Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I my mom picked up a 2013 legacy (I know this is an ob forum) but just like the ob, when you remote start the car and open the door , the car cuts off. Any work around to this?

·
Registered
750 Posts
It seems to me it is designed that way to prevent easy theft of the car. Cars left running are prone to disappear, so the feature makes sense.

·
Registered
648 Posts
But u can't drive the car unless the key is in the car...so I still don't know how this works,but to anwesome ur question,I don't think so, there was a thread on this,and they all had no way to bypass this,unless you went aftermarket what I remember anyways

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased the remote start when I bought my 2013 outback. I am so disappointed that the engine shuts off when you open a door. Does anyone know if it is bad for the engine if it is turned off then back on within a short period of time? Also, we need to figure out a way to bypass this.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
It's not bad to restart the engine shortly after shutdown. If it were, they wouldn't offer a remote start at all.

Restarting the engine with the key after a door-triggered shutdown provides for a few things- idiot light tests, so you can tell if the warning lights are working. Also the key has to be in and turned to unlock the steering & shifter anyway.

If you do bypass the door triggered shutdown, you will need to work out a way to protect the car from you (or another driver) accidentally turning the key all the way to 'start' when you get in- otherwise you will wear out the starter and/or flywheel prematurely.

I could see Subaru creating a "single start from remote" feature in a future car- to cut costs it would make sense for them to integrate that with the stop-start feature that will eventually be required for emissions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
rasterman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing