Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Subaru maintenance schedule for 2013 (and pretty sure 10-12) says oil/filter/tire rotation change every 7.5 months/7500 miles. The "dealer recommended" service from mysubaru says 3.75 months/3750 miles. Is that needed - esp with the 13s requiring synthetic oil? Just the dealership trying to make more money?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
A full synthetic is good for 10k miles. The dealership is trying to make money.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I realize the 2013 has a "new" engine but these threads are still reliant.

Oil and Fuel Discussion - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...on/42732-first-oil-change-when-2012-2-5i.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/89-oil-fuel-discussion/46031-when-change-oil.html

I haven't posted it yet but I just had my last oil analysis done and even at 5500 miles the oil was still in very good shape. Listen to the manual and ignore the dealer (unless something is broken).

However, I think your oil changes should be 3000 for the first and 7500 after. That's what it was for the Forester 2.5 (the new outback 2.5) and the 3.6 in the Outbacks. Hopefully someone else can confirm for you. Changing your oil too soon definitely will not hurt anything. New engines do not need oil changes nearly as often as the dealer would like to see you.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Follow your owner's manual.

·
Registered
2012 Ice Silver 2.5i Limited
65 Posts
Follow the manual. Due to where I live (severe condition), the manual recommends 3750 interval but the dealer just told me if I switch to synthetic and pay the difference in oil cost, $20 (free 2 year maintenance plan) I could go 7500 between oil changes.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R
136 Posts
And read the "severe conditions" section carefully. Not every condition listed pertains to every maintence procedure.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Severe conditions in Florida? Do tell.

I think they consider severe conditions to be for very, very cold places where you'd need oil with a thinner viscosity. I'm talking Alaska cold.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Severe conditions in Florida? Do tell.

I think they consider severe conditions to be for very, very cold places where you'd need oil with a thinner viscosity. I'm talking Alaska cold.
Yeah, well.......If you listen to the service writer, we all live in areas requiring the severe conditions schedule. I live in NM, so the service guy's reason was because "The air is so dry here!" In Floriduh, it is most likely because of the damp air. You cannot win with those guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Subaru knows the cars better than the dealer. The oeople trying to sell oil (the dealer) will try to sell as much oil as possible.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah, well.......If you listen to the service writer, we all live in areas requiring the severe conditions schedule. I live in NM, so the service guy's reason was because "The air is so dry here!" In Floriduh, it is most likely because of the damp air. You cannot win with those guys.
Tell me about it. Every service adviser I've ever dealt with acted like I was driving an old Pinto.

I've yet to deal with my Subaru guy. I'm going to miss the rapport I had with my Ford guy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The footnote for the oil change states that driving short distances often is considered a severe driving condition. I am in NYC and during week days there are only short distances within the city. It is only on the weekends that my OB will get to the highway and get some big miles.

My dealer also recommended 3750m intervals.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
... are they all the same?

Not by viscosity/wt alone are they equal, ILSAC/API grades are spec’d as well.<O:p</O:p

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Curious what make full synthetic are people recommending for the new 2013 Outback, or are they all the same?
Any API Sm or SN rated 0w20 will suffice for warranty purposes.

Typically Quaker State and Pennzoil's synthetic 0w20 will be reasonably priced at WalMart.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Pretty sure that 0-20W only applies for the 2.5 as I recall the 3.6 takes 5-30W.
Did they change the viscosity change for the 3.6?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Negative.

0w20 for the FB series 2.5.
5w30 for the 3.6.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i-Auto. 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium, Cypress Green
548 Posts
As an additional consideration the 2011 Forester FB25 first oil change was required at 3000 miles but Subaru changed that requirement for the 2012 and the manual stated first oil change at 7500 miles, just like the 2013 OBW FB25. Must be a reason for the extension.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
Hmmm, I guess I'm lucky. Both the dealer, who I thought was pretty good, and the service manual say 3000 for the first change, 7500 for the second, and then every 7500 from then on. I live in North Florida. I sort of doubt it is to make money as I don't pay for oil changes in the first 2 years. Oh, I have a 2013 / 2.5.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Hmmm, I guess I'm lucky. Both the dealer, who I thought was pretty good, and the service manual say 3000 for the first change, 7500 for the second, and then every 7500 from then on. I live in North Florida. I sort of doubt it is to make money as I don't pay for oil changes in the first 2 years. Oh, I have a 2013 / 2.5.
Your 2013 manual says first oil change for a 2.5 is at 7500. 3000 is 3.6 only. But hey, if it's free go for it.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
I'll be doing my first oil change between 2,000-2,500 and probably once a year after that. I only do 6-7k a year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts