Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
I have a 99 Jetta now, but I'm waiting for the 2013 Outback!
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Dear Dealer,

Thank you for the great deal you got me on my new car! We're both very happy, but I have to tell you, I don't want your logo on my bumper. Getting me a good deal on a new car doesn't mean I'll let you advertise for free.

That being said, how do I remove your logo and adhesive from my new car? You input is much appreciated!

Sincerely, New Car Owner"

Or so many letter to car dealers from new car owners should go.

I removed my dealer's logo from my bumper the other day with a hair dryer and my fingernails, but there's some adhesive goop left behind.

Does anyone know which products are safe to use on a Subaru Outback bumper? I have Goo Gone, but I don't want to use it until I hear back from the forum.

Thanks and I'm REALLY digging my new Outback!

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Mine was on the tailgate just below the Subaru factory installed ones. The dealer's logo was a vinyl material so I just applied some heat - a hair dryer will do - and carefully peeled the letters off. I then used some Nu Finish wax/polish to clean the area where there was still some adhesive on the paint. I think it's much easier to do when you first bring the car home then to wait a few weeks. There was a rubber stamped message on my invoice that said I gave them permission to apply their logo but I think it was added between the time I agreed to buy the car and the time I picked it up.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Goof Off and a wooden Popsicle stick for scraping.
In the future, tell the dealer not to put their advertising on the car. If they do, you are not signing papers until it is removed.
Those logos seem to be a midwest, southeast thing. In ca, we are lucky, dealers only put the license plate frames on.

·
Registered
2005 3.0R VDC Limited Wagon
170 Posts
i did mine when it was cold, the stickers (from two diff. dealers!) were easier to peel since they were hard. i did a little at a time, using my fingernail and then goo gone.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
WD-40 is a solvent - spray some on a rough textured cloth rag and wipe it. If you spray it directly on do not leave it there for very long as it could soften the paint on the soft plastic bumper - which requires a different paint type than the hard body panels. All the plastics that get painted are painted with a softer more flexible paint so that it flexes with the plastic vs cracking and flaking off when the plastic flexes.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
My dealer put their sticker on the hatch below where it says "Symmetrical AWD".

Is it safe to use Goo Gone there?
I wouldn't use googone on my new cars paint job. It contains a number of things that new soft paint would probably not like.

That area is on the hard metal hatch so the paint is a harder tougher paint but new cars still have paints that are curing. Googone on a window - or old shoe or some other thing sure why not. I've tried it on windows with tape goo left found that it didn't work any better than the standard stuff like wd-40 etc.

·
Registered
I have a 99 Jetta now, but I'm waiting for the 2013 Outback!
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dealer put their sticker on the hatch below where it says "Symmetrical AWD".

Is it safe to use Goo Gone there?
I wouldn't use googone on my new cars paint job. It contains a number of things that new soft paint would probably not like.

That area is on the hard metal hatch so the paint is a harder tougher paint but new cars still have paints that are curing. Googone on a window - or old shoe or some other thing sure why not. I've tried it on windows with tape goo left found that it didn't work any better than the standard stuff like wd-40 etc.
That was my concern. If I can't use Goo Gone, what do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Back in the day when enamels and lacquer were used on new cars, I would worry about soft paint.
Modern finishes are two stage acrylic urethane, dry hard as nails immediately. Use Goo Gone/Goof Off on a new finish without worry.
Test on a hidden area first to reassure yourself.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Any time I have to remove those and don't want to damage the paint I use a product called Bestine. (Link to product) Best stuff for not damaging plastic while removing labels. It can be found either online or at better art supply houses.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts
Dealer stickers are a peave of mine. Every time I buy a car I ask the dealer for a substantial discount for my advertising services over the life of my payment plan. If they don't figure it out and ask...I tell them that because they have their sticker on what is now my car...not theirs...they need to pay me for advertising for them. It's a great way to get them to remove it before I take possession of the car....and is a great way to lead into a discussion about a discount on the price on the car...:29:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Dealer stickers are a peave of mine. Every time I buy a car I ask the dealer for a substantial discount for my advertising services over the life of my payment plan. If they don't figure it out and ask...I tell them that because they have their sticker on what is now my car...not theirs...they need to pay me for advertising for them. It's a great way to get them to remove it before I take possession of the car....and is a great way to lead into a discussion discount on the price on the car...:29:
Here in Ca, dealers love putting on their plastic dealer advertising license plate frames.
It is the first thing I remove and throw away when I get the new car home.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
Dealer stickers are a peave of mine. Every time I buy a car I ask the dealer for a substantial discount for my advertising services over the life of my payment plan. If they don't figure it out and ask...I tell them that because they have their sticker on what is now my car...not theirs...they need to pay me for advertising for them. It's a great way to get them to remove it before I take possession of the car....and is a great way to lead into a discussion discount on the price on the car...:29:
Could not of said that better myself.. In fact I have told them they can leave it on if they pay me $50 bucks a month in fees... Just ordered a new Roo... I have already told them DON'T PUT A STICKER ON THERE!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
972 Posts
I think Goo-Gone is safe enough - another alternative that is OK with painted panels is 3M tar and adhesive remover. This also works for removing glued-on model badges and nameplates (where the recommended technique is to use dental floss to actually remove the badge/nameplate, and then the solvent to get rid of the residual glue).

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited w/Nav Satin White Pearl
38 Posts
Rubbing alcohol also works. I used that with the hair dryer to remove mine and on my mom's car. Her car was harder because it was almost 3 years old at the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts