Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Apologies in advance if this is handled in another thread - could someone please advise a Gen 4 Subie newbie which large-interval maintenance is worth doing at the dealership? I'm sure we all receive these mailings for major service at 7500, 15,000 or 30,000 miles and I'm curious as to which is worth doing at the dealership, or elsewhere, outside of the obvious oil changes.

Christopher

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
I plan to do all Simple maintenance at home on my own,
but 30, 60 and 90 intervals I will bring my Outback to my
local Subaru Professional.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The 30K is still just a check service, do oil and filter, air and cabin and rotate tires. Easy and fast. While you are under the car check for leaks and spray silicon on the window tracks and hinges. Done and easy. While the tires are off check brakes but they should be fine. Cost for oil filter $5,99 Subaru on line Air and cabin around $37,00 total same sight. The two filters will take 10 minutes max to change. The dealer will charge upwards of $200 for just these. WHAT A JOKE. Oil get a Fumoto Valve for the oil change.
Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

Attachments

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
What engine/transmission do you have?

I'm curious as to which is worth doing at the dealership

Christopher
None, with some qualifications.

Dealers and many oil change places typically oversell like crazy and each of those mileage services ends up being another car payment. Many cars I see have costly service records with many thousands more spent than I spend. I shoot for 300k on mine and I don't need thousands in maintenance to do it. Most owners who expect far less reliable miles than me don't need to spend that kind of loot to get to their next trade in. Of course it's convenient and worth it to some to have the peace of mine, that is understood and holds value too.

The 30k and 60k maintenance schedule items from Subaru cover all the key areas and are all easily done anywhere - preferrably but a trusthworthy mechanic. Many of us do all our own maintenance, nothing special about it.

Anything outside those 30k and 60k maintenance items are simple tasks anyone can do. Even the 30k and 60k are easy though and can be done anywhere - but if you were prone to choose and have some dealer work done - it would be the 30k and 60k items.

Note - the best value is to tell them what services you want - don't pay for the "30k service packages" - they are filled with fat. Just tell them what you want done - read the list - replace X,y,z.

I would do brake fluid at 60k, not 30k, that is way overkill and you'll notice no difference. I live in the mountains and tow with mine and I change mine like every 100,000 miles, just once or twice while I own them. Subaru's brake systems are very robust and failure is rare.

1. Thermostat and PCV are best from Subaru.
2. Filters, battery, and fluids do not need to come from Subaru so long as they meet the owners manual specifications. Spark plugs should be OEM NGK but can be purchased at any store.

So - nearly all maintenance can be done elsewhere if you make sure they use the proper fluids/parts, which is all spelled out in your owners manual.

There are some repairs that I would favor Subaru over (in recommending, I do all repairs myself personally), so ask as you encounter those.

You can always ask/check here before repair-maintenance for specific tips here and proceed accordingly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What engine/transmission do you have?

None, with some qualifications.

Dealers and many oil change places typically oversell like crazy and each of those mileage services ends up being another car payment. Many cars I see have costly service records with many thousands more spent than I spend. I shoot for 300k on mine and I don't need thousands in maintenance to do it. Most owners who expect far less reliable miles than me don't need to spend that kind of loot to get to their next trade in. Of course it's convenient and worth it to some to have the peace of mine, that is understood and holds value too.

The 30k and 60k maintenance schedule items from Subaru cover all the key areas and are all easily done anywhere - preferrably but a trusthworthy mechanic. Many of us do all our own maintenance, nothing special about it.

Anything outside those 30k and 60k maintenance items are simple tasks anyone can do. Even the 30k and 60k are easy though and can be done anywhere - but if you were prone to choose and have some dealer work done - it would be the 30k and 60k items.

Note - the best value is to tell them what services you want - don't pay for the "30k service packages" - they are filled with fat. Just tell them what you want done - read the list - replace X,y,z.

I would do brake fluid at 60k, not 30k, that is way overkill and you'll notice no difference. I live in the mountains and tow with mine and I change mine like every 100,000 miles, just once or twice while I own them. Subaru's brake systems are very robust and failure is rare.

1. Thermostat and PCV are best from Subaru.
2. Filters, battery, and fluids do not need to come from Subaru so long as they meet the owners manual specifications. Spark plugs should be OEM NGK but can be purchased at any store.

So - nearly all maintenance can be done elsewhere if you make sure they use the proper fluids/parts, which is all spelled out in your owners manual.

There are some repairs that I would favor Subaru over (in recommending, I do all repairs myself personally), so ask as you encounter those.

You can always ask/check here before repair-maintenance for specific tips here and proceed accordingly.

2.5 engine with CVT. It hold 4.5 qts not the 5 that dealers like to put in. I agree, most services from dealerships are filled with FAT.
The 2.5 engine is a breeze to work on.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. Very valuable information for my 2011 3.6 premium outback. The local general-purpose garage is quite familiar with Subarus (this is New England, after all), and I like the idea of working out a laundry list of items with them. They're great guys. I also agree that I would not ask the local garage to do some repairs (e.g. TSB work, entire engine replacement... :) ) Really a case by case basis, I guess.
Christopher

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
32 Posts
Uhh.. don't you guys have a few free oil changes at your dealers? We've got 2 years of that stuff. Maybe it's just the 2013s?

Kind of a no brainer for us - drop it at the dealer, let them do it for free.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5 Limited CVT Satin White, Nav, Roof, bodyside moldings, rear bumper underguard, 3M Paint Protection
121 Posts
Uhh.. don't you guys have a few free oil changes at your dealers? We've got 2 years of that stuff. Maybe it's just the 2013s?

FWIW, my dealer offered lifetime oil changes.....and synthetic is included.....as a part of their new delivery package. After taking my '12 in for it's second synthetic (Subie brand) change at the 9000 mile mark back in early December, the dealer advised they've amended the offering to two (2) synthetic changes per year. Apparently, too many folks.....said to be predominantly owners of used vehicles.....were "taking advantage" of the program.

I guess they concluded owners using such cars for business just put too many miles on their vehicles (requiring correspondingly more changes) in a given year, and offering them "unlimited" synthetic as part of the Program made that aspect a loser for them. I do appreciate where this dealer is coming from, since I'm a road-warrior type who typically changes oil every 6-8 weeks (5-6K miles) in my Chevy Malibu fleet vehicle.

Fortunately, excessive mileage should not be a problem for me with my OB.

·
Registered
2013, Outback, Premium, 2.5L
10 Posts

Bought our new Outback a little over a month ago and figured on doing all the oil changes and most of the maintenance myself but SOA sent me the free 2 year maintenance package right before Christmas. I just went over 3K mileage so Fresno Lithia Subaru did the oil change for free. Good Christmas present!!

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Watch the dealer don't hit you over the head, for all the free oil changes. There's not much out there that's free. Everything free comes with a price.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts
...this should help. Service sched right from the FSM.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts