Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed the driving experience with my 4 cyl. 2003 Outback. So much so that I am considering the '05 outback. I may get the LL Bean edition as it only offers the the 2 tone color combo. I love the olive/military green as seen on the subdriven site. However, it only comes in a 6 cyl. , and I worry about fuel inefficiency. My '03 4 cyl. only gets on average 17-18 mpg all year round, and I am hoping it increases to at least to 21. How fuel efficient is the 6 cyl., and how durable is it compared to the 4 cyl?

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,897 Posts
In all honesty from what I've seen both the 2.5L 4-cylinder and the H6-3.0 get just about the same although there is a major price difference that many people can't justify spending on so therefore they go for the 4-cylinder Outbacks. The 2005 will have more power and better MPG and I'd wager the 2.5L and 3.0L will still have similiar MPG. As far as MPG I don't think either one will be that much different from the other, for you I'd think it would come down to what kind of car you want. Do you want the basic version or the premium version? Thats what you need to ask yourself ;)

As far as engine reliability, both are bulletproof although the 2.5L seems to have an inherant problem with head gaskets blowing out on many engines and a few other things. Although the H6-3.0 hasn't been around as long as the 2.5L so far it has an outstanding reliability record and is far more refined than the 2.5L.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts