Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Ascent with push button start and Starlink has this new feature, eliminating the need to purchase the $441 remote start option (Starlink subscription and smartphone required).

Quoting Carl A. from the Ascent forum:
“The maximum range using the cell phone app is about 12,451 miles, since that's half the circumference of the earth. Two other things. The car will NOT shut off when you open the door, which is a big change over what we have now. But you DO have to put your foot on the brake and actually push the button with the key fob in the car before putting it in gear - anything else will turn the engine off.”

This is how most brands have done it for years. Having the engine shut off when the door is opened is really annoying and the main reason I didn’t order the remote option.
For all the Outbacks out there with push button start and Starlink, is there hope that Subaru will update the Starlink app to include remote start? Would be worth the subscription then, IMHO.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
497 Posts
As buggy as the infotainment system has been on the 2018...I doubt it. Also FYI, looks like the 2019 Forester will have remote start via the mobile app as an option as well.
As for the Outback if you didn't have remote start installed when you bought it, you'd have to have it installed. And who's to say the old remote start module, brain is the same as the new ones (If indeed they're new) that allow remote start via the app.
Remote start via a mobile phone has been offered by vehicle manufacturers for years. This is just another example of how Subaru is late to the game.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,425 Posts
From what I've been hearing, it will be available on the Outback redesign. In 2020

·
Registered
2016 Outback
92 Posts
@Carl Abrams - Carl, I’m planning to order a 2020 Limited or Touring...are you able to confirm whether or not the ~$450 Remote Start fob is required to utilize Remote Start via Starlink? Was never thrilled with the implementation in my 2016 OB, and hoping for better implementation via Starlink, as well as prefer to not pay for fob functionality I won’t use.

Thank you for any insights you have!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
@Mom2N3 No fob needed. Cell phone and Starlink subscription required. Cost for Starlink with our 2019 Forester at purchase was about $380 for seven years. Less than the cost of add on remote start.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
142 Posts
@Mom2N3 No fob needed. Cell phone and Starlink subscription required. Cost for Starlink with our 2019 Forester at purchase was about $380 for seven years. Less than the cost of add on remote start.
I was under the impression that you had to have factory remote start installed on your car in order for Starlink to be able to start it remotely. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
18 OB 2.5i Ltd w/ES Crystal Blk/Ivory
595 Posts
I was under the impression that you had to have factory remote start installed on your car in order for Starlink to be able to start it remotely. Am I wrong?
You are.

Reactions: Carl Abrams

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
@Carl Abrams - Carl, I’m planning to order a 2020 Limited or Touring...are you able to confirm whether or not the ~$450 Remote Start fob is required to utilize Remote Start via Starlink? Was never thrilled with the implementation in my 2016 OB, and hoping for better implementation via Starlink, as well as prefer to not pay for fob functionality I won’t use.

Thank you for any insights you have!
You do NOT need to have the remote start installed on the car to use Starlink. You DO need to pay at least $74.95 for 3 years, $374.95 for 7 years, for the Security Plus aspect of Starlink Safety & Security Plus (technically it's not that much, but you can't get Security without Safety, and 7 years of Safety is $199.95, so while you're only paying $185 for Security, it's a bundle).

On my wife's 2015 Forester, I had installed remote start, and other than using the separate fob, it worked fine. It didn't bother her too much to have to restart the car when she got in. On her 2019 Forester, she'll start her car now, then simply go out, get in, and until she puts her foot on the brake and taps the start button, the transmission lever remains locked. No shutting off of the car now. The Outback will be similar to the Ascent as well in that you'll also be able to control the heated seats, since it has electronic buttons for those, unlike the Forester or Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,285 Posts
I would still want to have the remote start fob personally, although the Starlink option would be nice at times. For me the fob is just so much more convenient and quicker than my phone. I've heard that the engine no longer shuts off when you open a door on the next generation but I'm not sure if that has been confirmed or not. If it still does that I will avoid the factory remote start completely and go with one that makes sense.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hmm, my Starlink app doesn't seem to have a selection for Remote Start from the Remote Services Menu. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2016 Outback
92 Posts
You do NOT need to have the remote start installed on the car to use Starlink. You DO need to pay at least $74.95 for 3 years, $374.95 for 7 years, for the Security Plus aspect of Starlink Safety & Security Plus (technically it's not that much, but you can't get Security without Safety, and 7 years of Safety is $199.95, so while you're only paying $185 for Security, it's a bundle).

On my wife's 2015 Forester, I had installed remote start, and other than using the separate fob, it worked fine. It didn't bother her too much to have to restart the car when she got in. On her 2019 Forester, she'll start her car now, then simply go out, get in, and until she puts her foot on the brake and taps the start button, the transmission lever remains locked. No shutting off of the car now. The Outback will be similar to the Ascent as well in that you'll also be able to control the heated seats, since it has electronic buttons for those, unlike the Forester or Crosstrek.
Thanks as always for the detailed insights! Looking forward to the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
Reactions: freckles1219

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
Hmm, my Starlink app doesn't seem to have a selection for Remote Start from the Remote Services Menu. Any suggestions?
Get a 2020 Outback. The 2019 Outback doesn't have remote start via Starlink.

As the cars moved to the new global platform and had body changes, that's when it became available. Thus, the 2018 Limited Impreza and Crosstrek (which is when it first became available), the 2019 Forester and Ascent, and last, the 2020 Legacy and Outback.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not going to help - not available for 2019 Outbacks.
I totally forgot Outback didn't go to global platform until the MY20. I have the option on the Impreza and mistakenly assumed MY19 OB did too. Apologies to freckles for the giving false information.

·
Registered
142 Posts

As the cars moved to the new global platform and had body changes, that's when it became available. Thus, the 2018 Limited Impreza and Crosstrek (which is when it first became available), the 2019 Forester and Ascent, and last, the 2020 Legacy and Outback.

Thanks for the info Carl.

I totally forgot Outback didn't go to global platform until the MY20. I have the option on the Impreza and mistakenly assumed MY19 OB did too. Apologies to freckles for the giving false information.
No problem. It was an easy assumption to make.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts