Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a little bit bigger. I'm currently in a 2012 Impreza Sport that has had the CVT replaced at about 67k miles, just before they announced the warranty extension. Here's my dilemma: I know that my CVT is now good (and continues to be under warranty for another 12k miles as I only have 88k on the clock).

The 2011 Outback 2.5L I'm looking at has 131k.

If I'm to assume the dealer has no idea if the CVT has had problems or been replaced, am I nuts for making the trade?

It would basically be a car for car swap, with me taking the tax, title, license, and processing fees out of pocket.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
your impreza is in warranty for the fixed CVT and the problem FB engine to 100,000 miles.

a 2011 outback with 131,000 is out of warranty on the CVT,....not a good trade.

______

if you want a good trade for a bigger outback. try a 2011-14 3.6 outback with the great 5EAT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your impreza is in warranty for the fixed CVT and the problem FB engine to 100,000 miles.

______

if you want a good trade for a bigger outback. try a 2011-14 3.6 outback with the great 5EAT.
No CVT up until 2014? I’m a little disappointed in myself for not knowing that. Thank you for the heads up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

______

Also - is there something wrong with the 2010? Same gen as the 2011, right?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,193 Posts
I concur. Get a 3.6R / 5EAT combo. Still the best way to mitigate your long-term risk.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
If you paid to replace your cvt? Contact Subaru directly many dealers were essentially fleecing customers on cvt replacement costs which were covered by Subaru at a fix shop rate. Another words dealers who are 3rd party companies were taking the the most profitable approach to the cvt replacement vs the Subaru warranty approach for the same fix.

Subaru sent out mailers to OB owners where you could get reimbursed for this dealer scam.

If you did pay for your cvt I would contact Subaru about it asap and give them vin# and dealer details so they can investigate and most likely reimburse you.

Both my 2010’s were early release and have had zero cvt issues both almost at 100,000.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
If your dead set on buying used at a dealer demand to see the vin service note history. They read like a diary of every service visit. If the dealer wont show you walk away.

If its a private seller ask if they can get the dealer to fax the service notes and history to them so you can review them when you go see the car. If the seller refuses walk away.

I’ve bought 6 used cars for various family members and my self in the past 10yrs and every single one I was able to get full service note history for.

Three cars I looked at had rolled back odometers and had Texas service history which the seller claimed it was a CA only car. I walked away from those and reported the ODO fraud to local PD.

This is not carfax! Its actual auto maker service history with notes. Example 03-02-2018 owner wife dropped off Subaru vin# xxxxxxx mileage xxxxx complaint car stalled at stop sign, has happened several times over the past week. Then there will be service tech notes that follows this.

A faxed record will show all of this for every visit. All the way back to the day the car rolled off the assembly line.

Even in 2004 Toyota had this info on my 1993 Landcruiser I purchased from a private seller.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Check the Vin# on the car with the report, check the ODO with the report. I had one seller give me faxed dealer data for a different car once. Yup that one turned out to be a rolled back odo car. Last dealer record was from out of state a yr prior with 190,000 miles. Oddly the same car in CA only had 85,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you paid to replace your cvt? Contact Subaru directly many dealers were essentially fleecing customers on cvt replacement costs which were covered by Subaru at a fix shop rate. Another words dealers who are 3rd party companies were taking the the most profitable approach to the cvt replacement vs the Subaru warranty approach for the same fix.

Subaru sent out mailers to OB owners where you could get reimbursed for this dealer scam.

If you did pay for your cvt I would contact Subaru about it asap and give them vin# and dealer details so they can investigate and most likely reimburse you.

Both my 2010’s were early release and have had zero cvt issues both almost at 100,000.
Subaru replaced the CVT in my Impreza at no cost to me, even though I was out of warranty. I think they knew the extension was coming.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Also - is there something wrong with the 2010? Same gen as the 2011, right?

subaru used CVTs in:

the impreza of 2012- present.

the Forester of 2011-present

and the legacy and outback H4 of 2010-present.

2010-15 CVTs are in the extended warranty, ...and from reading what subaru has said to someone with a 2015 H6, they pull the old CVT out send it back to japan, and give it newer later parts in its rebuild to put in another customers car.

glad subaru took care of you.

and I remember the Justys with the ECVT. (guess they could not make it on american highways, and you could not get parts,...so lots of them got swapped to 5speeds).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.