Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching through threads but couldn't find concrete info on this. I'm looking to buy a 2018 Outback 2.5i Premium soon.

If the OEM remote start is installed at the factory, is the receiver antenna hidden inside the car somewhere, or is it mounted to the upper corner of the windshield?

If the OEM remote start is installed at the dealer, is the receiver antenna hidden inside the car somewhere, or is it mounted to the upper corner of the windshield?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited with EyeSight, Nav, Remote Start, Towing Package, Tunsten
17 Posts
All remote starts on Subaru's are added after the car is built. The antenna will be mounted to the upper windshield somewhere. I just looked at a few 2018 3.6R's with remote start installed at the dealer and they had the antenna in the upper left corner of the windshield.

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts
For the long range option: if the vehicle has EyeSight the spec is upper left hand corner of windshield, no EyeSight it goes in the center next to rearview mirror.

For the factory fob only option there is no additional antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
741 Posts
There are two factory remote starts available. The standard that uses the vehicles fob and the antenna is buried in the passenger compartment. The long range remote, separate fob, has an external antenna mounted on the front windshield. With eyesight it sits above the driver in the a-piller corner. W/o eyesight it’s mounted by the rear view mirror. The long range one is also available as an accessory or dealer installed option for ‘18.
No, starlink does not support remote start.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. This car would have a regular key (not keyless) so I guess the long range remote is the only one available to me, right?

Also, I am not getting EyeSight so I suppose top center windshield placement for the antenna isn’t terrible. Anybody have it and hate that placement?

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight, Navigation, High Beam Assist, Reverse Auto Braking, LED Headlights, Steering Responsive Headlights, and Starlink previous 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
44 Posts
On the 2018's, does the starlink app have the ability to remote start?
No, It does not.
I just had a remote started installed at the dealer and the antenna is installed in the left top corner of the windshield.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
741 Posts
As you are new to this, one “feature” you may not like about the factory or dealer installed remote is that it will shut the car off when you open the drivers door. Essentially you’ll have to use the key and restart the car.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight, Navigation, High Beam Assist, Reverse Auto Braking, LED Headlights, Steering Responsive Headlights, and Starlink previous 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
44 Posts
As you are new to this, one “feature” you may not like about the factory or dealer installed remote is that it will shut the car off when you open the drivers door. Essentially you’ll have to use the key and restart the car.
It's not just driver's door. It's any door. If you open the tailgate the engine shuts off, too.

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts
Thanks for the replies. This car would have a regular key (not keyless) so I guess the long range remote is the only one available to me, right?
I believe so but check with your dealer to be sure, things can change from year to year. Since the non-keyless cars have the remote integrated into the key, carrying the additional long range fob wouldn't seem out of place or too bulky I would think.

Also, I am not getting EyeSight so I suppose top center windshield placement for the antenna isn’t terrible. Anybody have it and hate that placement?
That's actually where my installer mounted the antenna and it is nice because it is out of the way. The antenna is adhered to the black dotted area and completely unnoticeable from inside/out. I think some forum members have mentioned the antenna in upper left hand corner is unsightly but it doesn't affect vision and you get used to it eventually.

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts
On the 2018's, does the starlink app have the ability to remote start?
It does not but according to my dealer Subaru is working on it for 2019. Not sure if that means it is backwards compatible or can be retrofitted to our cars. The Ascent will have this capability when it hits showrooms.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited with EyeSight, Nav, Remote Start, Towing Package, Tunsten
17 Posts
When I purchased my 2017 Outback, the FOB with remote start was not an option. The long range 2 way remote was the only option. I don't think they offer the FOB with remote start anymore for the Outback. The 2 way long range works great!

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
2,003 Posts
When you get your car, open the drivers door and look at the weather stripping up the "A" pillar and into the corner of the ceiling headliner. If you see any 'lumps' gently pull on the black weather strip and see if you can easily view the wires. If you can, there's trouble....

If you look at the installation datasheet, they are supposed to remove the "A" pillar cover and tuck the wires BEHIND the curtain airbag. Many installers take the shortcut of skipping that step and simply stuff in under the rubber. That means you have an obstruction in front of the airbag that could potentially slow it's deployment.

I pointed out my lumpy rubber to my Service Manager. He invited me into the shop and let me watch as he pulled off the cover in front of his techs revealing an entanglement that might have fouled the airbag if it was ever needed. Apparently it wasn't the first time he'd had to hold this 'class' for his team.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
741 Posts
When I purchased my 2017 Outback, the FOB with remote start was not an option. The long range 2 way remote was the only option. I don't think they offer the FOB with remote start anymore for the Outback. The 2 way long range works great!
Still offered for 2018. Ours came from the factory with both. The long range fobs have been buried in a draw as the standard works fine for our needs so we just lay need the single fob. I thought about removing the long range parts to sell as a kit but there appears to be coding. And when I looked at the harness when it’s factory installed it appears to be bundled with the main cabin wiring. I may look at it again in the spring.

·
Registered
2017 Legacy Limited 3.6R
17 Posts
It does not but according to my dealer Subaru is working on it for 2019. Not sure if that means it is backwards compatible or can be retrofitted to our cars. The Ascent will have this capability when it hits showrooms.
Yea, the press release for the 2019 Ascent says that Starlink will feature remote start. I contacted Subaru about my 2017 push-button eventually having this as an available upgrade or purchased feature and they said there were no plans to make it for previous years at this time. Brian

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,861 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be that hard to make it work with older models if they wanted to do it. I'm guessing they would rather use it as incentive to trade up to the latest model. That alone wouldn't get me thinking about a new Outback, but if the new model kept the engine from shutting off when you open a door after using remote start I might start dreaming...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Shutting off an unoccupied idling car when a door is opened is pretty much a standard 'anti-theft feature' of any OEM remote start system unless a smart key is involved. And even with smart key, our 2015 Toyota Sienna Limited still shuts down. You might find an aftermarket system that allows you to turn that off.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
741 Posts
Shutting off an unoccupied idling car when a door is opened is pretty much a standard 'anti-theft feature' of any OEM remote start system unless a smart key is involved. And even with smart key, our 2015 Toyota Sienna Limited still shuts down. You might find an aftermarket system that allows you to turn that off.
I know ford doesn’t. I think chrysler doesn’t also. Maybe it’s a Japanese thing if toyoyo and subies do it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I know ford doesn’t. I think chrysler doesn’t also. Maybe it’s a Japanese thing if toyoyo and subies do it.
Perhaps! I'll admit to not hanging out with too many domestic car owners!

Edit: I did some reading to check. I found on a Ford site that the default setting is also to shut down upon opening a door. But there is a dealer software option to change this to stay running.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.