Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm planning to get my first Outback soon and am trying to decide between a new 2021 or a 2019. I've read a lot about the 5th Gen and wasn't even considering new, but since used Subies are so expensive where I am, it's actually a better financial decision to go new (less than 3k more for new vs. 2 year old w/ 20k miles). My concern is the reliability of the new Gen. Looking at versions with the base engine and I know the 6th Gen engine has "90% new parts" which worries me. I currently drive a >20 year old car, so looking for something to go the long haul.
Short of predicting the future, any thoughts on quality/issues with the current generation? Have you heard anything about the new 2.5L engines?
Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,216 Posts
The main engine change is that the 2.5 is now direct injection and the CVT fluid has changed. Reliability wise it's too early to say but you will have a warranty (and can buy an extended one if you want) - and benefit from the chassis improvements. There is an argument for choosing the 5th gen to get the last of the H6 engines but if you're getting the 2.5 I think the Gen 6 would be better overall in the long run, including things like resale value.

Reactions: a-a4 and bloomz

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,451 Posts
Just about everything on our 20 is better than on our 19. The 19 has better storage up front, like the center console and cubby below the radio. That's it. The 20/21 is the new platform, noticeably more solid. We have the 2.5 in both, and the 20 has been more reliable in that regard too. Perhaps our 19 was a bad apple, I think you'll be happy with either, but given a choice I'd go for the 20/21 for sure. If you want to wait a few months for the 22, possibly even better. BTW, the lane centering in the 20/21 works great, the 19 only has Lane Keep Assist. If you're shopping Premium trim, 21 has steering responsive headlights, 19 and 20 do not. If you're shopping Limited or higher, they all have steering responsive headlights. The LEDs on the 20/21 are much better than the projectors on the 19 Premium. The 20/21 have 8 "speeds" while the 19 only has 7.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
563 Posts
0% financing may still be available too.
For a long term relationship I would buy the one that makes you go :love:
Coming from a REX this thing will be a limo.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,844 Posts
I have a 2021 loaner and no I would not trade my 2010 outback 3.6R for it. while it is a nice car, it is not worth the significant cost increase and lack of butter smooth flat 6. It is not any quieter than my current car and it is not any more comfortable either.

I like the dash layout and eyesight bit eating $40K on one is not my idea of fun. will it be reliable? I dunno, it has 4477 miles on it and already the side plastic cladding is peeling away from the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I drove a G5 limited for 108k miles and it never left me stranded. The only "repair" (other than routine maintenance) was a failed trans cooler line which I replaced for $5.

I can't say how the G6 2.5 compares, as I opted for the XT this time, but the newer platform is heavier so it may feel even more like a slug.

There are minor annoyances like the ASS (honest acronym) system, lack of cockpit storage, and some people have had issues with the 11.6" HU. I have not.

There are small things I really like such as the trunk lock button (locks entire car and closes trunk), full exterior LED lighting, one touch lock on the door handle, and dual X mode and startex interior in my Onyx.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
I am currently in possession of a very problematic 2017 Outback 3.6L and a 2021 Outback 2.5L, I previously leased a 2018 Outback 2.5L as well. For me I would take the 2021 without any question in my mind, my only affinity for the Gen 5 by comparison is for the 3.6L engine but even that could not sway me from seeing that Gen 6 is better in every conceivable way in my opinion.

The dynamic is like the changeover from Gen 2 to Gen 3, as solid as Gen 2 was when you drove a new Gen 3 it just makes a late model Gen 2 seem like a very dated design. Gen 5 to Gen 6 is like that as well even though a 2019 is still a very solid vehicle all around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, this has been really helpful. I test drove a 2021 over the weekend and I didn't love it. It seems like visibility out the back is a little less than the 2017 I last test drove. Also seemed smaller in the cargo area than I remember, but I may be imagining it. The most annoying thing though, was the cluelessness of the sales guy. When I asked about any issues with the changes in the Gen 6 2.5L he insisted nothing changed. When I said direct injection is new, he insisted it's not. Ugh. Are there any sales people who know more about cars than how to use the shiny screen (which he spent most of the time talking about despite me saying I don't really care about the tech much)?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Your personal perception is what counts most. If front seat storage is important, you'll likely want a 19 instead of a 20/21 because the center console and pocket at the base of the front stack are both bigger on the 19. Cargo area dimensions using my tape measure show everything on the 19 and 20 are within half an inch of each other.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,216 Posts
What do you do when you know nothing about cars? You sell them. (just kidding!) But it is true that salesman often know almost nothing. I wonder how much of it is high turnover or if it's really a case that they simply have zero interest in the products. Did he tell you it has a V6?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I remember having to teach the sales staff at my dealer how the hands free rear gate worked. Many of them thought it was only included on the Touring because they couldn't get it to work on other trim levels.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,216 Posts
Even in healthcare you'd be surprised at what you find. I had a medical resident who believed in healing crystals and nurses that believed in aromatherapy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even in healthcare you'd be surprised at what you find. I had a medical resident who believed in healing crystals and nurses that believed in aromatherapy.
Oh lawd! I work in public health and am always amazed when I come across the Dr or nurse that leans that way. But crystals, really??! Wonder if that resident stayed in the medical field ( hope not)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts