Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2018 3.6 R Outback that the best I can tell has remote start. However, I have attempted all the lock, lock, hold down 3 seconds, wait for the beeps then it starts functions to no avail. Am I missing something. My manual shows that I should have the remote feature. My question, is there another place to turn this function on? I have the fob with the 4 buttons on it (lock, unlock Subaru logo, gate and horn).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Taylors Cheese

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
55 Posts
How can you tell it has a remote start? Is there a small grey box (antenna) mounted on the windshield?

Another way to check is look under the dash to the left of the brake pedal, there should be a square black box attached to a silver bracket behind the vertical strip of relays.

If you don't have these, then by the sounds of it you won't have a remote starter.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
2,160 Posts
According to the instructions, you'll want to:
  1. Press the lock button briefly.
  2. Within 2 seconds press the lock button again.
  3. After step 2 immediately press and hold the lock button (horn will honk)
  4. Approximately 3 seconds after step 3, release the lock button. The engine should start.
Engine will not start if the MIL light is on

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Greetings,

I have a 2018 3.6 R Outback that the best I can tell has remote start. However, I have attempted all the lock, lock, hold down 3 seconds, wait for the beeps then it starts functions to no avail. Am I missing something. My manual shows that I should have the remote feature. My question, is there another place to turn this function on? I have the fob with the 4 buttons on it (lock, unlock Subaru logo, gate and horn).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Taylors Cheese
you are missing having the remote start accessory installed.

the manual is confusing - that section says "dealer option" which should really be rewritten to indicate you need the accessory installed. Or just not include it in the owner's manual and have a separate manual for operation.

you'll definitely see the antenna on the window when it's been installed.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,352 Posts
you'll definitely see the antenna on the window when it's been installed.

I also had the impression that the antenna was just for the long-range option. I don't have the push-button start but I always thought that the regular fob would work for remote start but had a very limited range and nothing else needed to be installed if you had the push button start. Since I have a keyed ignition I never really paid much attention when it was discussed here. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
I also had the impression that the antenna was just for the long-range option. I don't have the push-button start but I always thought that the regular fob would work for remote start but had a very limited range and nothing else needed to be installed if you had the push button start. Since I have a keyed ignition I never really paid much attention when it was discussed here. Learn something new every day.
The long range remote version was installed in 2017 and onward, it replaced the older version of that accessory. It also comes with separate fobs. The older non long range version of that accessory never came with fobs if you had the push button ignition... the keyed ignitions came with the separate remotes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The long range remote version was installed in 2017 and onward, it replaced the older version of that accessory. It also comes with separate fobs. The older non long range version of that accessory never came with fobs if you had the push button ignition... the keyed ignitions came with the separate remotes.
So even with the antenna the older system never had much range then. That does sound familiar to what I was told when I got my 2017. I've never been all that impressed with the range of mine even with the long range and the separate fobs. It seems to start the car about half to two-thirds of the time on the first try even when I am in line-of-sight with the car. The signal gets there because the horn beeps and the lights come on. It often takes a second try to start the car.

It gets the job done I guess and I don't use it much since I lose a couple of mile per gallon on my relatively short commute when I do idle the car for a few minutes. Since I had the block heater installed I use that far more often than the remote start.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
So even with the antenna the older system never had much range then. That does sound familiar to what I was told when I got my 2017. I've never been all that impressed with the range of mine even with the long range and the separate fobs. It seems to start the car about half to two-thirds of the time on the first try even when I am in line-of-sight with the car. The signal gets there because the horn beeps and the lights come on. It often takes a second try to start the car.

It gets the job done I guess and I don't use it much since I lose a couple of mile per gallon on my relatively short commute when I do idle the car for a few minutes. Since I had the block heater installed I use that far more often than the remote start.
The old system didn’t have the antenna with the push button ignition. Not sure if the keyed ignition version had it (my 2015 was push button). The range was whatever the fob remote range was to lock/unlock the car.

The two way long range remote usually works for me... sometimes it doesn’t blink to let you know the car is running.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The old system didn’t have the antenna with the push button ignition. Not sure if the keyed ignition version had it (my 2015 was push button). The range was whatever the fob remote range was to lock/unlock the car.

The two way long range remote usually works for me... sometimes it doesn’t blink to let you know the car is running.
When mine doesn't start I get the three beeps on the remote. And if I can see the car I can tell if it is running by the fog lights. If it doesn't start the headlights are on but the fogs are off, but if it started then the fog lights are on as well. (Fog light switch is always on in mine because I hate the steering responsive fog lights so much)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts