Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic, 2002 H6 Outback wagon VDC + 2001 2.5 VDC
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
On the Gen 3 forum, there is an almighty thread on suspension and what people are using..
I have read a lot and need to read a lot more.. But have deduced some key info..

Seems our 2000-2004 cars have stiffer damping rates than later cars.. with 2 flavours to choose from too..

My 2002 H6 is a bit wallowy now and the rear shocks are definitely past best and I want to mod it a bit as nobody this side of the pond has done much (Anything)...

Based on the following, what are people running and recommendations..

The plan is to replace the rear subframe as its grotty and sort out any other bushes etc with wear.. replace the supposed self leveling rear shocks, apply a 1.5-2" lift to the rear end (while subframe is out seems sensible)
Front I would get spacers on the top mounts to raise by the 1.5-2" also.

Wheels and tyres.. thinking of installing 17" rims and 225/55r17 all season (Nokian weatherproof) tyres to finish "the look" and give it some all round ability.. (light of road and all weather capability..)

Of course the shocks will be replaced and from what I read, KYB seem the only real option..

1. Fronts 2000-2002 replacements 334275/6 (These are the ones listed for all gen 2 OB this side of the pond)
or
2. Fronts 2002-2004 alternative 334447/8 (Baja/late OB models) with bigger damper rod and more damping.

Rears, I can only find the one style.. 341276 (same each side)
Do these KYB rears replace the original self levelers?? its not clear from what I can find..

Alternative rears are a Pedders kit inc the springs.. But I cant find anyone thats used these to get an opinion..

Springs.. (Anyone got the details on std and alternative spring rates??)
I was going to retain the stock H6 springs at the front.
Rears, either find a set of alternative springs or have a pair made with approx 10% stiffer rate..

I will be adding skid plates etc... (And if I can find an LSD, that will go in)

So.. what can anyone recommend?

Thanks in advance..
Si

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic, 2002 H6 Outback wagon VDC + 2001 2.5 VDC
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, that's not a thread that came up in my search.. more reading...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have the self leveling rear shocks with different (shorter) springs.. so if the KYB (listed above) is the correct shock for a non self leveling, I need to get a pair of non leveling rear springs.. which might be harder to do this side of the pond..
There is a Pedders rear "conversion kit" available, but its 300 quid..
I can get the KYb shocks for £85 for the pair.....
springs is what I need now..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found some more info with a bit of digging..
K-Flex (kyb) spring
RA6429 appears to be the non self levelling
RA6430 seems to be the self levelling spring..
both are available this side of the pond
So looks like I can convert using the 341276 rears.. and for less than £140..

Ok.. so it doesn't get me stiffer springs etc.. but at least they are new springs.. can drop the spacer on the top and in the subframe..

Rear spacers I can make.. fronts might be better to purchase so I get the camber/Castor correction ones.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
I have read here of "pedders" items in discussion from aussie and kiwis with them trying to replace discontinued auto levelers on subarus.

and I wonder if you got very little rust on the originals if they could be rebuilt.

_______

the other thing you can do is to add some new KYB, and OEM items,

and mix in some megan or whiteline items. (such "might" give you a ride similar to the auto levelers).

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,438 Posts
Since you have self leveling it's difficult to know what your current ride height is. Can you measure in the front and rear the distance from the fender lil to center of the wheel so we know what your current ride height is.

A popular option here is to use the Turbo Baja springs. Depending on your Outabck this can add as much as 1.1" of lift. These work great with the stock shocks or KYB shocks and add a good amount of stiffness. From there you could add some spacers. You can also run a bit larger tires.

You should also look at King Springs which make some lifted springs for these vehicles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well. I need to do this on a budget. The stock self levellers are bouncy so adding stiffer springs ain’t gonna Benefit. (None available in any case from what I can see)
the rear end is sagging. Will take some measurements.
For the cost of rebuilding the sls (if possible) it would cost more than the car purchase price.
Baja springs ain’t available this side of the pond nor are king springs, which cost more in shipping than the spring itself.
Hence the kyb shocks and kyb springs to suit. Which if are the correct ones to replace the sls? Are available here. With mostly home made lift kit (rear) and purchase some castor/camber preserving front spacers from your side of the pond (small enough to not cost the earth to ship and not so expensive)
I can also get a spring manufacturer to make me a set of rear springs based on the kyb replacement. X% stiffer or longer... or both if they don’t work so well.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Just get a set of BC BR coilovers for the 2000-2009 Outback.

Yes, the entire set up is $1000 USD. But you will bolt them in and have any height you want. I guarantee they will not be viewed as "wollowy". Done.

BC must ship to the UK or have a UK distributor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting option..
They have a uk supplier. Kit is 850ukp.. considerably more than the car cost me..
kyb replacement front shocks will cost me 140 pair.. rears inc springs.. 140 pair.. rear lift spacers (my time, while swapping subframe and would still need to do this with the BC's to keep geometry.. )
Front spacers for kyb (250?) wouldnt be needed for BC's to that cost could be offset..
Kyb would be fixed damping and limited adjustment in height etc..
BC's offer limitless fine adjustment to damping and height..

Real cost to use BC's over kyb is possibly less than £100... seems like a no brainer.. thanks for the suggestion..

Anyone using this BC setup...?

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Interesting option..
They have a uk supplier. Kit is 850ukp.. considerably more than the car cost me..
kyb replacement front shocks will cost me 140 pair.. rears inc springs.. 140 pair.. rear lift spacers (my time, while swapping subframe and would still need to do this with the BC's to keep geometry.. )
Front spacers for kyb (250?) wouldnt be needed for BC's to that cost could be offset..
Kyb would be fixed damping and limited adjustment in height etc..
BC's offer limitless fine adjustment to damping and height..

Real cost to use BC's over kyb is possibly less than £100... seems like a no brainer.. thanks for the suggestion..

Anyone using this BC setup...?
I have on (2) cars. On a 2005 and a 2006. They are a little harsh in the city on the sh*tty streets, but super stable on the highway. Spring rate and being stiff is the biggest complaint, if any.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And ride height?? Seems the forester guys biggest complaint is that it lowers the car as the shocks are shorter. I don’t want lower. And I don’t want stiff. Stiff suspension is nt good off-road as it won’t allow articulation and will really easily lift a wheel. Stiff springs can be sorted tho. But then the costs start rising and the hassle if you don’t guess the spring rates close enough. Sent a mail to the uk supplier. Not heard anything back so far.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 MT
17 Posts
I recently picked some front struts off a junkyard 2016 forester with about 5000 miles on them for $52. Just had to reuse the old top strut mounts (Group N strut mounts would be nice here) and have been more than satisfied with the result. Currently looking for a similar retrofit type solution for the rears.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,438 Posts
I have some BC Racing BR coilovers on an Audi. They are nice in that they have lots of adjustment for height without changing preload and they have adjustable dampeners.

You need to understand though that they are designed for the track and set up for a firm ride. The are complete assemblies and they have little to no rubber like the stock upper mounts. This leads to a bumpier and harsher ride depending on road conditions. Further, the coilover racing type springs do not have the same characteristics as the OE style springs.

The quality on them seems good, but I wouldnt expect them to hold up as long as a KYB factory style strut. The dampeners are replacebale though for $100 a piece.

You can also get them with different spring rate springs if you want firmer or softer.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Rocky Mountain Edition
7 Posts
I am a bit curious myself on this one.
Looking at doing my first suspension modification and what I am finding is a BC number of F-22-BR for a kit.
Curious if anyone has installed this kit and if there are any additional costs I should be expecting or if this is a fairly straightforward swap and get it aligned deal.
Haven't been having a lot of luck in my research on this one.
Just figure if I'm going through the trouble of completely redoing the front end with Moog bits and doing a full brake upgrade I might as well get the soggy suspension dealt with as well.
BC because I'd like some ride height adjustability.
If anyone has used them to lift any information on what you can get up to in tire size without clearance issues would be super helpful!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am the other side of the pond (UK) and baja springs are not available here.. unless by some crazy coincidence there are some K-Flex replacements or other accidentally landed here...

The BC look to not offer the lift.. rather, lower and stiffer..

I had measured the ride height quickly and had about 17" front and 16 1/4" rear... (quick measure)

Currently, the best/easiest/cheapest option is stock H6 fronts with new struts, and non self leveling springs and new struts for the rear.. add a small spacer kit..

King springs etc would be nice, but the shipping and import duty cost more than the springs..

May all be a moot point if this little coolant usage is more serious than a weep (which I havent found so far) turns into a head gasket issue.. the car will be scrap.... about 0.5L a week (300 miles)

I am condsidering a replacement.. if I find aother Gen 2 H6.... maybe a Gen 3 H6 or poss a 2.5 tho as lots more of them about..

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
I am the other side of the pond (UK) and baja springs are not available here.. unless by some crazy coincidence there are some K-Flex replacements or other accidentally landed here...

The BC look to not offer the lift.. rather, lower and stiffer..
I assure you the BC BRs for the OB will adjust high enough to lift the USDM OB. (which is higher then EUR to begin with) I can dig up pics if I need to. And you can lower to about legacy height. They are very stiff though and would no recommend for off-road unless you are looking to build a stout overlanding vehicle.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That’s great. And not great. Firmer is ok. Stiff isn’t. Just looking at what pics I can find, the strut length seems quite a bit shorter to start with. That’s not a good starting place. Stiff springs will of course make it sit up
Some pics and stats would be handy. Is there a thread with them in?
Cheers

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Some pics and stats would be handy. Is there a thread with them in?
Cheers
You can order them with different spring rates and Swift Springs. SS adds about $400to the $1000.00 tag.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts