Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi...i just recently got a subaru outback...i had driven a 2012,and it didnt have paddle shifters,and i loved it...now,i just recieved my new 2013 outback,and it has these giant,3" x 1" paddle shifters,about an inch behind the steering wheel...when i try to turn corners,my fingers get caught,and ive barely been able to avoid a wreck three times due to these awful,awful devices...i dont understand why they would even be on an auto...if i REALLY felt the need to pretend its a sports car and race around,i can manual shift with a stick much easier!!!

my question is,how do i remove them?? :confused: they are truly,truly awful and i hate them,and i just want them gone...im not the sole owner or i would just break them off...and i hate toi think i actually paid for these stupid,stupid devices

so,how do i get rid of em?they are a hazard and im afraid to drive the car with them....they are the most unsafe thing ive ever seen stock on a car:(

please help,the car,as it is,is too unsafe for me to drive

thanks

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hack saw might do it.

I knew a guy once that kept putting his AT into neutral - guessing some type of mental disorder he did it in any random place highway - going up hills etc. Finally one day the locking mechanism didn't prevent it from going into park. Lets just say he takes the bus now. All of us are much safer now. He also seems to be far far more happy too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my problem is i have big,thick hands and fingers,and there just isnt room for my fingers and those awful paddles that i know ill never use....

unfortunately,after some reading,it seems you cant manual shift using the stick...retarded design...the few times you might actually need it(like a freak super short entrance ramp to a crowded,fast freeway(as in L.A.)) you cant use it unless you use those awful paddles....

sad that they can take such good vehicles and ruin them with such a tiny flaw

still,would like to find a way to safely remove them without ruining the value of the car...as a hacksaw would do...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
my problem is i have big,thick hands and fingers,and there just isnt room for my fingers and those awful paddles that i know ill never use....

unfortunately,after some reading,it seems you cant manual shift using the stick...retarded design...the few times you might actually need it(like a freak super short entrance ramp to a crowded,fast freeway(as in L.A.)) you cant use it unless you use those awful paddles....

sad that they can take such good vehicles and ruin them with such a tiny flaw

still,would like to find a way to safely remove them without ruining the value of the car...as a hacksaw would do...
Pretty sure the handle can be removed a dealer can probably do it if you explain why. Make sure they put all the bits in a baggy and give them to you.

By the way down shifting for a short entrance ramp with the CVT just involves booting it with the throttle CVT is not your normal fixed gear automatic.

The Paddles work great for driving in steep terrain where down shifting to check speed or dropping to manual mode to hold a gear ratio during a long climb. Sporty driving with the OB is kinda hopeless however holding 2nd to hammer through some tight twisties works its the rest of the car that starts squealing bobbing and weaving like a drunk that becomes the issue. However the Legacy easily handles the 2.5 and would be lots of fun with the 3.6.

·
Registered
592 Posts
hi...i just recently got a subaru outback...i had driven a 2012,and it didnt have paddle shifters,and i loved it...
Were you driving a stick shift 2012? The paddle shifters are not new with the 2013's (I have them on my 2010, same vehicle more sans some trims, cost reduction, and shake-proofing as the 2012 and they've been around much longer).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Paddle shifters started happening in like 08 I think Tribeca had them. The CVT from 2010 forward was standard with paddle shifters - same for the 5spd AT in the 3.6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe they were set back farther? i honestly didnt notice them when i drove the 2012,and they are totally in the way on the 2013...and im sure it wasnt a manual....if i didnt have to share the car,i would have gotten a manual trans from the start,i dislike automatics to begin with,but i got outvoted

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
almost every new automatic vehicle has them. if it really bothers you, i don't think the steering wheel is hard to disassemble, if you know what you're doing. why not put in a cool momo steering wheel?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
almost every new automatic vehicle has them. if it really bothers you, i don't think the steering wheel is hard to disassemble, if you know what you're doing. why not put in a cool momo steering wheel?
FYI for those thinking about this...

I have not dismantled a post air bag steering wheel but more than one mechanic has died because they accidentally triggered the air bag.

Not saying it's not easy, just make sure you know the steps before you go poking around.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One thing I do agree with the op on. SOA should design the console shifter on all models to work in manual mode, Nissan does this, pull the shifter to the left out of auto mode and you have a + push shifter forward and - pull shifter back option, it is nice to have two options for manual cvt shifting, paddles or console shifter. This is very nice on curvy roads where it can be tricky to get to the paddles. I miss this from my Nissan Rogue.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Maybe this will solve your problem

Custom Accessories Steering Wheel Spinner - JCWhitney

personally, I like the paddle shifters, and can't imagine how they could possibly cause an unsafe driving condition. As mentioned they are becoming the norm, so it will be hard to find a CVT without them.
Ahh, memories, I remember seeing those on "hot rods" in the fifties. I'm surprised they are still around. I figured some frivolous(sp?) lawsuit would have killed them. Where are curb feelers and fuzzy dice when you need them.;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well I've had mine for two years now (Oct 23 was the two year anniversary date) and I don't really use the shifters myself. Of course the idea behind them is so that your hands don't leave the steering wheel when you're shifting, which is safer, but I know what the OP means when A) they get in the way and B) are useless when you are turning (can't really access them that well).

If I had one pet peeve, that would be it. I can live with it, but if Subaru is listening to us, they should put it on the stick on console like Nissan.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If I had one pet peeve, that would be it. I can live with it, but if Subaru is listening to us, they should put it on the stick on console like Nissan.
This is where I disagree. I have driven cars with the "sportshift" on the console and hated it. My instinct is to row the gears up, down, up, down. So if I pop into "M" and go one way to shift, I naturally reach for the shifter and push it the other way for the next gear. NOT GOOD when you went down for 3 and expect up to be 4th, but it throws you in 2nd :gasp:.

I for one, appreciate the distinct difference between a auto-manual paddle and an actual shifter on a MT.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The paddle shifters don't bother me. Granted, not much need for them in a CVT but they are worth while on long downhills and though I have not used the OB in snow, I've read that at times starting in 2nd is recommended. If you do take them out I would follow the advise of keeping everything in a bag. Most likely, who ever gets the car next will want them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can tell you this, my 08 and my 12 Tribeca do not have paddle shifters. My 2013 OB does.
I'm 6`3" and 290#`s and don't have any issues with inadvertently hitting or getting caught between the paddles and the steering wheel. In fact I rather enjoy not having to take my hands off the wheel to downshift on hills or to pass some one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i had driven a 2012,and it didnt have paddle shifters,and i loved it...now,i just recieved my new 2013 outback,and it has these giant,3" x 1" paddle shifters,about an inch behind the steering wheel...when i try to turn corners,my fingers get caught,and ive barely been able to avoid a wreck three times due to these awful,awful devices...i dont understand why they would even be on an auto...if i REALLY felt the need to pretend its a sports car and race around,i can manual shift with a stick much easier!!!

my question is,how do i remove them?? :confused: they are truly,truly awful and i hate them,and i just want them gone...im not the sole owner or i would just break them off...and i hate toi think i actually paid for these stupid,stupid devices

so,how do i get rid of em?they are a hazard and im afraid to drive the car with them....they are the most unsafe thing ive ever seen stock on a car:(

please help,the car,as it is,is too unsafe for me to drive

thanks
Wow. This is the most overly-dramatic post I've read here to date.

BTW - Unless the 2012 you drove was a 5-speed manual then it most certainly did have paddle shifters.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
29 Participants
Pilot1226
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing