Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spilled a FULL cup of coffee on my ivory cloth passenger seat yesterday and was able to use Resolve carpet cleaner to remove the stain.

Now the issue is about half of the coffee absorbed into the foam (I assume) so the car/seat smell like stale coffee.

Can anyone recommend a foam or cleaner that would serve to clean and neutralize the odor?

It's going to be nice this weekend so I can let the car air dry and put a fan on it.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
I would " soak" it with water after taking the seat out.

Take a hose and SOAK it for about 10 minutes....Then let dry

Should take car of most , if not all the smell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would " soak" it with water after taking the seat out.

Take a hose and SOAK it for about 10 minutes....Then let dry

Should take car of most , if not all the smell
When you say take the seat out, I assume you literally mean remove the bolts and cables and remove the seat from the car?

How difficult is that to do? I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy fwiw, is there any way to remove just the cloth/fabric from the seat to get at the foam?

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
Febreze is supposedly an odor neutralizer, though I'm not sure how well that penetrates.

Might I recommend a donut-scented air freshener?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes........remove all........BUT....on a brand new car.......I would probably go to a detail shop. I trusted ,and ask them their opinion about getting the coffee smell out.

Does this have heated seats ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Probably would NOT soak them...... Could cause other issues.....

I woiuld take a sponge...pretty soaked...and " pat the seat" to get the top layer pretty wet....Then take WHITE papertowels and " pat" dry.

I have done this before with very good success.

Roll down ALL windows and keep ALL doors open to " air out"
If its a good suuny warm day...should take about 6 to 8 hours to dry.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I called the local dealership and they said as part of their $99.95 detailing package they could shampoo it - though I'd need to leave the car there for 4 hours to dry out. I may go that route, thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium, sold 2003 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Limited
207 Posts
Definitely don't soak it. You may end up destroying the heating element and introduce rust to all the metal tubing inside that seat. Car seats are usually made of bare steel that already looks somewhat rusty.... I have a carpet cleaning machine with a handheld brush/suction nozzle attachment. I have cleaned upholstery and carpets in my cars with a lot of success. If you own one or can borrow one from someone, it works really well. Otherwise, a trip to a detail shop sounds like a good idea. :29:

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
Park closer to starbucks, nobody will notice. ;)
Zactly! WHY would you want to eliminate the coffee aroma?

...it could come in handy at DUI checkpoints,

Looby

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the seat covers are washable then you can wash them with some good smell detergent.. if not then you have to use some cleaner to clean them and use a freshener to make the environment smell good. I hope it will works for you.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I use a wet Golden Retriever. Actually, baking soda is great from removing odors. Leave it opened near/under the seat for a week or so. They actually sell Arm and Hammer with a little screen so the powder is exposed but does not spill. There are other odor absorber products in little cans that you just leave opened.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i wouldn't use any cleaners...that stuff just covers it up or temporarily absorbs odors present in the cabin...but doesn't get to the source. if it "works" it's only because it covered it up long enough for it to dissipate itself. at which point you might as well just air it and wait, use your own perfumes, sprays, as temporary band aids.

i would just leave it, there are millions of old cars with stains, coffee, etc that don't smell.

that being said, if you want to neutralize the source there's only one way besides replacing the seat - an ozone generator. it'll work and not just cover it up, it's gone and done, they are amazingly effective and something this simple would be chump change.

place it on the passengers floorboard and keep all the windows closed up. i'd run it about 3 hours. i usually do an entire car and leave it overnight, that seems overkill for one seat. never did "one spot" before like this but i might consider using a fan pointed at the seat.

keep it locked and watched and open the doors when you're done to air it out. the ozone inside displaces all the oxygen and it's toxic in such a confined space.

rent them from tool rental places that do like heavy equipment, scaffolding, backhoe's, sanders, etc. or rent them online, you mail them back when you're done. hotels and fire departments have them. some detailers may have them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all take off the seat cover and wash that with hot water.. then take some hot water and dip a cloth in the water and make wet the stain area.. then use some detergent and again wash that with hot water.. them smell will go..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts