Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 2.5i Premium with about 1,200 miles on it, and am happy to now be out of the break-in period.

Is there anything wrong with regularly using the paddle shifters for braking so as to limit wear on the brakes? I'm pretty good about not allowing the engine to get over about 4,500 RPMs when doing this, but quite regularly when slowing from a high speed (40 MPH or more) I will use the engine for braking, which results in the RPMS very suddenly going from 1,500 or so up to around 4,000.

Thoughts? Is there anything wrong with doing this regularly over the life of my car? Is there any possibility of causing engine problems or other unnecessary wear and tear?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Downshifting for a big hill is fine. Downshifting all the time is not how the car was designed.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/47271-cvt-paddle-downshift-aid-stop.html

Subaru got back to me via email from my question through the website;

Thanks for your patience as I researched engine braking in your 2013 Outback with CVT. I sent it to two separate Technical representatives. They both replied with similar feedback.

It is only recommended in situations where the engine braking would be needed, such as “when descending a grade." Normally, a driver would have no need to engine brake when just coming to a stop at a light or stop sign. Since the transmission is not designed to handle this, it would accelerate wear on the CVT.

I think that's enough for me to not make a habit of it. Thanks for all the input - good forum!
For a longer read see:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/19593-cvt-transmission-discussion.html

·
Registered
514 Posts
An automatic transmission will most likely fail way before brake pads will wear and need replacing. Not only that, consider the fact that any transmission failure will most likely be at least ten times (minimum) more costly than just replacing brake pads.

If you are really bearing-down on the brakes, you may want to consider racing brakes which have metallic flakes in the composite. However, going that route means you will be wearing out rotors faster than usual.

At the cost of aftermarket rotors at about $29 - $49 apiece (wholesale), they are almost a "throwaway" item!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Brake pads are way cheaper than a transmission rebuild. Use the brakes unless you are experiencing fade due to over use, then use your engine for braking and looking into upgraded pads / rotors.

A BBK will also help with brake fade, but obviously at a pretty big cost premium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
BarmanBean
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing