Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 4cyl/AT, 2003 Outback limited 4 cyl/AT, 2015 Outback Limited 4 cyl
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sirs

I'll be picking up my new (to me) 2002 Outback this Saturday and will be doing a bunch of maintenance items to it this weekend, as they apparently haven't been done to this vehicle.

I will be having someone pick up a few items at the Subaru dealer in the meantime as I am not close to any dealerships. I've read alot on this forum and have noted a few items that are recommended to be purchased as genuine Subaru parts, but thought I would ask in this post what specific parts are best bought from Subaru.

So far, as far as maintenance items go, I have learned to buy as genuine Subaru:

-T-stat
-PCV valve
-Plug wires
-Subaru coolant conditioner
-Radiator cap

What I plan to buy locally/non-Subaru:

-NGK spark plugs
-Coolant/oils/lube
-Air filter
-Oil filter
-Fuel filter

I also want to buy a timing kit on Ebay, is there any preferred vendor to use? I've found many different listings for these.

Any and all advice is welcome. I'm new to Subarus and am excited to learn!

Thanks-

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
lots of opinions on particulars but, I don't think the above would be a wrong choice by any means.

you might try to get a purolator PureOne oil filter, or a Wix or napa made for soobs. (might consider a dealer oil filter, get a coupla crush rings while you're there)

don't get the cheapest fram air filter

Stant or NAPA rad cap is probably OK but probably not notably cheaper than dealer. Good idea on the t'stat though.

auto or manual tranny? someone may suggest a specific fluid for you. H4 or H6 ? might have 2-3 items to inspect.

also, you might price the dealer items at a coupla on-line sites and challenge the local dealer to match prices. It works about 50% of the time.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
I went with an eBay timing belt kit, which included all the idlers and a water pump.

Within six months, I had to go in two separate times to remove a failing eBay timing belt idler and replace it with an old idler - a Subaru part that lasted it's expected 100,000 mile service life, plus another 20,000 miles before I replaced the engine (for completely unrelated reasons) and put all new Subaru idlers in with the new timing belt/tensioner/water pump.

The eBay idlers lasted six months under almost exclusively highway driving (between Kalamazoo, MI and Minneapolis, MN every other weekend). The Subaru idlers have lasted 40,000 miles under harsh conditions - many wide open pulls, rallyx, playing in snow....

Shop around and you should be able to find the Subaru idlers for a comparable price. Strongly suggest spending the extra few bucks for quality parts.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Your list is dead on. Stant now makes an XACTA thermostat so you don't have to go to the dealer any more, a bit cheaper and essentially a far more robust design, if not identical to, the OEM Subaru stat.

These are the guys that I used for my timing belt change on a 2.2 engine. In accordance with recomendations of GD, I would substitute the anzio water pump. I reused the tensioner. Use the genuine subaru thermostat if replacing it.

1990 1996 Subaru Legacy Impreza 2 2 Timing Belt Kit | eBay
They sell, as pictured those PCI kits - those are what you want to end up with.

I've bought some others kits I'm not a fan of and they look like lesser grade stuff, yet I can't think of the box/brand name. But I would get the PCI kit shown in the ebay link above.

Myself, and a few other Subaru hobbyist folks across the country that do dozens, if not hundreds of Subaru's, use those kits all the time and theimportexperts and those PCI kits are preferred. You used to be able to call them and get other parts too if you wanted, or change something about the kit if you wanted.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
CSFiend

So who's timing belt kit did you buy? I think everyone reading this forum would like to know!

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
CSFiend

So who's timing belt kit did you buy? I think everyone reading this forum would like to know!
The original, poor quality stuff? I'm sorry; I don't remember the brand. I know the whole kit was hilariously cheap -- $140 or so for belt, all idlers, tensioner, and water pump.

My current setup is all Subaru idlers, Subaru tensioner, and whatever water pump SSI had installed when I received the rebuilt motor. The belt is... Gates, I believe.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Gates makes a good timing belt kit for the 2.5 SOHC that comes with the belt, idlers and tensioner. Use Gates kits on all Subarus and never have a problem.

Water pump new can be purchased at a local parts store. GMB is a common brand sold at parts stores. Sometimes with the chain's name on the box.

Cam and crank seals along with valve cover gaskets and tube seals should be Subaru parts because the aftermarket won't fit proper and leak.

Packard or NGK wires are best. As are NGK plugs.

Be sure you do not use tap water in the engine. Use distilled or get your antifreeze premixed.

Wix/Napa are the same filters. Subaru filters are similar to Wix.

The transmission filter - Subaru only.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Gates makes a good timing belt kit for the 2.5 SOHC that comes with the belt, idlers and tensioner. Use Gates kits on all Subarus and never have a problem.

Packard or NGK wires are best. As are NGK plugs.
My serpentine belt is a Gates...seems to be pretty high quality and though it doesn't have many miles on it so far it's holding up very well.

One other thing I didn't see people mention: I'd definitely go for the platinum or iridium NGK plugs. Some say coppers offer better performance, but they won't last nearly as long. They were a pain to change on my H6, I'm sure the H4 is easier but I'm not sure by how much. They're not something I'd want to change too often so I'd go with the longest life plugs you can find.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
jp, I hope you used the #6 NGK it called for. If so, you should be good for 100k plus.

The only cars I install resistor in is none. Not anymore with the platinum and iridium technology giving the plugs long life.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
I've seen Aisin recommended as a good water pump but cardoc and others here have the real experience.

this is a good thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts