Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The end goal of this project is to remove the bottom of the compartment and create a new false bottom which I can store a firearm (with valid Concealed Carry Permit) or other valuables. Thew new bottom will sit flush with the cigarette lighter plug in and should be very hard to notice.

I plan to remove the two part shell which composes the interior of the center console and then cut away part of the liner that sits higher than the lowest part of the cavity. I am looking for information on the steps required to remove the center console entirely or just the black carpet-like coated liners in the center console if those can be removed without needing to remove more pieces.

I have read some people who state that creating a hidden compartment in a vehicle is illegal, but I have found this only to be true if illegal substances are found inside the compartment.

According to the Ohio Revised Code....

2923.241 Hidden compartments in vehicles.

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,860 Posts
Is there a hollow space under there? I would be surprised.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a small amount of extra space below the bottom of the container... about 1/2 inch that is occupied by some loose wiring... for my needs though I really only need the majority of the floor to be as low as the current lowest part - Not any lower.

There may be something like a duct or the like under that raised portion, but i do not have rear adjustable vents so doubt that is the case.

I really just need to get things apart to see if my plan is feasible.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback
82 Posts
Might be easier to build your compartment as is and cover in same type material as OEM. Even relocating 12v plug might be easier.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
448 Posts
I’ve been trying to find a secure way to lock a gun inside my OB. My Jeep Wrangler had a steel slide out drawer under the drivers seat that locked and when I had to go to the Post Office or Bank, I could lock my concealed carry gun in there securely. I would like to find a good lockable solution for my OB for those few times I have to go to a gun-Free zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
I’ve been trying to find a secure way to lock a gun inside my OB. My Jeep Wrangler had a steel slide out drawer under the drivers seat that locked and when I had to go to the Post Office or Bank, I could lock my concealed carry gun in there securely. I would like to find a good lockable solution for my OB for those few times I have to go to a gun-Free zone.

Console Vault. That's the answer for the OB. Get the 4 tumbler model. 10 minute install. I am VERY happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
If it not on my strong side then it sits between driver seat and center console with a black microfiber cloth over it to keep it from prying eyes. As you know it's still considered concealed. When at at VA Clinic I keep it in a gun fault in the cubby.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
there is a small amount of extra space below the bottom of the container... about 1/2 inch that is occupied by some loose wiring... for my needs though I really only need the majority of the floor to be as low as the current lowest part - Not any lower.

There may be something like a duct or the like under that raised portion, but i do not have rear adjustable vents so doubt that is the case.

I really just need to get things apart to see if my plan is feasible.
OK. It would be helpful if you put your car info (year, model, trim) in your profile data that appears under your username.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
14 Posts
Console Vault. That's the answer for the OB. Get the 4 tumbler model. 10 minute install. I am VERY happy with it.
Absolutely. Fit is perfect and install is so easy I was sure I was missing something. 4 digit code version is very smooth and overall design is secure and wastes almost no space. The small coin tray still fits in as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I read the description and saw the pics of the Console Vault, but I am still not understanding something. Do the self-tapping screws bore new holes into the inside of the car console? In other words, if I remove the Console Vault, what kind of modification would be left in the car?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
On the inside of your existing console there are two hollow plastic nubs. The self tapping screws they provide screw into those.

If you remove the console it leaves no marks or hardware.

You can also Google "Legacy" and "Console Vault" for pics.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,033 Posts
On the inside of your existing console there are two hollow plastic nubs. The self tapping screws they provide screw into those.

If you remove the console it leaves no marks or hardware.

You can also Google "Legacy" and "Console Vault" for pics.
Bet that suckers easy to manhandle out!

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
I'm not seeing your point although the console can be forcibly removed by a determined thief and like any other device, it only slows down or discourages.

There really isn't a good way for a thief to get a handle on it to rip it out. It's a very secure system that isn't going to be pried open without difficultu, if at all, and your valuables are quite safe.

Unless you have one it's hard to see the build quality or the thinking that went into it. A very solid product that isn't lifted from the center console without destroying the console itself.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,033 Posts
A very solid product that isn't lifted from the center console without destroying the console itself.
My point exactly...2 screws into plastic hold it in? A quick prick with a crowbar should pop that sucker right out. Put yes I do get your point. I suspect a gun is a bit cheaper than a destroyed center console though. I like the OP idea of a hidden compartment in the bottom of the console if it can be done!

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
My point exactly...2 screws into plastic hold it in? A quick prick with a crowbar should pop that sucker right out. Put yes I do get your point. I suspect a gun is a bit cheaper than a destroyed center console though. I like the OP idea of a hidden compartment in the bottom of the console if it can be done!
Depends on the gun.......

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The hidden compartment at the bottom is undesirable. Even extremely tidy people will have stuff on top of the false bottom. So, there is no way to sneak something in there without causing a scene. You would have to drive around and find some place where there is nobody around and do your thing.

Also, you either leave all your crap lying outside the console or load your crap back on top of the false bottom, which would again cause a scene. If you leave your crap out, is there stuff that looks desirable (like a pocket knife or flashlight) or are you hauling that stuff to the rear? If you load crap back on top of the false bottom, then you cause a scene again if you want your gun when you get back.

What if you forgot something at home and have to go through this routine all again? I would get sick of the false bottom quickly and seldom use it. All of this adds up to compromised security, while your whole point of having a false bottom was improved security.

Further, if you make a false bottom, you are stuck going down that road. You cannot easily decide to get a Console Vault down the line. You would have to reverse your modification first. In contrast, you can get a Console Vault and try it out for 30 days (or whatever their return period is) without too much consequence.

·
Registered
855 Posts

I found a small lockable steel box with foam liner that fits neatly under the driver's seat. Then cabled it to the seat leg. Sure....if one has the right tools they could cut the cable quickly, but a grab and run car break-in thief is unlikely to have tools. Will hold any common handgun. Only used it a few times, but as you said, sometimes you are in a no-carry situation and have to leave it in the car.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

I found a small lockable steel box with foam liner that fits neatly under the driver's seat. Then cabled it to the seat leg. Sure....if one has the right tools they could cut the cable quickly, but a grab and run car break-in thief is unlikely to have tools. Will hold any common handgun. Only used it a few times, but as you said, sometimes you are in a no-carry situation and have to leave it in the car.
Do you have a link or name? I am not sure yet if I want to give up my center console to a Console Vault. I am looking at Titan Vault, but I think I prefer Console Vault over that. If I could quickly tryout demos, that would satisfy all my curiosity!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Do you have a link or name? I am not sure yet if I want to give up my center console to a Console Vault. I am looking at Titan Vault, but I think I prefer Console Vault over that. If I could quickly tryout demos, that would satisfy all my curiosity!
I can't find the receipt or past order but it's likely from Amazon. Check out CARETAKER Metal Lockable Gun Case & Security Box on Amazon that might be it. Then get a cable with loop at both ends to attach to a bolt through the box floor (carriage bolt to fit a square hole with the head on the outside) . Loop it around the seat post and into the box. Cable diameter isn't too important since cutting almost any steel cable without good cutters is almost impossible. Besides, the thief won't know what's in the box even if they could discover it under your seat.
PM me if you need more details.

Reactions: jakemccoy
1 - 20 of 41 Posts