Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just purchased a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV a couple weeks back. It’s my first car purchase and is replacing my old truck that now needs a new trans. But so i got it from a dealer with 90k miles on it, they did the whole interior/exterior detail and wash and what not. But after some time I’ve noticed that the interior is still pretty nasty in all the nooks and crannies around the cup holder and shifter. Was wondering if you guys know how to remove the shifter and trim panel to get in there and clean everything? I’ve searched across the internet but can’t find a **** thing.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hey guys,
Just purchased a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV a couple weeks back. It’s my first car purchase and is replacing my old truck that now needs a new trans. But so i got it from a dealer with 90k miles on it, they did the whole interior/exterior detail and wash and what not. But after some time I’ve noticed that the interior is still pretty nasty in all the nooks and crannies around the cup holder and shifter. Was wondering if you guys know how to remove the shifter and trim panel to get in there and clean everything? I’ve searched across the internet but can’t find a **** thing.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,751 Posts
I've had mine off and that video doesn't seem all too relevant. You can follow the instructions in the attached PDF to get much of it apart. This will allow you to clean some stuff a lot more easily. It also becomes possible to pull the EPB switch assembly apart if that happens to be gunked up (I managed that without instructions - just be careful with it).

Attachments

·
Registered
17' Outback Touring 3.6R
233 Posts
Compressed air and small brushes can help tool before taking things apart.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Q tips, compressed air and a toothbrush are my recommendations...asking for trouble when you start popping clips off while taking old, sun-dried plastic apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried qtips, haven’t tried a toothbrush but i will definitely tomorrow. What’s stuck inside the crevices looks like food crumbs and dirt and dust. The worst it around the gear shifter and the EPB/xmode port. I would rather not used compressed air cause i want to get it out not blow underneath the trim and send it flying throughout my car.

·
Registered
17' Outback Touring 3.6R
233 Posts
Firm bristled toothbrush and a vacuum with the crevice tip. Even using a brush you'll get debris flying. You could also do the same with the compressed air and have the vacuum near it.

Can also get firmer bristles with a gun cleaning brush. Has nylon bristles so it shouldn't scratch anything.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,751 Posts
It's not a big deal at all to remove the center console - the clips are protected from sunlight. Far more effective way to clean that gunk out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts