Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I?ve noticed when I use the remote start and then get into the car and start it (car turns off when open door) and then plug in my iPhone, Apple car play is grayed out. I even get out of the car turn it off and get back in and still won?t work. It seems to work after I?ve stopped and come back to the car after a while. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
I have lost Apple CarPlay twice like that. At the same time though I did also upgrade the phone’s OS so I figured it had something to do with the OS upgrade and Apple and the car needing to renegotiate something.

I have not had it happen in a while though.

I do find that if I plug the phone in first and start the car CarPlay usually does not work - sometime it surprises me and works.

If I start the car first and then plug the phone in it works every time.

Edit:

Yes I have remote start installed if that was not clear. Subaru remote start too. Push button start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I?ve noticed when I use the remote start and then get into the car and start it (car turns off when open door) and then plug in my iPhone, Apple car play is grayed out. I even get out of the car turn it off and get back in and still won?t work. It seems to work after I?ve stopped and come back to the car after a while. Anyone else notice this?
Yes, that happens every time! Very aggravating. One time I lost radio as well and had a silent drive to work.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
591 Posts
Haven't experienced that and I've been using remote start for a while. I open the door, restart the car, plug in my phone. By the time I have it in gear and leaving, carplay is loaded.
However on one occasion, and totally unrelated to remote start. I have had carplay fail to start when I plugged in my phone while stopped at a light. It went into charge mode when I plugged in the cable, but no carplay started. I did a reset of the radio, press and hold the volume button till the starlink logo appears, and it worked fine after that.
If you recently did the iOS 13 update try resetting carplay. Before plugging your phone in, on your phone go into Setting|General|Carplay select your car and say "Forget this car". Then plug your phone in and answer the prompts to allow carplay, etc... and see if that resolves it. I've done that a few times on other cars to get carplay working after an iOS update. May have even done it on my outback, but don't remember.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven't experienced that and I've been using remote start for a while. I open the door, restart the car, plug in my phone. By the time I have it in gear and leaving, carplay is loaded.
However on one occasion, and totally unrelated to remote start. I have had carplay fail to start when I plugged in my phone while stopped at a light. It went into charge mode when I plugged in the cable, but no carplay started. I did a reset of the radio, press and hold the volume button till the starlink logo appears, and it worked fine after that.
If you recently did the iOS 13 update try resetting carplay. Before plugging your phone in, on your phone go into Setting|General|Carplay select your car and say "Forget this car". Then plug your phone in and answer the prompts to allow carplay, etc... and see if that resolves it. I've done that a few times on other cars to get carplay working after an iOS update. May have even done it on my outback, but don't remember.
I looked on a few other boards with my problem and they recommended updating my iPhone to the latest iOS. This does seem to have fixed the problem, for now. Apple CarPlay is quite glitchy, though. I've also had trouble with my automatic window on the passenger's side. I guess the more electronics you have, the more potential for problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts