Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a local shop put in a Compustar RF-2WG5-SH remote starter today :) It has a 3,000 foot range, 2 way communication confirm start, etc. Haven't had a chance to check out the long range capability yet, but with the temps hovering around 100 lately, it's sure nice to have the AC already cooling the car down. $499 + tax installed. A much better deal $$$ wise and range compaired to an OEM one.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Gray Limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight
906 Posts
And you can open the door without killing the engine! (love our Astrostart with similar specs, much better range than the OEM)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Compustart remote antenna

we also just had a compustart 2WG5R installed. it seems to work well. only problem is a 7" long antenna installed right behind the rear view mirror and facing downward - it looks huge! do you have the same antenna? thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without measuring the antenna is about4", and the whole thing might be 7". Mine was mounted sideways and is not vary noticeable to me.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
133 Posts
Last week I had a Viper 4204 2-way remote start installed for $450 out the door. I highly recommend it! :)

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
11 Posts
Without measuring the antenna is about4", and the whole thing might be 7". Mine was mounted sideways and is not vary noticeable to me.
Can you please post a picture of the antenna installed

Thanks
Gta

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you please post a picture of the antenna installed

Thanks
Gta
Hope this works. Haven't done this in forever.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2889/antennaa.jpg

Looks like I can't figure out how to post the pic, but this link seems to work. Almost had to lie down and shoot up to get this pic. The antenna's are just held on with 3M tape. You could carefully pull it loose, and put on some new tape and reposition it, or go back to the installer and have him reposition it.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
133 Posts
The viper antenna is half that size. It is smaller than the OB key. I could post a picture tomorrow when I get home of it installed. But here is a picture I found:
Viper Antenna

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
11 Posts
The viper antenna is half that size. It is smaller than the OB key. I could post a picture tomorrow when I get home of it installed. But here is a picture I found:
Viper Antenna
What model viper was this antenna go with? I'm looking to have a remote installed on my 2013 SAP Subaru. Some of the installers I've talk to didn't know that Subaru had a push button starting system now.

Thanks for the picture
Gta

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
133 Posts
What model viper was this antenna go with? I'm looking to have a remote installed on my 2013 SAP Subaru. Some of the installers I've talk to didn't know that Subaru had a push button starting system now.

Thanks for the picture
Gta

Its a 4204, but I don't have SAP, so I cannot confirm the compatibility, but I can't image it would make a difference.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The compustart 2WG5R's antenna is large, but not that bad. The great thing about it is the 3,000 ft. range. And it talks back, chirps, to let you know the car started. Don't know the sticks on the Viper, but they are suppose to be good units also.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Its a 4204, but I don't have SAP, so I cannot confirm the compatibility, but I can't image it would make a difference.
Subaru won't offer their OEM remote start with SAP for some unknown reason.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,211 Posts
Subaru won't offer their OEM remote start with SAP for some unknown reason.
That's odd, I would think it would be EASIER to implement in the SAP units.

My previous vehicle only required the key be "kicked" to start then it could be released, the computer did the rest. Remote start on this one would be/was super simple (had it factory installed when I ordered though).

On the Subaru (my 2011 anyway), one needs to hold the key in the start position until the engine catches, it took a little reprogramming of my brain to fire it off every time (and I still miss it from time to time and have to start over). This requires a key hold on the remote start signal in order to kick over. I imagine the SAP would bypass that, unless you need to hold the button until engine start.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
In the 2013 OB Brochure under the Genuine Subaru Accessories page (bottom right) is the following:

A/T Only - Excludes Keyless Access and Start System. May not be installed in conjunction with accessory Mobile Internet.

My 2010 OEM remote start only required me to push the Remote Start button twice within a couple of seconds. The car will then start and the blue light on the remote control will start to flash every couple of seconds. Engine will turn off is any door or hood is opened (including the rear hatch).

Weird; but, that's the way it is.

Does your 2011 have an OEM remote starter installed? If so, try the "twice" method - catches every time.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
There are two different Remote Start options on the 2013's, one for SAP and another for the other trim levels. I have an SAP w/RS currently on order.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Good to know as the dealer was not yet aware of that and not having an OEM remote may have been a deal breaker. Not sure yet; however, am looking at a white 2.5i LTD SAP with a few goodies (have to wait for the GTP to catch up to the miles I have on my current OB - or decide to take the trade in "hit"). Thanks for the info.

G-

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,211 Posts
In the 2013 OB Brochure under the Genuine Subaru Accessories page (bottom right) is the following:

A/T Only - Excludes Keyless Access and Start System. May not be installed in conjunction with accessory Mobile Internet.

My 2010 OEM remote start only required me to push the Remote Start button twice within a couple of seconds. The car will then start and the blue light on the remote control will start to flash every couple of seconds. Engine will turn off is any door or hood is opened (including the rear hatch).

Weird; but, that's the way it is.

Does your 2011 have an OEM remote starter installed? If so, try the "twice" method - catches every time.
I fully understand how my remote start works. What I was saying is that it should be easier for a remote start system to trigger a start command if the ignition key doesn't have to be held until the engine catches (when using the key). I know the aftermarket has been doing remote start for a while, the older systems required a tach signal to determine if the vehicle started so it could release the "start" command. With some vehicles only needing a momentary command to trigger the computer to a start sequence, the wiring can be a little simpler.

I guess I overcomplicated things thinking the new system would be a momentary button push instead of a "hold until it starts" setup.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
........... Not sure yet; however, am looking at a white 2.5i LTD SAP with a few goodies (have to wait for the GTP to catch up to the miles I have on my current OB - or decide to take the trade in "hit"). Thanks for the info.

G-
I've got the same thing coming only with too many goodies.:eek: I'm in the same boat on the milage. Mine is only allowed 15k miles. I only drive about 12k a year but am caught between year one and two. I'm high milage for one year and low milage for two so for now I don't qualify. Any ideas when it goes up? Dealer says milage starts when put in service but doesn't know if I have to go to second "birthday" to bump to 30K allowed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts