Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a frustrating day after waiting 72 hrs for a reman caliper from Andrew Page. I took in the old unit & a check on the desk seemed to show they were identical, so £134 later having left the old unit with them, I`m off home to finish in an hour.
2 hours later I finally give up finding it impossible to align the guide pins with the holes in the bracket. I`ve added a pic to show how far out it is – seems much less obvious when you are working on the car. I do note the reman calliper isn`t marked tokico – there are ref no`s on the pic.
I`ve had a search to see if this has been a problem for someone else & found this on a SubaruForester.org:

For anyone else thinking of running WRX brakes on their Forester, note that the 08 FXT front caliper will NOT bolt up to 02 WRX brackets. The bolt spacing is about 1/16" longer. I found this out yesterday the hard way. The caliper bracket will bolt to the hub, but the caliper will not bolt to the bracket.

Maybe I`ve got the wrong calliper – off in tomorrow to show AP the problem. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks, Julian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts
I also always thought soobs used Tokico brake parts.

I see 3 diamonds......?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the original had tokico cast into it - will update when I`ve hopefully solved things.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,549 Posts
If it were me, and those calipers are what you want/need for whatever reason (AND everything else lines up properly), I'd get out a round file and elongate the caliper mounting holes until they fit ( equal amount on both holes).

Other than that, get the correct caliper.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All sorted - seems the caliper was just wrong - parts database might have got me an earlier forester one. Nice & shiny & fits perfectly so that`s another job out of the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts