Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I put General Altimax Arctic 215/65 17 (a bit narrower and taller than the oem tires) on my '13 OB and I'm wondering what would be the right tire pressure to run on these. Any recommendations/opinions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
I'd stick to the 32/f 30/r as suggested for the stock tire size. Just make sure you adjust them while they are cold and they should be fine.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
In a taller/narrow Tire, you will probably find the stock pressure too soft as there is more sidewall. I would bump it up a couple PSI at least.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
In a taller/narrow Tire, you will probably find the stock pressure too soft as there is more sidewall. I would bump it up a couple PSI at least.
You would think that is the case but it is almost opposite what Subaru recommends.

Looking at their tire pressure recommendations it seems the tires with the smaller sidewalls get higher pressure vs taller sidewalls getting lower pressure. I dono...

FWIW I run 216/65/16's for my winter tires on my 2005 and I'm currently filled to 36/f 34/r. I do this so my mpg stays somewhat consistent. I do notice more road noise and a bit rougher ride but it doesn't bother me so I guess it is essentially up to personal preference.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I can see why you would think that ( although I don't take maunfacturers tire pressure recomendations too seriously) But on the chart you are showing, the tires with the higher pressure are more likely due to the speed rating (V vs. H vs. T) of the stock tires on that chart. In his case I would expect to use numbers closer to yours 36/34 and then maybe let a little out if you find it to hard for comfort or wear on the center tread. I run 37f/34r on my tires (not stock)

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the feedback. I'm at 35f/32r but I have a better air pressure gauge; the one I have is key chain one so I don't trust it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. I'm at 35f/32r but I have a better air pressure gauge; the one I have is key chain one so I don't trust it.
You are "in the neighborhood" :D

Should be fine just watch for uneven wear over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts