Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new 3.6 Touring, and realize that my phone holder of choice (an iOttie model that sticks to the windshield with a suction cup) isn't going to work with the EyeSystem, unless I mount it towards the A pillar, which I do not want to do. (In the past, I've put it just to the left of the rear-view mirror.) What do folks use to hold their phones? Yes, I realize that the car has nav, but I use Google Maps. so even Car Play doesn't help there. Do folks recommend mounting the holder on the dash, or using a vent-mounted holder?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 OB / 2008 Impreza / 1985 FJ60
156 Posts
I recommend the Ram mount b-316-1-202u.. plus the x grip, or finger grip mount....
Yeah it is expensive, but will outlast any other mount out there... it has a solid feel to it, it's close to you, and out of the way from anything on the dash board.

I bought the SCOSCHE MAG12VB last year, but now it keeps falling apart at the cig lighter connection....

·
Registered
14 Posts
For $10, I got "WizGear [2 PACK] Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Phone Holder" on Amazon. Great deal for a 2 pack and have an extra in my wife's car for when I drive it. Doesn't affect Eyesight. Great position to use for navigation.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
650 Posts
I'll never use a suction cup again.

It only has to fail once or twice to break your device. And in cold weather, it fails.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP here. Thank you for all the recommendations. I don't use my phone to navigate that often (and maybe I just need to learn to love the Apple Maps program through Car Play, or the built-in nav), so some of the more involved alternatives (like Pro Clip) aren't ideal. I guess I'll go with with a vent-clip holder, and get a cheap case and mount the steel plate. The metal plate will interfere with wireless charging, so it'll be a case just for the car.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
I have an iOttie wireless charging holder and wasn't having much luck with suction mount - the charger + phone is just too heavy. I ended up using an Arkon vent mount with a 17mm ball head with the iOttie charger/holder. If I want Android Auto, I plug the USB cable into the phone, if I don't want AA I plug the USB into the iOttie (or neither, for short drives). Not the most secure clip to the vent (iOttie's actually looks better), but it's reasonably stable, and I didn't want a plate on my phone/case because I use wireless charging (not a fan of microUSB longevity).

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited, ES, HK, hitch, wheel arch moldings, Glasscoat.
79 Posts
I can't post links yet, but search on Amazon for:

u-good cell phone holder for car air vent

It clips to the air vent over the nav screen, installs in a minute, holds the phone secure and near, and costs a whopping $10. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't post links yet, but search on Amazon for:

u-good cell phone holder for car air vent

It clips to the air vent over the nav screen, installs in a minute, holds the phone secure and near, and costs a whopping $10. Highly recommended.
Thanks! I'm actually pretty impressed with the built-in nav; so much better than the Honda nav system in the 2016 CR-V. But sometime Google Maps is just key, so I bought this holder. Amazon had a $2 coupon for it, so only $8 delivered.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited, ES, HK, hitch, wheel arch moldings, Glasscoat.
79 Posts
Thanks! I'm actually pretty impressed with the built-in nav; so much better than the Honda nav system in the 2016 CR-V. But sometime Google Maps is just key, so I bought this holder. Amazon had a $2 coupon for it, so only $8 delivered.
Awesome! I'll think of you while I spend my commission. :grin2:

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an '18, glad to hear you like the updated nav.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 10" tablet mounted at the end of my armrest, and it's great for navigation, music, etc. (If you haven't, be sure to check out the Waze nav app. Made by Google.) Since the tablet handles navigation, I now keep my phone unmounted, and just pick it up when I want to mess with it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i with CVT
44 Posts
I run a Magic Mount by Scosche, works great for what I use it for, convenient for navigation since I don't care for the built-in navigation because I miss turns when I'm on the music screen even though it displays the directions in the little center screen. Attaches with 3M tape and has an adjustable base plate and uses a metal plate for your phone or case, also attaches with 3M tape.

"Scosche MAGDMB MagicMount Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile Devices" on Amazon without the quotes, I cannot post links yet.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i
55 Posts
I use an older version of this Koomus vent mount. I've had it for many years, used it in my old Camry before transferring it to the OB, so it has proven to be durable. I don't care for the built in Nav system so I use the mount mainly to use Waze.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
I use an extra-sticky suction holder that I attach to the little triangular window on the door. I like this set up because 1) It doesn't block the view; 2) It's close enough to see and reach; 3) If the phone gets too hot, you can point an air-vent at it to cool down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts