Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback - EJ259 (California Emissions / ULEV)
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had some seafood stew leak on the passenger's seat of my 2004 Outback. Cloth seats, so it soaked into the foam underneath.

Are there any good online sources for describing how to re-cover seats ?

As this is the bottom part only, I am hoping that makes things relatively simple.

Perhaps I could take the cloth off, wash it good and re-use it, replacing only the foam, is that a correct assumption ?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Goodmorin'! (well it's morning for me)

Seafood Stew huh? Seafood is one of the harder ones but not impossible to clean in place.

DO NOT WAIT. Clean it or get it cleaned now. After a few days of not cleaning it you'll be buying a new seat. If you decided to do it yourself rent a machine (like a rug doctor) and hit it with upholstery cleaner. Make sure you rinse it out good with just water till there are no more suds coming out. Don't try to get away with using a wet vac or a bissell or something as they are not powerful enough. I don't recommend rug doctor for house carpet cleaning, but that's another topic for a another day.

I strong advise getting it cleaned professionally.

As for replacing stuff, if you know about how hog rings work and have the tools replacing the cloth is easy. Replacing the foam would not be possible for someone who doesn't know how in my opinion. It is possible to remove a section of foam only, but I would recommend having a shop do this. Do not remove the cover and wash it in a washing machine. You will never get it back on. Clean it in place. It might be worth removing it to clean the foam, then replacing it and cleaning the cover.

It would be worth the time and effort (especially if the first clean fails or too much time has passed) to simply get a new seat from a wrecker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. Junk yard was my default plan, so looks like I will go for that.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Pull the seat, hit it with a hot water pressure washer and some good detergent and let it air dry out in the sun for about a week. That's always cured most of what ails them.

Pulling the seat cover and foam requires disassembling the seat and cutting the hog rings, you'll need hog ring pliers and rings to replace it. It's a lot of work but possible.

I have a good passenger seat if you want just the base but shipping might kill the deal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, junkyard did not have the right color seat. So, I decided to take the seat apart. Not too bad a job, except that there are a lot of hog rings securing the cover to the rods that are built into the foam.

The plan is to wash the cover and the seat heater element pad in a combination of Woolite and bleach, and dry in the sun.

Looks like the mess mostly stayed in the grooves, so will pour some of the cleaning solution in those "valleys" in the foam and give it a good scrubbing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worked like a charm.

Except that I was horribly fascinated to note that the smell molecules (?) seemed to travel up to the upper seat, and stay there without fading over time. Setting that part out in the sun for a week, even after scrubbing the surface of the cloth down without dissassembling it, did not help.

Finally, took the upper seat apart and cleaned the heater pad, and that seemed to do the trick.

No more seafood in my car, ever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts