Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am going to be purchasing my first Outback (Limited Eyesight) in the very near future. I intend to put the redesigned Torklift hitch on but is it compatible with the Rear Bumper Underguard option? I have been searching around but no luck finding a solid answer.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 2.5i
216 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Subie family (well almost). I just recently installed the original version of the Torklift and absolutely love the way it looks (high and tight) compared to other brands I have seen.

I know they changed the mounting holes to match up with the new generation Outback, but I don't see any way they could change the way the receiver exits the bumper without still having to make a small cut in the bottom of the bumper - the whole beauty of the Torklift is how tight it mounts under the bumper.

So to answer your question, yes I believe the underguard will still be compatible but you will have to make a notch in that as well. Honestly it sound like a bigger deal than it is, it cuts very easy and you can't even see where you cut once hitch installed unless you get down and look underneath.

Be sure to verify the actual length that they ask you to cut, I was able to cut it about an inch or two less than the directions indicated - it is very easy to see how much you need to cut when you actually hold the hitch in place.

You may want to consider installing the hitch before you install the underguard so you can see exactly how much underguard trim is required. It is very easy to loosen the hitch mounts so you can drop it down a bit to squeeze your (pre-notched) underguard on and tighten it back up.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome. I am really looking foward to having a utility vehicle. Right now I drive a 350z Roadster with a custom made bike rack, bit silly lol.

I absolutely agree about how clean of a look the Torklift is. As long as that underguard is something that can be cut/notched without it being a horrible experience I don't mind. I haven't seen the underguard in person.

You have been of great help and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As Trojan said, you'll have to trim the bumper and the guard. Not a big deal if you're
careful. And 6" or so will do, not the 8" from the directions. And don't open up
the upper holes in the rear floor for the mounting bolts. Fish them through after removing the bumper. Much cleaner install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts