Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm trying to find a reliable place for a re-manufactured motor for a 1999 outback.
I have done some searching and can't seem to find any places that have a good track record.
I have been saving some time now to get my outback back up on its feet and I finally have the cash in hand, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and have an awesome day.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,306 Posts
I bought one from CCR in 2008 but they closed/changed owners/no longer in business?
They are still around

Subaru Engines | Colorado Independent Suburu Rebuilders

They work out of Aspen Park Auto in Conifer the last time I checked. They got hammered with some fraud BullSh*t and has to shrink down and I think the demand for their rebuilds was affected by the BS. It s*cks, but that happens in business.

I would have an engine built there in heartbeat, no question.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
They are still around

They work out of Aspen Park Auto in Conifer the last time I checked. They got hammered with some fraud BullSh*t and has to shrink down and I think the demand for their rebuilds was affected by the BS. It s*cks, but that happens in business.

My CCR rebuild has over 200K since it was put in.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,306 Posts
My CCR rebuild has over 200K since it was put in.
Yes. I have lived here for almost 20 years and they had a great business and reputation...then all of a sudden the moved or quit. Years later, searches produce all kinds of accusations.

The last time I rand down physical presence was about 9 months ago. CCR was working out of Aspen Auto in Conifer, Co...about an hour west and 2000 ft higher from my place.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
They are still around

still expensive though....:surprise:

their slogan "hooning since 1991" =

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoon

and as AWD/4WD subarus don't do burnouts they just bite and go.....I guess it was pimping and overcharging is what they got pinched for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry but I'm slightly confused does anyone know if they still have the same standards/employees? Also are there any other shops that have current positive feedback? Also It slightly worries me that they got nailed for fraud. Any help would be great and thanks a lot guys.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
I'm sorry but I'm slightly confused does anyone know if they still have the same standards/employees? Also are there any other shops that have current positive feedback? Also It slightly worries me that they got nailed for fraud. Any help would be great and thanks a lot guys.
legacy /impreza 2.2 like I put in a earlier post are not the turds that melt like EJ25D,...if you find the right kind that thread I linked makes it a drop in.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
You could also try Jasper Remanufactured Engines as I believe they now have Subaru Engines. You will have to deal through a local dealer to get a price though.

Nevermind seems they only do the SOHC. MY1999 Outbacks have DOHC

A JDM 2.5L DOHC engine may be an option

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
This may be a dumb question but what would the best place to get a JDM motor from?
any JDM dealer that will give you a Ej25D at the cheapest delivered

(usually to a garage,...as such engines weigh like 300#s ...so most doorsteps are not ideal,...unless you have a forklift or engine picker at your house.)

probably some in the port of LA might be cheaper, ...but the question would be whom is hungriest of the ones selling them.

AND a JDM would still need head gaskets,...just like all EJ25D. (and maybe a main bearing before buttoning it up again). so in paid work that is $2000 on top of the buy of the JDM engine.

which is why dropping in the right EJ22 is a economical option.

@Richard Pare does Vic, the guy in Indiana work with EJ25D?,...I mean the way they melt selling newly rebuilt known good ones could be very finacially satisfiing considering how many land in junk yards free of rust but with a rotten engine in them. (mentioned in the below post). ...the guy in vermont seems to not do anything earlier then 2000 engines.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/446849-2004-repair-thread.html#post5123737

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,792 Posts
\

@Richard Pare does Vic, the guy in Indiana work with EJ25D?,...I mean the way they melt selling newly rebuilt known good ones could be very finacially satisfiing considering how many land in junk yards free of rust but with a rotten engine in them. (mentioned in the below post). ...the guy in vermont seems to not do anything earlier then 2000 engines.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/446849-2004-repair-thread.html#post5123737

Sorry. No idea - I've only talked with him about my '01 motors.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Keep in mind the EJ25D that came in your vehicle is the worst engine subaru ever made - without any possible dispute. It's not terrible exactly - but the headgasket issues of that era are the worst of any EJ25's by a long shot.

Easy and simple solution:
You could have the most reliable and practical engine Subaru ever built - why not go for it when you're ready to spend the big bucks?!:
we have this thread too about dropping the right EJ22 into a Ej25D car:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...248329-ej22-swap-into-ej25d-dohc-vehicle.html
JDM - Another great option. I think it's about the same, I've ordered them before off ebay or direct with no issues.
1. they're not over in japan hand picking different engines. they're finding easy routes for a consistent supply, logistically that's how a company has to run to make money. i highly doubt one has any significantly better sourcing plan than any other for a better end product.
2. as for state side service I dont' think any of us are doing a high enough volume of JDM swaps - I mean really how many JDM swaps is one person doing and following up with long term to see trends - to really know anything substantive.

New
I would ask Subaru if they sell new short blocks. Probably not but worth an ask.

Rebuilds - I would call around Oregon and Seattle and see if anyone is selling short blocks. Then have whatever mechanic is installing the engine put it together with your redone heads.

I would also look and see if you can run a Phase II short block instead or have Phase II pistons installed in the Phase I block so the pistons dont' come so far out of the head like those EJ25's.

Actually - technically speaking your 99 is a Phase II block but they just put Phase I pistons in it for the transition year.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts