Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
The parking break button in my outback needs to be replaced.
I followed the instructions in 22 Console box pdf. I need to remove the cover assembly to replace my parking brake switch. I was able to release the 4 clips but the cover assembly still doesnt come out. There is something stuck near the top left corner(circled in picture). Can someone please tell me if I am missing something. Bw, does the shifter being in Neutral or Parking location matter in this step ?

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,225 Posts
It may be just a stubborn clip. Try pushing the other three corners down and start with the front left and work your way around.

Now I have to ask why you think the park brake switch is bad? Has the switch ever been unplugged? Do you have codes set? There's an updated connector for the switch. The lock tab doesn't hold on the original and the connector comes loose with vibrations.

It's also covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Agreed - sounds like a clip that just won't let go as easily. Should just be the 4, one on each corner and it pops off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.
Its little over 3years old so out of warranty. I took it to the dealership and they confirmed that the switch needs to be replaced. dealership is asking 250$ to fix it.
After i removed all the 4 clips, i was able to see the clip close to top left corner almost out so i dont think its the clip. If anyone else has a 2017 outback, can you please try removing the cover and confirm that there is nothing else holding it in that corner. I am worried that applying too much force might break it.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,356 Posts
The diagram looks identical to the 2015 - I had no issues pulling that panel, although I don't recall the process exactly. But I highly doubt there's anything unique to the 2017 in that location, so you probably just have to be more forceful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts