Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purchase experience at my dealer has been one of the best -- no complaints at all. But until I picked up the car I didn't realize that they would put a sticker with the dealer's name right above the Subaru name on the tailgate! It really looks bad on there and I'd like to get it off ASAP. You'd think the license plate frame would be enough...

It's not a rectangular shape -- just the dealer's name in script made from a thin plastic material. I tried getting under it with a fingernail to peel it off, but it's very thin and I didn't have much luck with that -- mainly just scraped off some small pieces. I was thinking of using a hair dryer to really soften it up and then work it off with my fingernail. Mainly I want it off before it takes too much of a set on there.

If I were going back to the dealer soon I'd ask him to get it off, but it's a couple hours round trip for that. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,176 Posts
As you suggested a hair dryer will warm the glue and it will come off easily. A razorblade scrapper is the other option. I too hate their stickers. My indy mechanic does the same thing. I peel it off straight away.

Reactions: provels

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,106 Posts
Make the dealer take it off, even though it's a two-hour drive. That way, if there are any issues with the paint, they will have to make it right.

You bought this vehicle in the exact condition you saw it in when you test drove it. They were not authorized to add this item. It's up to them to make it right if you don't want it on the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most dealers will refuse to take it off for the same reason you didn't want it on there in the first place. You could damage the paint removing it. I have vinyl stickers on my car. Even took off those gaudy 4x4 stickers off the side of our truck.

However, if it's just vinyl and relatively new, it should come off easily. I did it without warming it up on my Outback, but it just came off the truck a couple weeks before I got it so the vinyl was easy. A hair dryer to warm it up would help, avoid any sharpe razors and don't pick at it too hard. Have some Detailer spray ready to wipe the area down afterwords in case it takes any wax off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use dental floss so it doesn't mess with the paint. Then some adhesive remover, not goo-gone or goof-off.
Actually I saw a Googone product that says it's specifically for cars and can even be used to debadge a car. I might try some in a hidden area to make sure it doesn't affect the paint and then try it if the hair dryer trick doesn't work. The sticker is too thin for dental floss to get under it.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Most dealers will refuse to take it off for the same reason you didn't want it on there in the first place.
Too bad. But they shouldn't be allowed to weasel out of it. If they have to fix some paint, maybe they can learn a lesson from the experience.

This is the sort of matter that, when elevated to the owner, will get fixed. It might, as you suggest, have some resistance in the lower ranks.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza SP CVT
385 Posts
This won't help in removing the sticker but what I've done prevented a sticker/badge from being put there in the first place.
The deal I made with the dealer (a couple of different ones actually) was that I will buy a car from you IF you do not put your dealer sticker or badge on it. In exchange, I'll allow a number plate frame with your dealer name on it. If the dealer declined, I walked.
The dealers complied and so did I.

Along the same lines as dental floss, fishing line or a guitar string work well for those really stubborn badges.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
53 Posts
Forget the Goo gone. Forget the razor blade. Heat gun or good hairdryer and patience. About five minutes warming and you can carefully pull it off once you start with the fingernail. Then a bit of WD-40 To remove the remaining adhesive.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Forget the Goo gone. Forget the razor blade. Heat gun or good hairdryer and patience. About five minutes warming and you can carefully pull it off once you start with the fingernail. Then a bit of WD-40 To remove the remaining adhesive.
Or just not worry about it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
453 Posts
Don’t think so, I’m not giving free advertising for the dealer for the next 10 years.

Maybe free oil changes as payment.

Saw a dealer sticker on an OB 2 days ago, it was crooked. I’d have words with the salesman if that happened, not only are they not putting a sticker or bracket on my car, but at least do it right.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you saw it you'd want it off, too. It's just above the Subaru lettering. It's bright white, which really stands out on the Wilderness Green. Maybe I'll post a pic here for general interest. I did find a Youtube video removing this type of sticker with the hair dryer and fingernail method, so I'll try that first. And I hope that the poster who suggested a razor blade was just thinking that it was a sticker on a window!

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
I agree with you 100%. How presumptuous of these dealers to think you're so proud of where you bought your car, that you want to display it right up there with the manufacturer's badgeing.

I had a bad experience once trying to remove a dealer's name off my car; so ever since then, I specifically ask that nothing be attached to the car. I've never gotten any arguments about that. I tell them that I'd be happy to accept a license plate frame with the dealer's name. I don't mind giving them a free plug, but I can remove it whenever I want. It's all about choice!

Good luck, I hope it works out for you without leaving any trace that it was ever there.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited
4 Posts
The dealer where we bought our Outback was sourcing it from another dealer. I asked them not to put a dealer sticker on the car. I told them a license plate frame was fine. Our salesperson took care of it. This was the first time I requested no decal but it didn’t seem to be a big issue with the dealer.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
And it's no worry whatsoever. If car has it on, I just won't take delivery.

Again, it's up to the dealer to give you the car in the exact condition you saw it in when you test drove it. It's not even my job to tell them this, they have to know. If they choose to violate these implicit terms of sale, then they have to make it right, to my satisfaction.

License plates are no problem for me, BTW. I can and have removed those items with no trace of what was there. Last time in fact I just said "mail them to me when they arrive", and they did.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Send the dealer a bill for advertising on your car.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
178 Posts
Don’t think so, I’m not giving free advertising for the dealer for the next 10 years.

Maybe free oil changes as payment.

Saw a dealer sticker on an OB 2 days ago, it was crooked. I’d have words with the salesman if that happened, not only are they not putting a sticker or bracket on my car, but at least do it right.
Are you going to take off all the Subaru badges too?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
453 Posts
Are you going to take off all the Subaru badges too?
The greater chunk of money i paid for the car goes to Subaru and they gave me a decent product, thus I’ve no problem with their badges. Only thing I get from the dealer is, well, a lot for them to sell cars out of and a sales force.

I have a love/hate relationship with my dealer. I like the sales guy, I’ve rewarded them with 4 out of the last 5 Subaru’s in our family. The service dept. I use reluctantly as the car’s under warranty. They are annoying as all crap with useless things they push on me.

So no, I’m not wearing a license bracket from them, nor a sticker.

Saw an OB a few weeks ago from a Subaru dealer in Brooklyn, the stick on dealer name was right below the Subaru badge and was crooked. I mean - really ?, you can’t get your guys to pay attention to crap like this ?. Wonder what else they don’t pay attention too. I would have insisted they remove it, or refused the bloody car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts