Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman View Post
One thing I do agree with the op on. SOA should design the console shifter on all models to work in manual mode, Nissan does this, pull the shifter to the left out of auto mode and you have a + push shifter forward and - pull shifter back option, it is nice to have two options for manual cvt shifting, paddles or console shifter. This is very nice on curvy roads where it can be tricky to get to the paddles. I miss this from my Nissan Rogue.

Wow 6 years since I posted the quote above. Subaru got it right. I like the paddle shifters just the way they are.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman View Post
One thing I do agree with the op on. SOA should design the console shifter on all models to work in manual mode, Nissan does this, pull the shifter to the left out of auto mode and you have a + push shifter forward and - pull shifter back option, it is nice to have two options for manual cvt shifting, paddles or console shifter. This is very nice on curvy roads where it can be tricky to get to the paddles. I miss this from my Nissan Rogue.

Wow 6 years since I posted the quote above. Subaru got it right. I like the paddle shifters just the way they are.
Those shifting while turning probably need a driving lesson.......>:)

or just leave the car in auto mode.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,551 Posts
The old 4EAT behaved like that in Sport mode, didn't it? I think I remember doing that in my 09 Legacy. But yeah, shifting while in the turn is probably not the best technique regardless of where your mechanism is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my problem is i have big,thick hands and fingers,and there just isnt room for my fingers and those awful paddles that i know ill never use....

unfortunately,after some reading,it seems you cant manual shift using the stick...retarded design...the few times you might actually need it(like a freak super short entrance ramp to a crowded,fast freeway(as in L.A.)) you cant use it unless you use those awful paddles....

sad that they can take such good vehicles and ruin them with such a tiny flaw

still,would like to find a way to safely remove them without ruining the value of the car...as a hacksaw would do...
my problem is i have big,thick hands and fingers,and there just isnt room for my fingers and those awful paddles that i know ill never use....

unfortunately,after some reading,it seems you cant manual shift using the stick...retarded design...the few times you might actually need it(like a freak super short entrance ramp to a crowded,fast freeway(as in L.A.)) you cant use it unless you use those awful paddles....

sad that they can take such good vehicles and ruin them with such a tiny flaw

still,would like to find a way to safely remove them without ruining the value of the car...as a hacksaw would do...
Do you hold the wheel at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 (clock positions) I don’t see how it would be an issue if you were holding the steering wheel correctly

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
paddle shifters are no problem even for my giant fingers, never once rubbed up against them. May I suggest that you pay more attention to what you are doing when driving?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
I certainly don’t understand all the fuss that the OP is getting on with over the paddle shifters. Yep, they are large and kinda fugly but they certainly don’t constitter a driving hazard. If that were the case they would not be there. If you’re not using them they’re not in in the way at all. In the ten years we’ve had our OB, almost 140,000 miles (122,000 km) they have never been a problem or safety issue. Me thinks it’s all in your head.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts