Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few weeks my remote locking, engine start, etc. have been non-functional. My service subscriptions seem to be current. I get an error message on my phone, see attached screenshot. And then an emailed error message. Happens 100% of the time, doesn't matter where, when, etc.
Any ideas on a fix?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I think a trip to the dealer is warranted. The Starlink system relies on AT&T cell towers, so unless something happened to AT&T in your area, it's probably the car. To avoid confusion, you do NOT need an AT&T cellular data plan for Starlink to work, you merely need to be in range of a functioning AT&T cell tower.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a trip to the dealer is warranted. The Starlink system relies on AT&T cell towers, so unless something happened to AT&T in your area, it's probably the car. To avoid confusion, you do NOT need an AT&T cellular data plan for Starlink to work, you merely need to be in range of a functioning AT&T cell tower.
Thanks, I'll be at the dealer for an oil change on Tuesday, I'll bring it up with them. MySubaru.com shows the correct current mileage and health info for my car, the "last updated" time is always very current, so it seems to be connecting to send that info at least.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Thanks, I'll be at the dealer for an oil change on Tuesday, I'll bring it up with them. MySubaru.com shows the correct current mileage and health info for my car, the "last updated" time is always very current, so it seems to be connecting to send that info at least.
Yes, the dealer will appreciate that info to rule out just plain connectivity issues.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT 13 Outback 3.6R Limited
230 Posts
For the past few weeks my remote locking, engine start, etc. have been non-functional. My service subscriptions seem to be current. I get an error message on my phone, see attached screenshot. And then an emailed error message. Happens 100% of the time, doesn't matter where, when, etc.
Any ideas on a fix?
View attachment 495198
I've had the same experience a few times. I have to quit the app and restart it. On an iPhone, from the home screen, swipe up from the bottom, scroll to the MySubaru up, and swipe up to total quit the app. If that doesn't solve your problem, I'd delete the app from your phone, and then reinstall it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the same experience a few times. I have to quit the app and restart it. On an iPhone, from the home screen, swipe up from the bottom, scroll to the MySubaru up, and swipe up to total quit the app. If that doesn't solve your problem, I'd delete the app from your phone, and then reinstall it.
Unfortunately, I've gone through those steps already. Same issue if I try to remote lock using the MySubaru.com website on my laptop as well.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,105 Posts
Any ideas on a fix?
View attachment 495198
This happened to us once on our 19, they were able to reset it over the air without even having to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This happened to us once on our 19, they were able to reset it over the air without even having to go to the dealer.
Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday and give that a shot. The number provided in the error message confirmed my subscription was up to date, and the vehicle health was being transmitted. When I called before the IT department they transfered me to was closed, so hopefully I can catch them next time.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
741 Posts
I was not using this service for awhile so I decided to use it every late night to lock the OB doors. I can say that >50% of the time I get the error message. Once I get the message I reissue another request and it completes as it should My app has been reloaded/updated and the problem continues. I have been dumping the email failure messages into a folder for reference if SoA should question the problem. AT&T is better than Tmobile at our location but they do not have the best reputation for reception.

I will be looking for a solution from this post.

P.S.: Looks like a 45 fan

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I don't have a solution but I think the system works this way:

When you send a command from the app, it goes through the internet to the AT&T cell tower and then sends a message to the car asking if it's ready to accept a command. If the car is asleep, it may not respond in time and the app declares failure and never sends the actual command to the car. Now the car is awake and you tell the app to send the command again, it asks the car, the car responds quickly, and then the app sends the actual command and it works.

So I think the solution would have to be on the Subaru/Starlink side, where they give the car more time to wake up and say it's ready, or, it senses the first failure and will automatically re-try one more time before declaring failure.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
741 Posts
I don't have a solution but I think the system works this way:

When you send a command from the app, it goes through the internet to the AT&T cell tower and then sends a message to the car asking if it's ready to accept a command. If the car is asleep, it may not respond in time and the app declares failure and never sends the actual command to the car. Now the car is awake and you tell the app to send the command again, it asks the car, the car responds quickly, and then the app sends the actual command and it works.

So I think the solution would have to be on the Subaru/Starlink side, where they give the car more time to wake up and say it's ready, or, it senses the first failure and will automatically re-try one more time before declaring failure.
Seems to be possible that is the way it works; I would think the Subaru algorithm would be written to accommodate a sleeping vehicle. It always works by the 2nd attempt. Yesterday we returned from drive 3:34pm then the LOCK DOORS worked the 1st time at 10:19pm. On my vehicle, I have the problem or no problem no matter how many days it has been setting; not to say my fob has not reactivated and sent a message or I got into the vehicle for some reason. Well, you have presented a good hypothesis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts