Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of a 2017 Outback Premium last week here in Maine, the car will be registered in NC and do not need a front license plate.

Can't figure out how to remove. The car will look much better without it.

Appreciate your help.

Spoffington

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
Um ... Phillips head screwdriver?

Unless there's something really weird, or if they have an actual plate / tag in there, in which case, remove the tag and THEN unscrew the front plate holder from the front bumper.

Note that you will have two holes in the front plastic bumper when that's done, so you may want to put a couple of screws back in there.

If for some reason it's NOT a Phillips head screwdriver, then post a picture of your front plate holder so we can let you know.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,504 Posts
If it's the heavy duty one, it's both screwed and double-sided 3M-style taped. Gentle application of heat gun or hairdryer might do it.

Attachments

Reactions: DjPrecision

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,316 Posts
Any body shop can paint plastic plugs to match your color and you can push them in the holes. Had my buddies shop do that for my 09 Spec B I bought used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's the heavy duty one, it's both screwed and double-sided 3M-style taped. Gentle application of heat gun or hairdryer might do it.
The holes where I expected screws had nothing in them. A screwdriver just went right thru with some resistance which is expected if it is the same set up as the rear license plate installation.

I'll try a hair dryer and see if that works.

Thanks for your info.
spoffington

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
153 Posts
After you get it off, I might be interested in it, if it would fit a 2014 for my USCG plate. Anybody know if it would fit? Carl?

My daughter lives in Cary, and I'm there ocasionally.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
After you get it off, I might be interested in it, if it would fit a 2014 for my USCG plate. Anybody know if it would fit? Carl?

My daughter lives in Cary, and I'm there ocasionally.
Don't thnk so, diff PN.
13-14 - NESOW13FP
15+ - NESOW15FP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The holes where I expected screws had nothing in them. A screwdriver just went right thru with some resistance which is expected if it is the same set up as the rear license plate installation.

I'll try a hair dryer and see if that works.

Thanks for your info.
spoffington
provels,

Thanks your tip worked well. They just has it attached with the tape. I used a low wattage hair dryer. I found some wooden shims worked well in letting me move the bracket out as I went along loosening the tape. A bit tedious to start with as you are applying heat thru the bracket, but once you got one edge loosened and put a shim in things went much faster. Clean up was easy the gummy stuff just rolled up into a ball.

Thanks again for your good advice.

Spoffington

ps. this forum is really helpful

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Ahh, so that's what those 2 little dimples are in the front bumper skin....

You could always keep the bracket and put on a tag with some humor...

or...

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
I could use that bracket.... glad to hear they didn't screw it on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts