Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Crossfire
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite what BMW, AUDI, VW and Pontiac says....red lighting in car's interior is not the best choice for easy viewing. Red is irritating to the eye and small red lights tend to be harder to read than green/blue or white.

Luckily it's just the buttons in the 05 Outback that glow red and not the instruments or displays.

My question is,....how hard would it be to switch out the red for something more soothing? Impossible?

Other than that I love the car.

Dallas

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
I've read around at the various Subaru message boards that it can be moderately difficult, involving the climate control panel stuff, yet doable. Or I'm thinking of a mod to the actual HVAC controls and not just lights.

Something about colored lights I've always noticed is that my eyes will focus better on some and worse on others. Purple is real bad, red not so good either, same for blue. Green or yellow seem best, for me anyway.

I was just looking at my laser-etched 3D crystals on a multi-colored LED display base yesterday and when purple flashed on it went totally into a blur. More to it than eye lens focus, I figure, since the instantaneous focus change occurs coincident with the color change. Not even a moment of refocus happens, although if I purposely try to focus on the crystal etching while it is purple I sort of can do so but it takes a little time. Otherwise the focus (or blur) effectively flashes with the color change.

Oh yeah, and I wear eyeglasses.

Found the place I read before about changing control button lights, at:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=91
Car is a '97 though, so could be entirely different, or maybe similar in some ways.

·
Registered
Crossfire
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah **** nah!...that's too much of a job for me. Besides the finish on the components are likely to be scratched.

Oh well....thanks anyway for your help.

I work in TV graphics...news....and we generally can't use red typefaces because they tend to hemmorage/bleed on screen. The smaller the linework the worse it gets. Purple being just this side of red is also a problem...that and it's comes across as a darker color...makes it harder to see clearly.

Stop signs and school buses are the color they are because they are the most noticable colors....the reason they are is because those colors are the hues that actually irritate the eye....thus they really catch our attention.

As much as I love Audi/VW...their interior lights irritate me. Atleast Audi has gone to white for it's instrument panel but VW's red and blue look is alittle tough on the peepers. There blue is actually quite violet. Pretty but not something I want shining in my face all night.

I like Honda's green. Hate Nissan's/Infiniti's orange...but it's better than flat-out red.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts