Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I (rather tragically) ran my brand new 2012 Outback against a concrete pole which dented my passenger side door, and left paint marks on on the door and the plastic molding near the bottom. :(

I'd like to try to remove the paint marks myself (just so it looks good enough to drive while I try to find the money to repair the door), but I've never done such a thing before, so I thought I'd kick off my research by seeing what you guys can suggest. I need a way to remove the marks from both the door and the molding. Thanks!

(I'm sorry if it's hard to tell in the picture, but the marks are tan and don't show up well on the silver.)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The marks on the painted surface will come off with polish and wax.
The marks on the molding will come off with a rag dipped in lacquer thinner.
Insurance will take care of it, less your collision deductible of course.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
The lacquer will definitely take the paint off the paint, but using it on the plastic may dull it. Go to your local auto parts store and get some bug and tar remover. That should take it off the plastic.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The lacquer will definitely take the paint off the paint, but using it on the plastic may dull it. Go to your local auto parts store and get some bug and tar remover. That should take it off the plastic.
The molding is already damaged, dulling it with lacquer thinner is a non-issue. Should make the damage less noticeable, the intent of the OP I reckon.
The gloss on the molding will come back with a plastic treatment anyhow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts