Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Subaru Outback I purchased in October 2012 with a dealer installed remote starter. Last year, a few times, I would start the car, open the doors and notice that the blue flashing light was still on, on the starter, indicating that it was still connected to the system. I had the car in to the dealer this fall and they looked at the system and ran a diagnostic, but couldn't replicate the problem. This winter it's been doing it more frequently and now does it almost every morning. It doesn't seem to do it at night though, when I'm leaving work. Basically, I remote start my car, go out and open the door - at which point the engine shuts off. I get in, shut the door and start the car with the key. The blue light on the remote fob continues to blink (or starts again, not sure which). In order to make this stop I have to turn off the engine, take the key out of the ignition, remote start the car again, then open the door so the engine cuts off. Any ideas? I don't know much about this kind of thing (my last car was a 20 yo volvo 240, no bells, no whistles) and am concerned that if I continue to drive the car while the remote is engaged that it will shut off the engine after 15 minutes, per usual, but while I'm driving. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I don't think that's the problem, since I'm the one pressing the fob and starting the car - it's not starting accidentally and it shuts off after 15 minutes without restarting. The problem is that the fob seems to still be active after the door is open, the engine shuts down, and I restart using the key in the ignition. Unless you think that the loose clip might also create this problem? Thanks again!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Take a video of your problem if you can and show it to the dealer. Let them know you a very concerned about your personal safety. Video does two things, it shows them the problem and creates a youtube worry.

Inconsistent performance is normally an electric problem. If it were me, I'd let the car idle the full 15 minutes to see if it actually did shut off, just cause... I'm crazy like that. But it's irrelevant, your car is "broken" and the dealer needs to fix it. Unfortunately most of us could only speculate as to what the issue is.

However, if you find the cause PLEASE REPORT back as it will help someone else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts