Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to figure out if there is truly remote start on my car. I can most certainly start my car via StatLink Remote, I have also found in the owners manual on page 333 where it shows you can start the car with the FOB. I have gone through the process and all works as indicated except for the car does not actually start. Does anyone have any insight into remote start?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
So I am trying to figure out if there is truly remote start on my car. I can most certainly start my car via StatLink Remote, I have also found in the owners manual on page 333 where it shows you can start the car with the FOB. I have gone through the process and all works as indicated except for the car does not actually start. Does anyone have any insight into remote start?

View attachment 471874
The remote start needs to be installed in your car (that is an available accessory). It's not there by default on any trim.

The newer remote start system is the one with the long range remote, and I believe that the short range remote start does method not work with those systems.... the only one I have ever had that used that method was the old smart start system in the 2015-2016 cars before subaru changed to the long range remote. Subaru never updated the owner's manual (this stuff has been in there since 2015).

Interesting to note - the new system for the 2020, when installed, doesn't have the window mounted antenna anymore. There is just one big module that is installed behind the glovebox. Makes installation a bit easier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The remote start needs to be installed in your car (that is an available accessory). It's not there by default on any trim.

The newer remote start system is the one with the long range remote, and I believe that the short range remote start does method not work with those systems.... the only one I have ever had that used that method was the old smart start system in the 2015-2016 cars before subaru changed to the long range remote. Subaru never updated the owner's manual (this stuff has been in there since 2015).

Interesting to note - the new system for the 2020, when installed, doesn't have the window mounted antenna anymore. There is just one big module that is installed behind the glovebox. Makes installation a bit easier.
Is this something I can purchase and install myself? I love to DIY.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Is this something I can purchase and install myself? I love to DIY.
up until the part where you need to register the remote module with the Body Integrated Unit so that it will work... requires the dealer to use the subaru select monitor to register it. It's $327 or so for the kit.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Googled the answer, not sure whether to just stick with the StarLink or purchase this accessory. Thoughts....
I am going forth and back on this question as well. How much would a 10 year Starlink subscription be, vs the $400-500 remote start?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Googled the answer, not sure whether to just stick with the StarLink or purchase this accessory. Thoughts....
While I would love to have the Starlink option for remote start on mine it would never replace having the fob. For me it would be a big hassle to have to use my phone to start the car in the morning before I go to work. But that's mostly because I rarely even have my phone turned on until I get to work anyway, and sometimes I don't even take it with me. But for someone who always has their phone in their hand (seems like just about everybody these days) it might be good on its own. Also in my case it would be hit or miss whether my phone would have a good enough signal for it to work anyway.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Looks like ordering the standalone remote engine start will cost about $370 (invoice, hopefully doable at that price).
A Starlink 7-year subscription runs $350 (if bought at purchase date), according to a post by Carl on the Ascent forum.
So almost cut-even after 7 years.
An annual subscription right now can be bought for $75 (with coupon). So for 10 years, Starlink would be $375 + 3 x $75 = $600.

Starlink does have some other advantages, like the vehicle locator, crash emergency call, etc. Wondering if there is a 10 year deal? @Carl Abrams?

Still, I am going forth and back on this one ....

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think I have seen a full price sheet (when subscribing at delivery) somewhere online, but can't find it anymore.
Carl, can you help?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Starlink does have some other advantages, like the vehicle locator, crash emergency call, etc. Wondering if there is a 10 year deal? @Carl Abrams?

Still, I am going forth and back on this one ....
No 10 year at time of purchase deal.

Keep in mind that the breakdown for the price at 7 years is $199.95 for Subaru Safety Plus, the Security Plus is actually only $174.95, it's just you can't Security without Safety. Which Safety is where the car calls for help when you're in an accident.

What I'd do is wait and see a few years - we haven't had these levels of Safety and Security long enough to know what Subaru will do after someone has had their car with it for 5 or 6 years. So I wouldn't even begin to speculate about renewal at that point. You just HAVE to sign up within 6 months of delivery to get this pricing, though. (Keep in mind that I leased my Forester, so I paid all of $75 for 3 years. It's definitely worth it - especially the vehicle locator.)

·
Registered
428 Posts
A main reason I dumped my 2018 Outback for a 2019 Ascent, and now going to get a 2020 Outback was the app based remote start. Which after car shopping and reading reviews of other auto makers app based remote services on the app stores. I get the feeling most consumers think an app based remote start will be just as fast as a key fob based one which it is not, therefore many poor ratings.
How are you going to use your remote start, will a key fob based remote start provide you the range needed, etc? For me a key fob based remote start is useless. At work I'm way, way too far away from my vehicle for a key fob to reach. And I have literally a 10 or so minute walk to my car. So the cellular smartphone based remote start is perfect for me as I can take the minute or so the app takes to start my car. And I only remote start in extreme temperatures, dead of winter, hot summer, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I read through a few of the Gen 5 remote start installation threads.
Here is an idea: if you get (order) your car at invoice (and that will hopefully be possible in a few months), then why not order the part (without installation) with it? The parts invoice is $277. At the time of ordering, negotiate that 1 minute programming into the deal. One would think that a dealer would be willing to do that when you order a new vehicle.
Then, install the remote start yourself (apparently it's fairly easy), and have it programmed at your dealer, hopefully for free.

If that works, you got yourself a remote start for $277 (plus an hour or two of installation).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been trying to get used to doing it from the phone. If you're doing it from the key you're almost at the vehicle anyway and it will be unlikely cooled down or heated up by the time you arrive. You can long press the mySubaru app on android for to more quickly perform a remote start.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What service do I need to subscribe to remote start from my phone? Any accessories needed, or just a service from Subaru?

With the app can you adjust the fan mode (to point it at the windshield) and turn on the windshield and mirror defroster?

It would be nice to have the windshield heated and working on melting a layer of ice and snow during the winter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No 10 year at time of purchase deal.

Keep in mind that the breakdown for the price at 7 years is $199.95 for Subaru Safety Plus, the Security Plus is actually only $174.95, it's just you can't Security without Safety. Which Safety is where the car calls for help when you're in an accident.

What I'd do is wait and see a few years - we haven't had these levels of Safety and Security long enough to know what Subaru will do after someone has had their car with it for 5 or 6 years. So I wouldn't even begin to speculate about renewal at that point. You just HAVE to sign up within 6 months of delivery to get this pricing, though. (Keep in mind that I leased my Forester, so I paid all of $75 for 3 years. It's definitely worth it - especially the vehicle locator.)
Is there a place where I can see what the different pricing is for when purchasing a vehicle? I have only found monthly pricing on Subaru's site.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A main reason I dumped my 2018 Outback for a 2019 Ascent, and now going to get a 2020 Outback was the app based remote start. Which after car shopping and reading reviews of other auto makers app based remote services on the app stores. I get the feeling most consumers think an app based remote start will be just as fast as a key fob based one which it is not, therefore many poor ratings.
How are you going to use your remote start, will a key fob based remote start provide you the range needed, etc? For me a key fob based remote start is useless. At work I'm way, way too far away from my vehicle for a key fob to reach. And I have literally a 10 or so minute walk to my car. So the cellular smartphone based remote start is perfect for me as I can take the minute or so the app takes to start my car. And I only remote start in extreme temperatures, dead of winter, hot summer, that kind of thing.
This is exactly how I feel. The app is far, far more practical for me, plus it has more features like the vehicle locator. When they offered the fob-based option I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how it’d be any use beyond the app.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What service do I need to subscribe to remote start from my phone? Any accessories needed, or just a service from Subaru?

With the app can you adjust the fan mode (to point it at the windshield) and turn on the windshield and mirror defroster?

It would be nice to have the windshield heated and working on melting a layer of ice and snow during the winter.
You can adjust the temperature inside the car (both sides), the heat level on the seats (both sides), and setup the defroster. Really nice!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts