z23 front/rear brake kit. They got good reviews and the manager of the shop I go to also gave thumbs up. Getting them installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I went with EBC Street series pads and rotors and am very happy with them. They don't seem to fade as quickly as the OEM pads did.

What ever you do don't make the same mistale I did with the first pad/rotor replacement. I was in a jam and needed to replace mine in a rush, (the pads were metal on metal). I went to AutoZone and got their "Premium" brand ceramic with their lifetime guarantee. Also went with their "Best" rotors. The rotors warped four months later, a month after the warranty period. the pads only lasted 20K miles. I did one free replacement on the pads and the replacements only lasted 18K miles. Then went with EBC 20K miles ago, I just checked them last weekend and they only have about 1/3 wear to them. The rotors have been great too.
mate i am lost here ..... WTF are you doing to make your brakes fade..... are you driving the car like you stole it ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts