Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2018 Subaru Outback limited with the 3.6R engine.
It's the first new car that I ever bought and my very first Subaru.

So far from my reading the only thing that seems highly recommended is a skid plate.
Is there a list somewhere of highly recommended modifications?

For example are the stock rims and tires worth changing?

Thanks Everyone! : )

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Limited
8 Posts
Out of the box, the Outback is a fine car and will serve your needs. Depending on your geography, the stock tires may leave much to be desired. If you don't experience much rain or snow, then you'll likely be fine leaving it stock. If you never plan on going offroad (like real offroading) then the skid plate will be overkill. As everyone has their own taste, you'll find varied responses. It's your car and your money.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,908 Posts
As with all cars, first thing is to think for yourself where you wanna go with that car , what you wanna experience with it. And then from that you can understand what things you need to make your car better suited for that. Maybe you need skid plate maybe you not, same for tires or even lift.
Some people doing offroady mods just for looks too. So it depends what you need. Car is fine as it is for normal use and even some off roading. Understanding what your car can do and what it cant is more important then put some mods in it. Meaning that skid plate wont save car if you will do some extreme stuff with it without thinking first.
Its called Outback for reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Southern California so I rarely deal with rain and no snow. I would like to take it for some offroading, but nothing too extreme.

I will do 97% of my driving on roads though so I don't want to sacrifice ride comfort which I read happens when you lift the Outback.

Is there a list somewhere of modifications that people tend to do somewhere? Then I can go through each one individually and do my own research on their merits.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
239 Posts
I agree with @acuracing and @scalman. The outback is a great car as stock and the best mods are dependent on geography and how you will use your car.
Personally, the first thing I changed was the battery....a good ‘cheap’ mod.
Then I changed the tires after one tire got damaged and winter was approaching.....
I went a little crazy after that - 19mm sway bar, wheels, tires, overload rear springs, roof rack system, hard wired DVD system, 2 inch lift kit, canister filter, stiffer sway bar bushings (thanks @traildogck)..... still contemplating a bumper guard and led light bar.
You may want to check out LP Aventure.... they have a ton of off-road mods for the Outback.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2017 2.5i Limited. I have gone a bit sick with it but who cares? There are worse addictions than Auto-Tweakaholism...

1. Weather Tech Floor Mats
2. Wheel Arch Moldings
3. OEM Tow Hitch & Wiring
4. Blue Subaru Puddle Lights
5. Cargo Area Bungee Cargo Nets
6. Blue Subaru Footwell Lights
7. Blue Laminex Fog Light Films
8. Grille Blacked Out - real paint, not Plasti-Dipped - Satin Black (Kept Chrome Trim)
9. Subaru Windshield Sun Screen
10. Subaru Seat Belt Covers (Rear)
11. Hitch Receiver Brake Light
12. Brake Light Flasher Module
13. Arm Rest Organizer Boxes
14. Front License Plate Bumper Frame
15. Moonroof Air Deflector
16. Thule Roof Basket - installed only part time (used for camping trips)
17. Thule Hitch Mount Bike Rack - installed only part time (used for camping trips)
18. Thule Roof Mount Bike Racks - (when not camping)
19. Removed the Cheap-Looking Chin Cover (front bumper cover) to Make The Chin Match My Blacked Out Grille

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts
I have a 2017 2.5i Limited. I have gone a bit sick with it but who cares?

1. Weather Tech Floor Mats
2. Wheel Arch Moldings
3. OEM Tow Hitch & Wiring
4. Blue Subaru Puddle Lights
5. Cargo Area Bungee Cargo Nets
6. Blue Subaru Footwell Lights
7. Blue Laminex Fog Light Films
8. Grille Blacked Out - real paint, not Plasti-Dipped
9. Subaru Windshield Sun Screen
10. Subaru Seat Belt Covers (Rear)
11. Hitch Receiver Brake Light
12. Brake Light Flasher Module
13. Arm Rest Organizer Boxes
14. Front License Plate Bumper Frame
15. Moonroof Air Deflector
16. Thule Roof Basket
17. Thule Hitch Mount Bike Rack
18. Removed the Cheap-Looking Chin Cover (bumper cover) to Make The Chin Match My Blacked Out Grille
You need the sway bar upgrade and CKE SSP sway bar bushings to lock that hulk down. Lol.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...6-subaru-specialty-products-tdck-cke-ssp.html

Just cal me "Mr Peddle-More" And chance I get to shine the shingle....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tell me more about these lights. Me want.
Subaru Logo Puddle Light Kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BY6KH1A/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_kDryAbN9ZMKC4

Subaru Foot well Illumination Kit

https://www.subarupartsandaccessori...kxcdxrskUPbWmWH-a2m8ThXEoAOuVrARoCG_4QAvD_BwE

The footwell illumination matches the blue illumination in the door handles, console cubby and cabin overhead.

The puddle lights are showing as not available but I am sure there are other sources of these.

The installs for both of these were easy and quick.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
Let's make this a $200 begining project and you can add from there.

1. Upgrade the RSB to either 19 or 20mm for around $100.

2. One of our esteemed members sells upgraded bushings in 75 or 85d hardness. Not a vital upgrade but well worth it conjunction with the RSB. the bushings are around $40. 75d is a good place to start and it's easy peasy to intall.

3. Fumoto oil valve for around $25ish.

4. A screen protector or glare reducer for the HU. Around $25.

That will get you started.

We can also cover spending for your next $200 and for that I'd just buy either the full Husky or Weathertech matts for front, rear and cargo. It's more than $200 but h_ll, you'll be so happy with the car by then that you'll happly spend theh money.

For your next $200 consider upgrading all the lights to LED. Lots of options here.

If you're feeling kittenish and have another $100-200 to spend, there is a lot of info suggesting the factory battery is suspect and not strong enough or designed for the long haul. Most owners replace it right away or the dumb ones let the dealer replace with another horrible factory battery and the cycle continues until they wise up and buy a good aftermarket battery and the problems go away.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
... the dumb ones let the dealer replace with another horrible factory battery and the cycle continues ...
My Legacy 2.5 went 3 years on the original "weak" battery, with never a full discharge or a no-start, before the dealer replaced it under warranty anyway when I had them apply the "battery life" TSB. Now I have a month-old battery with a 30 month free replacement warranty, pro-rated to 85 months. When the new battery starts showing signs of weakness and/or old age, I'll replace it then, but not before. In the meantime, I also have a CTEK "smart" battery charger that I connect overnight every couple of months. Who's dumb now?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
My Legacy 2.5 went 3 years on the original "weak" battery, with never a no-start, before the dealer replaced it under warranty anyway when I had them apply the "battery life" TSB. Now I have a month-old battery with a 30 month free replacement warranty, pro-rated to 85 months. I also have a CTEK "smart" battery charger that I connect overnight every couple of months. Who's dumb now?
Its still you but you have a high CQ (cuteness quotient) that more than makes up for it.

:x

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts
2. One of our esteemed members sells upgraded bushings in 75 or 85d hardness. Not a vital upgrade but well worth it conjunction with the RSB. the bushings are around $40. 75d is a good place to start and it's easy peasy to intall.

Oh Pray Hands, Pray Hands....

"I am blushing super hard under the mask right now"

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
299 Posts
Only two mods to date, a screen protector for the head unit and a "flat bed tow only" sticker. Then again, I've only owned it 10 months and I'm cheap!

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
784 Posts
Weather tech floor mats.
Screen protector.
LED cargo light.
Dog tag on key fob that says, "If found please call xxx-xxx-xxxx".
303 Aerospace Protectant on every rubber/plastic/vinyl surface.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Aftermarket floor mats (take your pick there are at least 3 models out there). I went with the 3DMaxPider for $85.
LED bulbs in all the interior sockets.
Aftermarket battery. (I went with the Optima Yellow Top when on sale through Amazon for $185)
Upgraded high beam bulbs to a tint that closely matched the HID's in the low beams.
Replaced the crappy halogen fog light bulbs with LED's. However, this changes the light output that I needed to treat it like a high beam and not use when there is oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
18 Posts
Interior LEDs are an easy starter mod that makes the car feel more like a luxury brand and brightens up the inside
Adding side cargo nets is another easy mod

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.