Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about removing the Silver Front Bumper under guard.... i know there are 4 plastic clips underneath... but after removing that its "stuck" on the top portion but no clips to be seen on the side. I wanted a blacked out look, and was thinking about Wrapping it I'm matte black but if i can remove it and leave it black that would be ideal.

Is it just double sided tape... heat with a heat gun and pull slowly???

don't want to use plastidip and it will likely chip and peel being upfront and low to the ground.... ideas? thoughts? suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6r
15 Posts
its vhb tape (Very High Bond). A heat gun will do the trick, although getting a good angle on the adhesive and not warping the plastic may be tough. Make sure you tape it back down once you're done, 3M's 06384 should work (no promises).

Why not just wrap it while its on the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for info!

not sure i want to wrap it if i can just take it off... i wanna see what it looks like without it. I'm assuming its like the premium and base?
i do like the little bit of bulk it adds just not the silver.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited w ES (Husky)
132 Posts

·
Registered
2015 • 3.6R • BLACKOUT
125 Posts
Now why do you want to do that? The silver under guard looks pretty sexy and give contrast to the otherwise boring oversized bumper.
Because it looks like a snow plow! I also have black and it draws too much attention away from the vehicle and looks completely out of place.

thanks for info!

not sure i want to wrap it if i can just take it off... i wanna see what it looks like without it. I'm assuming its like the premium and base?
i do like the little bit of bulk it adds just not the silver.
Whether or not I remove it or dip is still up in the air. But I agree, it needs to be tamed.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited w ES (Husky)
132 Posts
Because it looks like a snow plow! I also have black and it draws too much attention away from the vehicle and looks completely out of place.
:grin2:
No it does not look like a snow plow....lol...
Honestly it's really nice. Looks more techy.

Maybe you want to put a winch instead???>:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Was thinking about removing the Silver Front Bumper under guard.... i know there are 4 plastic clips underneath... but after removing that its "stuck" on the top portion but no clips to be seen on the side. I wanted a blacked out look, and was thinking about Wrapping it I'm matte black but if i can remove it and leave it black that would be ideal.

Is it just double sided tape... heat with a heat gun and pull slowly???

don't want to use plastidip and it will likely chip and peel being upfront and low to the ground.... ideas? thoughts? suggestions?
Hey, my car is the black one on the right. I recently just peeled the plastidip off of the bottom undergaurd. I forgot what it looked like lol. But if you put 4-5 coats on it, it will be a good layer for at least a year

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now why do you want to do that? The silver under guard looks pretty sexy and give contrast to the otherwise boring oversized bumper.

Another option is you may want to carbon wrap it like what Wilsonn337 did on his in below thread. The Carbon wrap looks pretty awesome. Don't dismantle the "armor" plate. You pay for it.

A lot of people do not like that silver phony plastic bash plate look, myself included. The proof is in 2018 they’ve done away with it. All new lower grills are just solid black, I think it looks better. IMHO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bumper Under Guard

I felt the same way about mine. I picked up a set of Trim removal tools at Harbor Freight and popped the drive rivets. The kit had a reverse notch blade tool that I used to break the VHB tape bond. The bumper looks fantastic without the silver under guard! The silver trim piece is well suited for a street car, but not in keeping with my Baja Beast.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,730 Posts
I never saw any appeal with the bumper underguard. To me it looks like something they put on for protection while shipping the car to the dealer and then they forgot to remove it before the customer took it home.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5
234 Posts
I know this is an old thread - made me go out and look at my 2015 Outback I do some off-road jaunts and this front bumper guard has many scratches on my Outback.
GOOD PROTECTION IF GOING OFFROAD.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
383 Posts
I never saw any appeal with the bumper underguard. To me it looks like something they put on for protection while shipping the car to the dealer and then they forgot to remove it before the customer took it home.
:) Then you would like the look of the 2019 & 2020 Outback 2.5i X that we get over here that has black front & rear bumper under guards, has black rims & some of the ‘chrome’ replaced with black.

For me, I much prefer the ‘chrome’ & the silver coloured front & rear under guards. But to each their own. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts