Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am hoping those of you that have removed dash trim can give me some guidance. I plan on hardwiring my GPS and I usually do this by installing a power adapter in the dash on the driver side, then hiding the power cable behind the A pillar.

What is the best way to remove the plastic cover on the left side of the dash (not visible if door is closed)? The piece just around the corner from the parking brake button.

As a bonus, do you know of any good 12v sources that shut off with the car in that area?

Any help would be appreciated and would save me some time of digging around with a multimeter.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
You don't have to remove anything; I hard wired Garmin GPS on my 2010 Forester by running (pushing) the wire between the top dash and side windshield panel and then between the dash and side molding down to the fuse box...with a plastic putty knife or similar tool...then just pick one empty slot in the fuse box (that is live, when you start the car) and tap into it with add-a-circuit fuse connector...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
You can mount it on windshield pillar using pro-clip GSP holder...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The model I am looking at has a powered cradle, so I couldn't use a different one, but I appreciate the suggestion. I usually just mount it near the top of the A pillar, where it's shaded from sun and out of the way of looking at the road.

Any good power sources other than the cig lighter? Something on the left of the steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Go down to fuse box and hard wire it there... I did it several times...

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
If you want to remove that little side trim panel, there are just three clips holding it as shown in diagram attached (the little dashed circles). Just carefully pry it off. (note: this shows how to remove the glove box as well, just ignore that. The trim panel on the driver's side is attached the same way)

I have hard wired GPS units on multiple cars and never had to take off trim. Just fish the wire where you want it. Connecting to an empty fuse is the best solution, as Jogosub said. I've done it twice in my current Roo.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
This thread assumes you know your way around car elecs.
Jogo-s has the right idea, clean no splicing add-a-circ. The power window circ is usually a good candidate, it’s high amp and switched. So you don’t have to splice the GPS cradle/cable, build/hook up a cig female/socket to the add-a-circ.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I would be very careful sticking a putty knife behind the A piller trim----There is an airbag in there.:gasp:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot for that diagram! And I'll definitely use the tip about getting behind the panel via the fuse box.

As far as wiring, I'm very comfortable with it, I just wanted some ideas about wiring locations since the car is new and I haven't tinkered around behind the dash at all yet.

Thanks again for all the info!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jogo, tapping into the fuse block that way was a great suggestion. I used empty fuse slot #27, which is already wired with switched power. Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, found that I can run the GPS power cable down the rubber grommet on the left of the A pillar, rather than trying to run it inside the pillar. Easy, perfect looking install. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i Limited MT Newport Blue. Yakima load bars and feet, Yakima and Rocky Mounts bike mounts.
16 Posts
jogosub: can I use this to hardwire a garage remote transmitter? I want to connect a momentary switch to the remote and tap into the car's battery then mount the switch somewhere on the dash, perhaps on the blank button to the right of the power mirror button (2008 OB).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts