Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked over all the threads and performed general internet searches and there is no consensus of WHAT LUBE to use or even if lube should be used at all on the snout where the release bearing travels.

The Subaru Service Manual does not even show whether lube should be used or not. It talks about lubing the pivot point and the contact point between the release bearing and the fork but IT does not seem to mention lubing the snout where the release bearing slides forward and back.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

I have to believe some grease needs to be used....IF SO, what kind? Does it need to have specific qualities?

Thanks for responding.

I attached some photos of my tranny bell-housing taken during my engine removal project.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Yes. Your new release bearing / clutch kit should come with a packet of extra-sticky grease, with which you should lightly coat the snout. If it didn't come with grease, you can probably pick up appropriate grease at the auto parts store. It's very similar to, possibly the same as, caliper pin grease.

You might consider a TSK for extra longevity.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a Timken Bearing. I have not heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new Timken bearing arrived and it had a small amount of lube on the inside surface that slides on the snout. Not sure if that is enough. It looks like Vaseline. Not sure if I need to add more or what type to add.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts