Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 power passenger seat switch has gone bad and needs replacing. How is the trim piece holding the switch removed? There are several plastic clips and I don`t want to break them by overmuscling. Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Had a similar problem with my 2010 - coupling under the seat snapped. Dealer attempted to fix it - utter failure.

Traded in that car fora 2013 SAP.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts
Here is the exploded view of the seat...hope this helps with your seat disassembly...and reassembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ScoobyDoo2. That looks like a manual seat, I have the power one. The main problem I have is finding the clips that hold it on. And I know they are all different with different release mechanisms. Do you know if they just pop off or do they have to be released somehow?

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,070 Posts
The PDF includes diagrams for both power and manual seats.

There are a couple clips on the rear/middle portion of the trim piece that pop off.
Then the whole trim piece needs to be pushed forward and off the front metal tab.
If you try to remove the front first, you will probably break it.

Have had to fix quite a few of these when people are exiting the vehicle & get their pant leg or shoe caught on the trim piece.
Ends up ripping the whole thing off and breaking off part of the plastic clip on the front.

Once you have it off its much easier to see how they designed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Finally got it off. For future searchers of this subject here`s two pics. In pic one the two pens point to two tabs on the round part that simply pull up and out to release. There is a third tab by my thumb that also pulls straight out and off. Do these first. In the second pic the right pen points to a round tab that is about halfway between the switch and the rear of the trim piece that simple releases by pulling out. Do this second. The left pen points to a slot that slides over a tab on the seat frame. Once the other attachments are released slide the trim piece forward and it will be off. The up/down and back/forth levers simply pull straight off. Prying gently with a screwdriver helps.
To release the wiring plug there is a small tab that needs to be pressed in with a small screwdriver. It turns out the switch worked but had developed some play in the toggle that didn`t allow it to run smoothly back and forth. Now that I know how to jiggle it to get it to work it`s fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
This is good info - I wanted to take apart my driver seat and create a "cut-off" switch for the driver's power seat so when I take it in places I can turn it off and not have to worry about someone messing with the settings and it taking forever to move back to where I like it.

Man to I miss the memory seats of my old car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
...In pic one the two pens point to two tabs on the round part that simply pull up and out to release...
Hi philodog. Thanks for posting those pics. Really helpful. In pic one, where you're pointing at the two tabs on the round part...what do those two tabs engage into? My dealer removed this trim piece when they replaced something for the lumbar support in my seat and now the trim piece won't stay on. It seems like there's something missing because there's nothing for those two tabs to grab onto. There's just the round metal piece of the seat frame (outlined in a red square in the diagram below). I've circled a part in the same diagram that looks like it might be what the clips go into. Do you see that on your seat? Is it plastic?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There is just a small rectangular slot that it snaps into. The slot is in a piece of plastic that is attached to the seat frame. Your pic didn`t get attached to your message but if all you see is metal then that plastic piece with the slot is missing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is just a small rectangular slot that it snaps into. The slot is in a piece of plastic that is attached to the seat frame. Your pic didn`t get attached to your message but if all you see is metal then that plastic piece with the slot is missing.
Thanks for the reply, philodog. Forgot the pic but based on your reply I think my suspicions are correct. Let's try the pic again...

There's just the round metal piece of the seat frame (outlined in a red square in the diagram below). I've circled a part in the same diagram that looks like it might be what the clips grab onto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts