Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am planning on upgrading my headlight bulbs to provide a brighter light for night driving. Since I have never bought new bulbs, I am wondering what types people have had success or not with and if anyone has any recommendations. (My car is a 1999 Outback)

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Hey guys,

I am planning on upgrading my headlight bulbs to provide a brighter light for night driving. Since I have never bought new bulbs, I am wondering what types people have had success or not with and if anyone has any recommendations. (My car is a 1999 Outback)

Thanks,

Michael
Polishing your lenses can double your light output without changing bulbs.

If you do change bulbs, don't let anything touch the glass on the new ones- handle from the base only. Even a half fingerprint worth of contamination can significantly shorten the bulb's life.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Polish the Lens and add hid's , Most the "fancy" light bulbs you buy are just over priced halogens

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. To clear up, I have recently restored the headlights with a kit from 3M (and was pleased with the results.) I was just wondering if anyone knew of bulbs that provide better visibility with a quick, easy swap. But maybe I am expecting too much from my stock headlights??

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
It's tough to get much more light without using more power, and more power means more chance of popping fuses or burning wires. Subaru cut it pretty close with wire sizes IMO. As such, most 'hi-perf' replacement bulbs are only a little bit brighter, and generally at premium cost. Where they can deliver is by using higher quality glass in the bulbs- clearer glass = more light on the road per watt. Philips & Sylvania are all over that, look no further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha, thanks again.

For my '99 outback, the manual calls for a 9007 (HB5) Bulb No. (12V-65/55W).
For some reason, I was under the impression that I needed H4 bulbs. Anybody know what the difference is between these? (I am having trouble finding these HB5 bulbs online.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd recommend contacting Daniel Stern (Google search). He sells bulbs with great specs & explains why some types are money wasted. He informed me that my '99 H/L assemblies had the poorest optics/reflectors of all 1st generation types. He was very thorough when I contacted him, without talking over my head (I'm getting shorter!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
H-D
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing