Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like we will be going with the special appearance package on our order. It comes with keyless entry and ignition. If you get the remote starting option, is the start button integrated with the keyless RF fob, or would you need to carry both the regular RF fob and the remote start fob?

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
It's all integrated with the SAP fob.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,840 Posts
I thought I read someplace that remote start was not available on the SAP. Are you implying that the SAP adds remote start as part of the package?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
When we were looking at 2012s, I didn't want remote start because of the extra fob on the keyring. If they are integrated, that would be great.
You are better off with the extra fob. The way Subaru does remote start on the SAP is to trigger it off the existing door lock receiver which already works with the remotes. This comes at a price. You no longer have 2 way feedback and your range is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I thought I read someplace that remote start was not available on the SAP. Are you implying that the SAP adds remote start as part of the package?
The remote start is available with SAP not part of it. There are two versions of remote start, one for SAP and another for other trim levels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'm not following the responses. Latigo says it's all one integrated unit. mpnret says you are better off with two fobs. So I am confused, are there two ways to order it, (one integrated fob, or two fobs)?

Back to basics on my loosely worded question.... with a limited with SAP, if you have remote start, is there ONE fob with the four following buttons:

-doors unlock
-doors lock
-panic
AND
-engine start

Is there a link to pic of whatever it ends up to be? Thanks you for your help!

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
That's my understanding, yes. My dealer had a white 3.6 SAP and, as we were on our way to the 6MT 2.5, she held up the wireless fob to the SAP saying it was great because you no longer had to fumble for keys in your pocket or anything like that (because, you know, nobody's ever heard of keyless remote proximity before). She finished by saying it was especially nice to have on cold winter mornings because it started the car as well.
So I guess I should've been more careful because I based my statement on a car sales lady haha.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
11 Posts
Here are the Subaru replacement key fobs and it don't show a remote start on the SAP key fob

KEY FOBS

Why don't you just pick up the phone and call SOA and ask them? Customer Service: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

GTA

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I guess I'm not following the responses. Latigo says it's all one integrated unit. mpnret says you are better off with two fobs. So I am confused, are there two ways to order it, (one integrated fob, or two fobs)?

Back to basics on my loosely worded question.... with a limited with SAP, if you have remote start, is there ONE fob with the four following buttons:

-doors unlock
-doors lock
-panic
AND
-engine start

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that there are 2 factory remote start options with the SAP. The only factory option is the one integrated with the key fob. There won't be a separate rs button on the fob. You remote start the car by pushing an existing button multiple times. This is the way most of the manufactures do it. What I was trying to point out is that the integrated RS on the SAP has nowhere near the range of the non-sap RS or the many aftermarket ones available. If I was ordering a SAP I think I would order it without a RS and add an aftermarket one later unless you are sure you are ok with the reduced range and lack of 2 way feedback.
If you search through dealer inventory you will find some SAP models with the Remote Start for the smart key system.

Here is one here: http://www.paulmillersubaru.com/new/Subaru/2013-Subaru-Outback-dd84d4420a0a0065006f29c88e99b630.htm (you need to click on the options tab)

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2019 Ascent Touring .... SOLD : 2015 Outback 3.6 w/ES. 18 Crosstrek, 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia. SOLD-13 Outback 2.5 SAP. Traded-10 2.5i Legacy Limited.
239 Posts

-doors unlock
-doors lock
-panic
AND
-engine start

The remote start on the SAP works by pushing the lock button twice within 2 sec then a third holding it for 3 sec. Works fine for me, I really only use the remote in the winter to get the ice off the car in the morning so have no use for remotes that work 3 football fields away. On non SAP remote starters you get the second fob and a longer distance, on my 2010 Legacy remote the two way communication stopped working after a few months anyway.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The remote start on the SAP works by pushing the lock button twice within 2 sec then a third holding it for 3 sec. Works fine for me, I really only use the remote in the winter to get the ice off the car in the morning so have no use for remotes that work 3 football fields away. On non SAP remote starters you get the second fob and a longer distance, on my 2010 Legacy remote the two way communication stopped working after a few months anyway.
I have the same type remote start in my Nissan keyless start. As you said it works great for getting ice off in the morning, etc. I do find it a little disappointing sometimes like when it's really cold out and you want to start the car from inside a restaurant. The building walls really cut down the range plus you have the timing issue of 3 button pushes, you can't see your car and to top it off there's no 2 way feedback so you can't even tell if your car started. My 2010 OB factory RS really shines there with good range and 2 way feedback. Nothing wrong with the SAP RS as long as you realize its limitations.
I was just trying to point out that some people where thinking how great it was that the SAP RS didn't require a second fob without realizing the limitations that causes. If I was getting a SAP I would go for a good aftermarket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok... Ok... it's getting clearer. What is the two way feedback I'm losing? The whole appeal of keyless is so my wife can just leave a key in her purse and fuggettaboutit. Just touch and go. I would only use the remote start to get the car going a few seconds before I got in to cool it a bit, like walking to it in a parking lot. Other than that, it's garaged in a 50 degree garage in the winter.

Feedback description, anyone?

Someone made the comment, "call Subaru". Sorry, that didn't cross my mind. I have been looking at an upscale brand-x vehicle, and calling their customer service was totally useless. Totally!!!

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,840 Posts
The feedback on the other factory system involves the button blinking to indicate the vehicle started. Your use for it may not be effective, the factory systems shut the vehicle off when any door is opened.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Limited Sedan
18 Posts
Your use for it may not be effective, the factory systems shut the vehicle off when any door is opened.
That is my one gripe with my RS on my Impreza. It would be nice if the vehicle stayed running when a door is opened. I much prefer our GM remote start where the vehicle keeps running when you open a door. You simply insert the key into the ignition, rotate it to the ON position and go.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The feedback on the other factory system involves the button blinking to indicate the vehicle started. Your use for it may not be effective, the factory systems shut the vehicle off when any door is opened.
The shutting off thing works ok for me but if its really an issue for anyone threre is another thread with a couple of workarounds complete with pics.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Ok... Ok... it's getting clearer. What is the two way feedback I'm losing? The whole appeal of keyless is so my wife can just leave a key in her purse and fuggettaboutit. Just touch and go. I would only use the remote start to get the car going a few seconds before I got in to cool it a bit, like walking to it in a parking lot. Other than that, it's garaged in a 50 degree garage in the winter.

Feedback description, anyone?

Someone made the comment, "call Subaru". Sorry, that didn't cross my mind. I have been looking at an upscale brand-x vehicle, and calling their customer service was totally useless. Totally!!!
I thought that was a funny post. Calling Subaru would be a waste of time with a question like this.
Anyway, it appears you are ordering a SAP and trying to determine if you want to get factory RS. My thoughts on it are: I have had RS on my cars for many years now, both factory and aftermarket. Generally I am a big fan of factory RS vs. aftermarket. I currently have factory RS on my 2010 Legacy and 2010 Outback and a system similar to the SAP system on my Nissan which has a similar smart key starting system. Factory RS systems are great. They are acquired easily (just put it on the order forum), relatively inexpensive when ordered with the car, and are part of the factory warranty. The non-sap Subaru RS has great range and 2 way feedback. The 2 way feedback lets you know your car has actually started with a blinking light on the remote when you don't have a visual on it. Nothing worse than to think the ice has been melting off your car but find out it never started when you come out. The biggest complaint so far about the Subaru non-sap RS is that the engine shuts off when the door is opened. That's not an issue for me but even if it was there are a couple of workarounds on the forum. I am not sure if the Subaru SAP RS shuts off when a door is opened or not. Anyone with one care to chime in?
The only reason that I jumped into this discussion is that some new posters on the forum thought the SAP RS was an improvement to the current system being that it was all on one fob. I guess it is in that sense but it comes with some big drawbacks. The first one being the range. It is limited to the range of your remote door locks. I think the owner's manual says something like 30 feet but in reality its better than that. Walls and obstacles like cars parked next to you limit this further. The next drawback is the 3 button pushes with holding on the last one. If your timing is slightly off it doesn't start. These 2 drawbacks make 2 way feedback more critical which you don't have. This is an inexpensive system that hooks into your door locks rather than have its own receiver like other systems.
When we got this system for our Nissan the thought process was its always parked outside next to the house. The main purpose is for warming the car and removing ice. Don't need much range and we can hear it start. It serves this purpose well. However there are times when it disappoints, like when you’re inside a restaurant, shopping mall, store etc and you would like to start the car. At times like this I wish we went aftermarket.
Don't get me wrong the SAP RS is most likely a great system. Just understand its limitations before you order rather than be surprised by them later. If I were ordering a SAP I would most likely go aftermarket with something like a Viper 4203V. It's a small simple system just designed to RS your car without a lot of other alarm type features some of the higher end units have but does have the high end 2000 foot range with 2 way feedback. It has an ultra miniature 1 button remote designed to attach to your smart key ring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts