Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting everyone! I've done my best, but now i need the help of all you subaru gods.

I just purchased my first Subaru. It's a 2001 Outback Limited Manual trans. I bought it from the original family, but the third owner. Somewhere along passing it down someone decided to install a remote start. I just finished pulling ALL of their crappy work out and am trying to return it back to stock.

As of now the drivers door does not turn on the dome light or the indicator on the dash. There are also a few plugs under the dash that I cannot identify. I'm fairly sure that they removed a module that would sit next to the center console under the dash. I've attached some pictures to show the plugs. If any one has any advice on what these plugs go to, or what i should do to get the keyless to work I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
When I bought my 04 outback from insurance auction the car came to me with NO fob at all, and the car clearly had a remote start kit on it.

I went to ebay to get the OEM fob, but whenI went to program the fob, it would in no way program.

I took out the entire remote start system, locating the factory securitty module over near the glovebnox side panel. A wire to the security system was cut, so I patched that, and everything was good.

I have seen too many cars have issues with remote start, would never put a aftermarket one on a car...facotry ones ok, not aftermarket. Some of the wires I found were WAY too thin to carry the current they were carrying, was a fire waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I took the glovebox out and confirmed that the keyless remote module was in place. I don't think this car came with a security system. When i pulled the bezel off from around the radio there wasn't a module on the right side. I tried to see if the car would at least go into a program mode (open/close door then turn ignition on and off 10 times), but the horn did not honk. I'm assuming that because the dome light/dash indicator does not come on when the drivers door is opened is causing problems.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
When I bought my 04 outback from insurance auction the car came to me with NO fob at all, and the car clearly had a remote start kit on it.

I went to ebay to get the OEM fob, but whenI went to program the fob, it would in no way program.

I took out the entire remote start system, locating the factory securitty module over near the glovebnox side panel. A wire to the security system was cut, so I patched that, and everything was good.

I have seen too many cars have issues with remote start, would never put a aftermarket one on a car...facotry ones ok, not aftermarket. Some of the wires I found were WAY too thin to carry the current they were carrying, was a fire waiting to happen.
Not to got off topic here, but I've installed a good many remote starters,(50+) and never once came across one that had wire sizes that were incapable of handling the current of the largest draw in the circuit, which is the blower motor. In some cases, the wires were larger than they needed to be. ie the wire to the starter is only feeding the input of a starter relay, yet it's the same conductor size as the Ignition 1 wire. Don't forget that these modules are not designed to carry the load of every circuit in the vehicle, rather, only the ones necessary to run the engine and HVAC. That's not to say that somebody has connected their own thinner wires to the system, and this is what you have encountered.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
Thanks for the response. I took the glovebox out and confirmed that the keyless remote module was in place. I don't think this car came with a security system. When i pulled the bezel off from around the radio there wasn't a module on the right side. I tried to see if the car would at least go into a program mode (open/close door then turn ignition on and off 10 times), but the horn did not honk. I'm assuming that because the dome light/dash indicator does not come on when the drivers door is opened is causing problems.
Did you check for proper operation of the door switch and associated wiring?
My newest 03 OB's passenger side door won't turn on the interior light. I am pretty sure that the problem is related to the switch.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a new switch but it didn't fix the problem. I'm tearing through wiring diagrams right now to see if I can track it down and figure out what the connector with the jumper was for(And the black one next to it)

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got it all to work. When the drivers door is closed the switch goes to ground. This is a blue and white wire. This wire travels in a loom under the carpet, up over the drive line tunnel and to the passenger door jamb. The loom then runs to the keyless entry unit. I was able to find the section of wire that had a break and splice in a new section. Fixing this allowed me to program a new remote. Thanks again for everyone's help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts