Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, a few months back the loop on the keyless entry remote broke (only had one). So now I have keyless entry that I can't use. I went to the dealership and they told me ONE remote would be about $60 and I want two, one for me one for my girlfriend. Right now, $120 isn't worth it just for keyless entry remotes, so I looked else where and found a Remote start/Alarm with a 2 - way pager for $129 (plus shipping). Anyone head anything about a Magicar FAI-8100?

Is anyone else using a remote starter? What brand do you have, and I am very open to suggestions.

enouen

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
real Subaru remotes are all over Ebay....commonly for abt 1/10 of that. i'd hold out for the real thing, aftermkt stuff just doesn't seem to last as well as orig Sub eqpt.

also, have you considered epoxying the back side of the broken one to another key fob? just be sure to leave access to the screw to take it apart and change battery.

bw

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't have screws, they just snapped together. And I tried ebay... I found one, but it looked like it was in bad condition.

And that sucks about aftermarket stuff... there has to be atleast one good brand... I'm sure subaru doesn't make their own keyless system.

enouen

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will ANY subaru remote work in my 97 OB???

enouen

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i honestly don't know, but i suspect so. they all look similar, and you have to program them for your specific car (does your car still have O manual? you'll need it), so it seems that from a manufacturing cost point of view, they'd all be the same. i bought 2 on this assumption, and 1 just arrived as it type this, so if you can wait til tonight, i can obtain more info on this.

part # on the one i just got is 88035AC230, FCC ID # is A269ZUA111, in case that helps any.

bw

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year is your car?

The remote that I had was one of the little rectangular ones, it felt very cheap. the newer ones look a little more well constructed... So I'd much rather have one of those.

enouen

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
02 OBSport. i have the newer, ergo-design-lookin remote, which the just-received one also is.

and yeah, it does look pretty sturdy. the ring for key attachment goes around the boss for one of the assmebly screws, so it shd even be harder to pull that loose <G> (you guys need to get a 2d OB if you're gonna fight over the keys like that....:D )

given the difference in shape, i'd call the parts person at yr dlr and get their input. subtle bribery in the form of donuts or baked goods does wonders for cooperation...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts